The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Need Help: Name For My Dove?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys!!

Hey guys... I am going to be getting a White Ringneck Dove in about 2 weeks, and begin my quest into Dove Magic... The only thing is that I have yet to choose a name... I need your guys' help! The sex of the dove is undetermined thus far, but it is most likely going to be male... I would really appreciate it if you guys posted a few names that would be good for the dove (both male or female names are fine) and it would be good if the names had something to do with magic...

Thanks for you help, and I hope I can find a name...
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, that's tough question. It's like picking out a name for your own son or daughter. I use Alex, Pete, snowball, Michelle, Mike, Mickey, Doris, Ben, pinky among others. I've found a good rule of thumb is that if I name the bird as a male, it will most likely be a female. It's so difficult to tell the actual gender of a dove (there are multiple topics in the forum about that)that it's usually best to pick a non-gender based name.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Dave,

Thanks for your help, and the provided names! I have been thinking myself and I have an idea about either "Jack", or "Sylvester" (If it's a male, of coarse)... I'd appreciate it if y'all threw out a few more 'magic related' names, or told me if you guys like the 2 names I am thinking of! :-D

Thanks!
-Vinnie
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
My first dove is named Pip. Pip is a Dickens character and the spot on a card so that worked well. The second one is named Gilly, because that was the noise she kept making when I first got her.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Coo, Bill, Spirit, Freebird, Tweetie, Ralph, Dusty, Mist, Flash (in the pan), to name a few possibilities...
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
I always use names for mythology for my animals. Here's a list of bird names from various mythology cultures.

Alkonost in Russian legends
Ba in Egyptian mythology
Bagucks in Chippewa mythology
Bar Juchne in Talmud
Camulatz in Maya mythology
Chamrosh in Persian mythology
The Cu Bird (el Pájaro Cu) in Mexican folklore
Noah's Dove in Christian religion
Feng-huang (Chinese Phoenix) in Chinese mythology
Firebird in Native American mythologies
Ember bird in Russian fairy tales
Gamayun in Russian folklore
Garuda in Buddhism and Hinduism
Gryphon in European mythology
Harpies in Greek mythology
Hokhokw in Kwakiutl mythology
Ho-o in Japanese, imported from Chinese; Fenghuang
Huginn and Muninn (Thought and Memory), Odin's two companion birds in Norse mythology
Jatayu in Hindu mythology
Kin-u in Japanese, imported from Chinese
Kwakwakalanooksiwae in Kwakiutl mythology
Phoenix in Egyptian mythology
Pisia in Native American mythology
Quetzalcoatl in Aztec mythology
Raven in Native American religions
Noah's Raven in the Bible
Roc in Persian mythology
Shang-Yang (a rainbird) in Chinese mythology
Simurgh in Persian mythology
Sirin in Russian folklore
Suzaku or Shu-jaku in Japanese, imported from Chinese
Tecumbalam in Maya mythology
Thunderbird in Native American religions
Xecotcovach in Maya mythology
Yatagarasu in Japanese mythology
Ziz in Talmud
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Doughlas, way too much free time, you would be better off practicing Smile

My daughter named my dove Barnum and told me that the next one should be Baily. I thought that was brilliant and stuck w/it.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Christian Dux
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Christian Dux
Merlin
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Magical Max Or Magical Maggie
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Well to start with it won't matter too much to the dove what its name is, since it is a bird brain and can't understand anyway. Do you plan on using the name in the act in some way? Most magicians after the lovely dove has done its dove business on some of ur best silks and props have no trouble finding any number of names for the dove. My best suggestion, if you don't really plan on using the name of the bird in the act, name it anything that suits you Sylvester is a very ironic bird name, since Sylvester pussy cat spent most of his bird brained time trying to eat tweety bird.
Far more important than the bird's name is your care and daily handling of the bird. If you are going to use a dove in an act, you need to handle it a lot every day, get it used to noise lights, etc. Feed and treat it very well. A dove that isn't well hand tamed and isn't properly prepared for audiences can mess up ur act, not dress it up.
Good Luck.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Snowflake
Snowball
Silky
Milky
Icecube
Diamond

These are some of the names I used on my former and present pets in the show. The reason I use them is because all my animals are white.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Maybe research the word "magic" in different languages and name the dove for one of those. It would be a fun research project and the names would not be gender based.

What id you wind up naming he bird anyway?

Another suggestion is just name her when you get her and see what the personality is like.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
floridamagic
View Profile
Regular user
lakeland Fl
157 Posts

Profile of floridamagic
My bird is named KFC.
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Why not

JacketDove
sleevedove
fly-backdove
split dove

etc. etc.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Well, what did you name her (or him)?

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks for all your help guys! Like I have said, I am getting the dove on January 14th... Right now, I have decided between Sylvester, or Jack, and have decided on Jack... I'm not sure if that'll be it's name, but that's what I'm leaning towards right now...

Keep em coming so I can make my final choice...
-Vinnie
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

If you name him Jack, his last name could be Goff!! Just a thought!

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
www.MagicEnhancer.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Quote:
On 2006-01-04 20:30, photius wrote:
Well to start with it won't matter too much to the dove what its name is, since it is a bird brain and can't understand anyway. Do you plan on using the name in the act in some way? Most magicians after the lovely dove has done its dove business on some of your best silks and props have no trouble finding any number of names for the dove.

I'm not sure I agree with you on this one. I find that the kids always want to know the bird's name. I think it is important to have a name that you are comfortable with and that will be OK with the kids.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
BAN
View Profile
New user
NJ
26 Posts

Profile of BAN
When I get a dove I'm going to name him/her Snowball! It is a nice name for a dove and it doesn't matter what gender. As for your to names I think Sylvester is best.

PS. my friends chinchilla is named Sylvester Smile
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-01-04 20:30, photius wrote:
Well to start with it won't matter too much to the dove what its name is, since it is a bird brain and can't understand anyway. Do you plan on using the name in the act in some way? Most magicians after the lovely dove has done its dove business on some of ur best silks and props have no trouble finding any number of names for the dove.

Yeah, I understand what you mean... I may just put together a routine where I classic force all 4 jacks to four different people, and get my applause, but then when I take all 4 of those jacks, and throw them into the dove pan, I could make them turn into "Jack", and introduce him into the show!

How's that sound?... And thanks for the idea!
-Vinnie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Need Help: Name For My Dove?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL