The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Canadian Currency or Halves? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
I'm just getting back into magic in general, and coin magic in particular... and I wonder if the more experienced Canadian magicians prefer using Loonies/Toonies [being more familiar coins to the audience], or using US half dollars?

Personally, I like the sound halves make [only when they're supposed to, of course!] and they seem to "glitter" a bit more than Canadian coins. But perhaps the magic is more real with "real" local coins? Maybe it depends on your presentation style?

I'm looking to purchase a quality gaff in the most appropriate currency, so any thoughts on this appreciated.
vsha2
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of vsha2
I've seen Canadian coins, and I really think halves are better, and the gaffs are more readily available. Walking liberties look fantastic. It really shouldn't make too much difference to the spectators, if you "show" that they are normal.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Thanks vsha2... that's my thinking also. However, I am looking ahead to effects that may require borrowed coins, and obviously here in Canada I would be unable to switch in a US gaff. The only recourse may be to cough up for [sputter sputter] gaffs in both currencies. BTW, I've seen Canadian gaffs made by Roy Kueppers and they look fantastic, although pricier than the usual Johnson standbys.

I'd be interested in other magicians' thoughts on the value of using local coins [Canadian, Euros etc] in effects, as oppossed to Halves. Anyone?
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
In terms of pure utility, wouldn't a shell be most comparable to the DL?

"...and we'll take this card..."
"...and we'll take this coin..."

Implicit in both is that two of something look like one of something, ostensibly to hide the second something. Or something.

Granted, I'm comparing a sleight to a gaff, but from the perspective of the vic-- um, the spectator... we're achieving the same effect. No?

-jjg
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
I like performing with Toonies. They have a nice size, which makes them easily seen, and they are common to Canadians. In fact, the only non-Canadian coins I like working with are the Copper/Silver/Brass transpo.

It's an effect/gaff set with a Mexican Centavo, American Half, and Chinese coin. Andit comes with ungaffed coins as well. Which make it one hell of a set.

At any rate, the Canadian gaffs are readily available. Roy Kueppers is the only one making them as a regular item. In fact I stock most of his line at The SpookClub. You local shop should carry them as well.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Using foreign currency arouses suspicion, unless you can weave it into an appropriate story. Also, the Twoonie is a beautiful, two-coloured coin, and think of the possibility of popping out the inner gold coin from the outer part. Unfortunately I find the twoonie is too small for back-palming. For platform or stage I would use U.S coins, for close-up Canadian. My two cents worth.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Todsky, I agree on the Twoonie - a beautiful coin, but just too small for my CP. Works well with ROV though. And thanks Wayne, for the Kueppers note... I've seen his work and it's impressive. We're lucky to have such a talent making gaffs in our currency.

Just a note, I did buy the Johnson HH set, and I love it. If I'm going to include a foreign coin in a routine, then I prefer the US version of HH. The centavo never looks right to me. I do want to get hold of a Kueppers Twoonie [ next!
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I like the old Canadian Silver Dollar coins. They are a nice weight and bigger than halves but not so big as our "Ike" dollars.

A great coin for magic.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Wsduncan... I'll have to look into Canadian Silver Dollars. Any other Canadians use these?
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Tony Eng uses them. That's where I first saw them.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Canadian silver dollars are almost exactly the same diameter as US halves, but they're as thick as US silver dollars.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
I like using Twonies - they are a very suitable size for my CP and BP. Loonies as well. (And Bob's your uncle...)
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
I use silver dollars for some of my coin routines. They work great for Michael Ammar's coins through silk. There's also a routine that I want to add to my repertoire as soon as I can get an Okito box made for them.

Silver Dollars shine really nicely and make a good sound, easy to palm. The other great thing about them is you can hand them out for "examination" without arousing suspicion simply by saying "Do you know what these are" since most Canadians under the age of 40 have never seen one. They have a couple of drawbacks because of their size. First of all they're heavy so if you drop them by accident, you might scratch the table. Also because of their size and thickness, it's easy to count the size of a stack of coins from farther away - it would be very difficult to try and pass five coins as four in a close-up situation. Also if you ask a spectator with smaller hands to hold one in their fist, they may not be able to conceal it completely.

Also, I would be terrified to bring out US half dollars unless I had a really good/logical reason for using foreign coins; they would just seem out of place. On stage would be another story, since nobody would be able to tell.

Rutabaga - I get my silver $'s from a place on Yonge St, just south of Queen (sorry, the name escapes me right now) They're $8 apiece.

James
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I like toonies, but find that the American halves are much easier to CP because of their deeper milling on the edges. The toonies really are very smooth.

The Voyageur dollar (a nickel-plated dollar) is nice, if a bit heavy. It isn't all that common, so it might arouse the same suspicion that foreign coins do.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Canadian Currency or Halves? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL