The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » So sad! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
I agree about the diffusion of the magic art, and I think is right that you can find some magic tricks on a toy store, with the right price, but sometime I believe it's too sad finding good effects "opened" to anybody... about "Tenjo" in a dollar store?

Paolo Venturini
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2414 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
The public really doesn't care - really. There might be a lot of "ooh, how did you do that??" when you do a trick, but they'll forget it in an hour.

We magi tend to inflate our egos a lot with "never reveal the secret", but we're n ever gonna be all-powerful mystical shamans ... to the public, we're just entertainers with good special effects.

How many people have bought Svengali decks from a pitchman, and how many of them remember how it works? You could fool 90% of them with a Svengali deck with no trouble!
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
If the sum of the performer is encapsulated in his props, then he is indeed a poor performer.

I have seen the masters slay an audience with a thumb tip. And I can still ocassionally as rossmacrae noted, pull out a Svengali deck and have some real fun and produce some compelling magic with folks.

Don't lament the easy availability of the effects. Cry crocodile tears the lack of talent, imagination, and originality among the vast majority of "magicians" today.
The Doctor Knows.....
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
The dollar store sells the props, but not the magic. Give an eight year old a box containing 15 tricks for a buck. Odds are, they end up in the trash in a week.

Magic sets sit out on the department store shelves showing thumb tips, yet a skilled magician can still fool even those in the know.

For every person who shouts "I know how that is done" you have 500 spectators who are fooled (providing you are a true entertainer).
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Captain Jack
View Profile
New user
Sacramento
53 Posts

Profile of Captain Jack
I subscribe to what the Pendragon's said at the show I had a chance to catch last year.

(Paraphrasing) You might know the secret of how a trick is done, but that is not the secret of magic. The secret of magic is the theatrical framing of the trick. Yes, you may know how it is done, but won't care.

I have been working hard on my theatrics and I say something similar, if and when needed. Works for me.
Every man be a fool for 10 minutes each day. The trick is not in exceedin' the time limit!

Properly warned ye be, says I!
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I wonder how many fulltime pros got started using a toy store trick? I bought a ball vase when I was about 10 and look at me now. Wait a minute I don't do anything now...hehehe..but I am sure there are many that do. Hope that makes sense.
StevenMT
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » So sad! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL