The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Turning Skull (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FrankStone
View Profile
New user
South Africa/Taiwan
74 Posts

Profile of FrankStone
Any idea how to make a skull turn after it has been placed onto a table?

The effect I am working on is almost the same as "Eye of the Idol" but a bigger version where a skull will actually turn and face a spectator that removed something from the table.

I would like to do this without covering the skull in any way.
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
A good PK Gimmick can work in that case !

Or if you can justify to balance the skull on a nail (for example) like a spooky compas, you can probably also use IT.

See you soon,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hi Frank:
My suggestion is, having the Skull on a stand like apparatus, where it can turn freely. In the head of the skull a strong magnet must be installed. Use a chandelier for one or more candles in which is another magnet imbedded. When you move the chandelier the magnetic force makes the skull turn ever so slowly to face any position on the table. Get it?

ESPecially
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
petethecreeper
View Profile
New user
N. California
73 Posts

Profile of petethecreeper
I depends on how heavy your skull is (the one in your act, not the one in your head, silly).

There are several methods for turning and raising skulls outlined in books by Gibson and Dunninger.
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Roger Bacon (1214-1292) the English Fraciscan monk, scientist, and all round interesting chap, was said to have made a bronze head that spoke, and answered questions. It's another angle on the talking skull.

Incidentally, Bacon was known by the name Dr Mirabilis, which is a bizarrist name if ever there was one.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
Ted Lesley's idea is a good one. A "lazy susan" type of spinning platter/plate would work, although I would put a Neo-Dyme in the plate instead of the skull as to prevent any spectator's jewelry from becoming affected if they handle it. The other can be in your trouser pocket. Move accordingly.
Similar to CENDRE's idea, the Hand of Cleopatra gimmick would also work if you can locate one. These are tough to come by. I found mine after 10 years of searching!
Another idea is to use an Ultra Nut & Bolt gimmick that, while electric, and must be inside a book or under the table, would produce what you need remotely also. (See http://www.hocus-pocus.com for details)
You could also buy a miniature RC toy and gimmich the skull or stand.
I like your idea, good luck with it.
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I have some experience with magnets. You will probably need two very strong neodymium-iron magnets to make this work. Even then, the skull must be light weight, balanced on its pivot and very easy to rotate.

Note that these very powerful magnets require careful handling. If they get too close to each other or another ferrous metal, they will clamp with considerable force. (I lectured on magnets at a Weerd Weekend several years ago.)
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Quote:
On 2002-12-11 09:52, Bill Fienning wrote:
Note that these very powerful magnets require careful handling. If they get too close to each other or another ferrous metal, they will clamp with considerable force.

I can verify that. I've gotten some nasty blood blisters that way. Also you have to be careful when carrying these things around. Leave your credit cards at home. Smile

Jim Morton
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Nasty pinches and blood blisters are not the only danger. If you get a quartz-controlled wristwatch near these magnets, you risk permanent damage to the tiny motor inside.

Also, neodymium-iron magnets are very brittle. If two of them crash together or one crashes against a solid metal surface, they are likely to shatter or crack. The same is true for samarium-cobalt (not as strong and more expensive) and for ceramic magnets which are cheap, but not very strong. (Samarium-cobalt magnets are desirable for certain esoteric properties, like Curie temperature and hysteresis curve, that are not of concern to magicians.)

Use neodymium-iron magnets. Sometimes called neodymium-iron-boron magnets. The higher the grade number, the stronger the magnet. Grades 27 or higher are very strong. Thicker magnets are better than thinner ones.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Turning Skull (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL