The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thinking of changing my approach to learning......what do you think? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I had initially decided to work primarily on card sleights and a few gaffs here and there until I was 'good' with cards. Then I would switch to coins and so on. Now I'm thinking about this.

Week one: learn NEW card techniques.
Week Two: Learn NEW coin techniques, practice cards from week one.
Week Three: Learn new Silk techniques, practice cards & coins from week one & two.
Week four: Learn new Rope? Practice cards, coins & silks from weeks 1-3.

I'm not sure about week four yet, maybe I could dedicate it to building routines or just reviewing everything.

Of course,week five = week one all over again.

What do you think?

My goal is to become proficient enough that I can entertain, use some magic in my class (adults) and MAYBE someday do a paid party now and then.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Jim
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
I personally would do it by months because you need to practice what you learn and you need to "take your time" on what you learn and don't rush .. so I say in months unless you have absolutly nothing to do every day of the week then I say go ahead do it in weeks... tell me how this turns out

Magically Yours
Magical Odyssey
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Oh yeah, as for how much time I have available...
Up to today, almost all day everyday, but that will change next week when I get a new load of students.

Then I will be able to dedicate one hour per day 6 days a week and a couple on Sunday. Then I can 'fiddle' on breaks and during lunch.

So far we have one vote for a monthly rotation...any others?
Tks again
Jim
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I've been thinking on your ideas and although interesting,
you are setting up restraints.
I think it would be better to learn tricks without a program. And maybe spend 30 mins a day on the pass, palming a coin and side stealing a card.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I would agree with the months approach. Yes you can learn to "do a trick" in a week, but not perform a trick. Why do you think pros who have years of experience performing and doing tricks still spends months in rehersals? Real performance, what marks a good magician from a hack magician, takes time, lots of time. You have to not only know how to do the trick flawlessly, but you have to be able to perform well. It takes time to develop performance. Spend time in front of the mirror til you can't stand to look at yourself anymore, then use a video camera. You will be surprised what you see on the video camera you didn't see in the mirror. And pay attention to ur timing and presentation. Any 7 year old kid witha magic kit can do a trick. ( I know I used to be a 7 year old kid with a magic kit) A magician is someone who can take the simplest "trick" and make it a performance.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Weeks, months, years, I am against setting a certain amount of time to learn an effect. Practice it till youve perfected it, no matter how long that takes. I also recomend keeping your study materials to one effect at a time. If you look through these forums you'll also find posts on the subject of scripting and rehersal, I know because I wrote at least one of them. Don't just assume you are realy smooth and can improvise what you say. I think you are taking entirely structured an aproach to all of this. Magic is a career you decide to enter after you have perfected it, not before.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I would also go with the month approach. I mean: are you sure you can go on with this programm every week? I don´t think so - therefore I would say you should change it every month to be more flexible.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Ryan 101
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
164 Posts

Profile of Ryan 101
I think that is a good system. You should awalys be open to new things. Also think about what kind of style and immage you want to have as a performer(comedy, classical, etc.). But most importantly have fun.

Ryan
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I'm far from performing, but I see myself as a sort of close up bizzare mental midget funny guy Smile

I think one error I have been making is that I have tried to learn sleights alone. I haven't really tried to learn any EFFECTS to use them with to make them stick in my mind.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2006-01-08 10:50, Jim Poor wrote:
I see myself as a sort of close up bizzare mental midget funny guy Smile

I think you just created a new magic category Jim.
"Close up bizzare mental midget funny magic " Smile

Find a couple of effects and routines that appeal to you and learn them.
Not a lot. Maybe two or three to start.
If the sleights used in them don't work for you then search for alternatives.
By working with routines you will learn sleights and at least have some things to perform.
stormchaser
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, AB
200 Posts

Profile of stormchaser
Actually, what I suggest is getting a general magic book (Like "The Magic Book" by Lydia Darbyshire) and working through it. However, I expect your approach will work, as long as you stick to it.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician.

Don't run when no-one's chasing you.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Here's some personal advise..."make haste slowly". It sounds like you're taking a crash course on magic. Practice slowly at first and get the details of the sleight down before you work on any speed. Practice until you can't do it wrong, it should become second nature. Learn to practice with relaxation and finesse, "lightly does it". Placing time constrictions on practice can lead to sloppy technique. Pick out a few venues such as cards and coins and concentrate on them. A lot of magic can be performed with just those two props and remember it's not the number of props that make the magician. Good luck!
:bikes: Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Another good question. Personally, I was loved cards from the start and basically worked like a fiend until I had my basic to intermediate card chops down pretty pat. Then I went to coins. We are talking like 4 years of cards, then on to coins. From there I added things quite quickly. Billiard Balls were no big deal as coin work as taken care of the basics for both, etc.

Except if you get bored, you may want to spend more time getting down the basics of one thing at a time before moving on. I ran and taught in 4 different magic schools over 30 years time and a class situation was by it's nature more broad over a shorter period of time, but I am not convinced that it is the best way to go except as an introduction to the craft. Best,
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thinking of changing my approach to learning......what do you think? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL