The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Frustration (not the move) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hobbymagic
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas
61 Posts

Profile of hobbymagic
I performed the Virginia City Shuffle for a group the other day at a social event. Later someone commented that it was a great illusion. Another person said it was done with trick cards. Any suggestions as to how to dispel the notion that all magic tricks are preformed with gaffs?
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Aside from the millions of suggestions about "presentation", have people bring their own decks to you.
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Did you hand them the cards at the end of the effect? They were not gaffed, so what better demonstration than let them check the cards? Smile
And, BTW, why do you care of what's in spectator's minds? Every time you will heard the most strange explanations of how you did your tricks... Let them think what they want, it's part of the game Smile

Dave
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Without wishing to appear rude, if I thought that the spectators suspected trick cards I would first look at my presentation and then my handling to make sure there were no real flaws. If you are happy about both of these things, then just give the suspicious person the cards as a gift. If you buy a one way forcing deck and a set of blanks you have 17 sets and can afford to give away the occasional cards.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Ive used this line:

spectator: "It must be trick cards, you handsome man!"

Me: "You are right!"
-turning to the rest of the group-
Me: "Not really, but I had to tell him something or he'd NEVER get to sleep tonight!"

Then, I like to find the prettiest girl in the room (cause I'm shallow) and make out with her, reaffirming her belief in magic....
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
LOL, good answer, Nordatrax.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2006-01-04 17:16, KidCrenshaw wrote:
Aside from the millions of suggestions about "presentation", have people bring their own decks to you.

Nothing says louder a regular deck than a borrowed deck.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2006-01-04 16:38, hobbymagic wrote:
I preformed the Virginia City Shuffle for a group the other day at a social event. Later someone commented that it was a great illusion. Another person said it was done with trick cards. Any suggestions as to how to dispel the notion that all magic tricks are preformed with gaffs?

Someone said it was a "great illusion". That's a pretty powerful compliment. I'd be happy hearing something like that.

Regardless of your presentation - which I don't recall you describing - there will ALWAYS be someone who wants to bust you. You can perform as the most non-confrontational personality type or as an overtly challenging persona, and someone will want to say you used trick cards.

The best you can do is develop your persona, presentations etc to minimize this sort of thing from occurring. It'll still happen on occasion though. If you can show the cards, coins, rings etc you used after an effect as clean, my personal preference is to do it in such a way that it doesn't appear that you're trying to prove anything - rather than saying "and you can see these aren't trick cards" as you display them one by one.
tjo'
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
If you can show the cards, coins, rings etc you used after an effect as clean, my personal preference is to do it in such a way that it doesn't appear that you're trying to prove anything - rather than saying "and you can see these aren't trick cards" as you display them one by one.

Exactly. Make it casual and subtle. Don't OVER prove anything. There's no need to OFFER to let them examine the cards. If the trick ends clean, just leave the cards laying on the table within reach of the spectator and go on to doing something else.

Just the fact that the cards are sitting right there where they CAN grab them and examine them (and you're not the least bit concerned about it) is usually enough to satisfy most people. And even if you have that one guy who just HAS to check them out to figure out how it's done, that's all the better... because you are CLEAN and they can examine until the cows come home and won't find anything.

I always do at least one trick with a standard deck first to establish that the cards are normal. Once you've gained that confidence, you can always ring in an invisible deck or something. They're not going to be prone to RE-checking your cards once they've checked them out.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
BTW, isn't the "move" called the "Flustration" count with an L?
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
magicbob74358
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicbob74358
Quote:
On 2006-01-04 17:16, KidCrenshaw wrote:

Virginia City Shuffle cannot be performed with a regular deck, its a packet effect, so there goes that idea. Generally speaking, Virginia City Shuffle tends to look like "trick cards" mainly because of the blank card that is used, no one ever thinks the mental photography is being done with a regular deck. When I perform Virigina City Shuffle, I try to take the focus off of the cards and put it onto the people, it's almost performed as a gambling routine, but not nearly as serious as one. Generally I perform this is an opener, certainly not the most hard hitting thing I do, It's really used to get people in a fun mood.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Frustration (not the move) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL