The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How do you justify that your spectators must write their thought ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Florian Rago
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincolnshire
202 Posts

Profile of Florian Rago
I agree with sjdavidson. But to awnser your original question the awnser is that if you have worked your spectator enough or immersed them into the magic enough they will be like butter and they wont even think of questioning you in you actions.
If (in the rare situation) they do question then simply tell them that they have written it down so that they dont forget it , you then explain situations where people have forgotten and ruined the effect.

Just my humble oppinion Smile

Florian Smile
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
I suggest watching Bob Cassidy. Great exponent of billet work.
The Janitor
View Profile
New user
UK
8 Posts

Profile of The Janitor
I also struggle to justify the writing down of a word for it to used in a mind reading type effect - as has been stated previously, why write it down when you are supposed to be reading a mind.

However, in a different type of presentation I believe it is not out of place.

You may, for example, ask for a word to be written down that represents a bad thought/situation/feeling and this thought can then be destroyed symbolically by burning, tearing or whatever. The performer can then go on to reveal the thought and embellish the revelation through cold reading skills.

J
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Very good Janitor !

You hightlights a variation on an idea already posted (not very far from the idea of eric2104) and You give us another good way to dig in !

In fact the billet can be the basis of a good symbolic act. And that's very close to a lot of chamanic or ritual act.

The purification or the curse is linked to a secret but physical act. The action on the symbol leads to reaction on the physical target.

Thank you for your contribution Janitor !

And see you soon,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
vratkins
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans USA
151 Posts

Profile of vratkins
The Janitor brings up a good idea of using ritual magic as justification. Docc Hilford published something like this in "the new invocation". In that case, he used ritual as a justification for never revealing a second item (greatest fear), which fit the method.
I'm more of an "experimenter" type. One approach I've used is something like "I could just blut out what I feel, but you may think I'm just guessing ...'do you know a John??...' so I would like you to think of something specific." This is a subtle jab at cold-reading.
Another approach- "A lot of people are nice and give me credit when I'm really way off, so for later verification, please write it down..."
Here's what I say in my CT routine:" Mind reading is a misnomer, I can't read your mind like an open book; you have to transmit your thought by concentrating on a single image. .." To remain consistent, I make a big deal of them looking at what they wrote to "fix the image" in their mind.
You're the expert, if you say you read thoughts from their short-term memory, and they have to print it for a clear mental image, they'll buy it.
Regards,
Victor
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Quote:
On 2002-11-19 12:56, vratkins wrote:

Another approach- "A lot of people are nice and give me credit when I'm really way off, so for later verification, please write it down..."

This approach is the the field of the "proof" we already have mentionned.

But I like this approach morever if we have previously proved to the spectators that we can transform the perception of informations.
I explain : We try to prove that without a written proof, we can toy with spectators'thoughts so that they wont really know if we have really give the correct answer or if we have manipulate their mind.

Naturally, they will ask to keep a proof of what they thought. The problem is now reversed : That's not you who ask them to write, but that's them who asked you for writting their thought.

Very powerful for a good performer.

Thank you and see you soon;
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
Bill Palmatary
View Profile
New user
Burbank (LA), Ca, USA
47 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmatary
it seems like the mere notion that you would like to record their answer is something that the audience wouldnt question.

if you mention that later you will hold it up to compare, then the writing is for the audience, and they will be happy.
tiptophat
View Profile
Loyal user
Wesley
260 Posts

Profile of tiptophat
Its written for the purpose of utilizing as many of the sense's as possible to help convey the thought. We see it when we write it, we say it to ourselves when we write it, we hear it in our own minds when we write it.......just the above as one reason given in very simple terms
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How do you justify that your spectators must write their thought ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL