The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Buying Beef Jerky on the net...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Hi, I have to say: I love this stuff!!!
I know Beef Jerky probably has been on sale in the US since the civil war, lucky for us up north is that it's just been released here in Norway, through various 7-11's..
Problem is it comes with a very high pricetag (taxes etc.)..
The large 100gram Jack Link's bag costs about $9,50 (!).

I was wondering what's you favorite Jerky brand, and where do I get the best offers on net?

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
The BEST beef jerky I ever ate was the stuff my Uncle used to make in his oven.
Do a Google search and you will find hundreds of sites with information on making your own.
Here is just one site to get you started: http://www.microwebtech.com/
As far as commercial jerky's there are lots of good and bad ones on the market, best to make your own (an less expensive too).
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of cardone
When I was in high school I got an ulcer in my mouth ....a big one ... went to the Dr......
After a few visits they came to the conclusion it was caused from the sodiun nitrate that is found in beef jerkey. I was eating it every day with my lunch.. I stoped and it cleared up in a few weeks.....It could have turned to cancer. Sodium nitrate is poison.
Make your own .
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
A few months ago I posted my Award Seeking Barbecue Sauce. Another of my yet to be famous recipes will get you started making your own beef jerky. This is just a foundation, and can be modified a little or a lot to suit your liking.

Quote:
Greg's Award Seeking Jerky Recipe
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons mollasses (or more brown sugar or honey)
  • 1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
  • 1/2 teaspoon tobasco sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Freeze 1-1/2 pound flank steak for about an hour just until stiff enough for easier cutting. Cut into 1/8 inch thick slices long way with the grain. Soak overnight in a mixture of the above ingredients then pat dry with paper towel and lay out in single layer on cooling racks. Put in oven at "warm", or about 150°F with oven door ajar for 12 hours. Remember, you are drying the meat not cooking it. Do not over heat. Do not hurry. Store in jars or ziplock bags.
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
369 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
I like Soylent Green!
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
Quote:
On 2006-01-06 17:52, D Byrd wrote...

I like Soylent Green!

You may substitute any of various meat products for the flank steak in the recipe above. Smile
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
So seriously the jerky you can make at home is as good as the one you buy?

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Pemmican anyone?

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2213 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Agreed, make your own! If you have the nerve, sit down one day with several different brands and see the additives in the jerky you buy, then do some lite research about those preservatives and additives and your next stop will probally be to a dept. store for a dehydrator. The process of making you own is very simple and you control what is in your cosumables.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
On 2006-01-06 18:22, geemack wrote:
Quote:
You may substitute any of various meat products for the flank steak in the recipe above. Smile

Did you tell them we've actually shish-kabobed roadkill venison?? Smile

(That should start a nice conversation.)

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
Quote:
On 2006-01-13 10:34, Eirik wrote...

So seriously the jerky you can make at home is as good as the one you buy?

At least as good, yep!

Quote:
On 2006-01-15 15:24, Michael Baker wrote...

Did you tell them we've actually shish-kabobed roadkill venison?? Smile

I hadn't mentioned that, but as I recall part of that got turned into some pretty tasty jerky, too. Sort of falls in line with Stanyon's pemmican suggestion. And I'll leave out the part about how it wasn't technically roadkill because, well, because it was still alive when we came across it.

Greg
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Bottom line is... If you want good stuff without the expensive price tag, make your own.. but you will have to be patient as you learn how.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I absolutley love it! Altho it is very expensive, so I barely buy it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Buying Beef Jerky on the net...? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL