The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Work with fairy tales (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
This semester I'm completing research on fairytale interpretation toward my Masters degree in counseling. Can you share what fairytales you regularly use in your performances? Just the names of the stories will suffice, but I am also especially interested in how your telling of the story has changed over time and please why. What is your own favorite fairytale whether or not you perform with it? Thank you so much for helping me.

Posted: Feb 4, 2006 10:32pm
Feel free to pm me if you're reluctant to respond by post. No tricks, no routines...just the names of fairtales or stories of fairytale fashion will be of help. Is so?
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I don't have any favorites nor do I perform them but I do like the challenge of incorporating magic into them.

Here's a topic.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&21

Here are some Fairy Tales.
http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~wbarker/fairies/grimm/
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Thank you, Jaz. You have consistently helped me since I joined the Café. Your references are appreciated. Yup, I'm going for the Fitzkee Principles and correlations thereafter in comparison to fairytale magical motif formulas. It's like in ethnomusicology when one discovers the sameness of Navajo Women Corn Planting songs with Scottish Women Loom Waulking songs.

inner being worker
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
You're welcome.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
First part of research project completed with special thanks to ants, reeds, and eagle on time. Thanks also Corona, Cinemagician, Slim, Gerard and Ha-Ha-Harbinger for your invaluable consultation. Entity, your advice on remote viewing security guards was especially invaluable when we encountered the dark ship with the seven of spades nailed to its mast somewhere around Stonehenge or the Easter Islands back in January although I know you must deny knowledge of such. TonyEye, Pizza Huts are more condusive to mediums than previously speculated. We are just back from Laconia.

inner being worker
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24216 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is the first time I spotted this post.

There are some interesting stories about the Grimm brothers that don't seem to make it into the textbooks. They were supposedly collecting the "Hausmärchen" in order to trace the development of the German language. According to Punx, they collected more of these from diplomats than from the peasantry.

The Grimms were a very important link in the chain of events that led to the Holocaust.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Will you share some more of your thoughts, Mr. Palmer? I treasure your translation of Once Upon a Time.

inner being worker
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24216 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't want to go into the Grimms' involuntary contribution to the development of nationalism in Germany, because that is an extremely sensitive issue, and parallels to it were also occurring in France, England, Spain and the rest of Europe, as well. We were experiencing something like it over here with our "Manifest Destiny."

Their work was in the field of philogy, and they were the ones who figured out much of the ways that language evolved over the centuries. In fact, one of their observations -- Grimms' Law of Linguistic Mutation -- is still used by linguists.

Regarding the "Hausmärchen," though. They collected a lot of these at parties, from people who would say -- "Well, my old nanny used to tell the story of ..." and they would go into the story. This is not really the way that it needs to be done. It needs to be done by going out into the wilds of Bavaria, Hesse, Pomerania, etc., and collecting them right from the source.

However, most of the stories were much shorter than we see them presented today. For example, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," in the original is very short, compared to the Disney epic. The dwarves are only briefly mentioned, and are not given the personalities of Sneezy, Grumpy, Happy, Dopey, Bashful, Sleepy and Doc. This is all elaboration by Walt Disney et. al.

And the web versions of these things are full of errors. Kay Vandergrift's web site has nothing but translations -- some of which are full of typos. And others grossly oversimplify the linguistic aspects of the stories -- which is why they were collected in the first place.

Little Red Ridng Hood is another example -- it's a very short piece. But it gets expanded into a 45 minute epic. Sometimes it becomes even longer than that.

So what's the lesson here?

What happens when you tell a long story to children? If you don't garnish it with the magic of the voice, they fall asleep.

Your audiences will do the same.

Posted: Mar 11, 2006 5:52pm
I have posted some thoughts about storytelling in my column. It discusses the use of the voice.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
The voice is the path for leading people into and from the perilous castle.

inner being worker
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24216 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It also allows you to lead them down the garden path and then turn on the sprinklers.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Like Brother John. To paraphrase Jung, "We build a magnificent castle then live in a dirt hut outside of it, forever looking out, gazing at the castle and wondering who lives there."

Posted: Mar 27, 2006 11:59pm
I've been to the tower twice Jung built for himself. It's on the river. The people in the village knew him only as the old stone-cutter.

inner being worker
Williamanon
View Profile
New user
Atlantic Canada
45 Posts

Profile of Williamanon
You all might be interested in this

Russian Fairy Tales
The Pantheon Fairytale & Folklore Library
ISBN:0-394-73090-9
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
"Metamorphoses began to take hold all around me. I was breathing life into the book through my hand, and the book was breathing back out through me into the world."

--Wesley Stace, "Misfortune" (2006, Vintage)

Posted: Jun 21, 2006 2:38am
A symbol of the Guild here in Zargon is the tail of a small fish hanging from the mouth of a large fish.

Laconia's Summer Solstice (Sun Standing Still) gives way to an honoring of Shadow and a celebration of the ephemeral.

Isso is not Dr. X but the latter might be Solara Velossa now....the Joyce philter courses through fiber optic arteries and a cultural feminist make-over tempers ego domination's over-compensating Y chromosome.

Inner beings can go anywhere at a moment's notice...in one eighth of a hand-clap, actually, as the old Zen master used to say. Hordes of them stream through our consciousness everyday but we censor their presence as undesirable. How can you fear the not-real?

Ah, now we're in fairy-tale territory. They don't all resolve or end happily, you know, and only half have to do with royalty of some sort, anyway. Some of us inner beings don't give a fig for hierarchy. Figs have too much seratonin content when consumed in vast quantities. We choose the magical flight motif instead and we've waited for the Solstice to engage our journey away from this garden.

We give our collective energy to Jack Galloway simply because he's the best performer here.

Dr.X, you are the funniest!!! Strange gestalts appear in your absence. You cut-up, you!!!

Instead of creating a fairytale, we have been astonishingly absorbed into those of others.

--Isso, Isnot, Ellen, Solara, Little Egypt, The Mechanic, Ansiru, Amanuensis, Mousewoman and Halcyon

TEE HEE TEE HEE NOW IT'S REVEALED
TEE HEE TEE HEE NOW IT'S CONCEALED

inner being worker
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I say travel safe Isso and good bye.

You were a fun fellow to know.

Jim

H.O.a-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Thanks, Jim. Isso made it beneath the alp to interview the dream generators but he had to take workshops on the archetypes of leadership and apocalypse and learn how to use the mandala patchkit. And assist his friend, the last of the Appalachian Beat poets, move to cool bay breeze. The fox carried off the seventh sword in Isso's garden as he watched through the bars of his ashram window. The Doktor sent the implant and Isso contraverted. There are others. To the east and west. Not so sure about north or south. Or the vertical ones. Yet.

H D X!

--Lydia 13

Posted: Sep 7, 2006 10:25pm
Isso found the others. He and Ellen both got an A in their fairytale class! Jack's WorldfirstClass Cyberseance beckons October 30 and Jim will post an intriguing video soon. Tony and Dr. Spektor have begun fascinating books. Slim and Bean amaze! And Doktor X's BULLDOG will be released on September 25th! Isso's friend and editor Corona has returned from Spain and begins a new chapter on his seethestrangething blogspot where Little Doug gained well-deserved notoriety and the Dr. X Interview literally shocked patrons of the Giger Bar. The Seven Lydias arrived from 1921 to help move Isso forward and, after having their own adventures, will re-unite this Sunday. Bill, Isso made it to Jung's Library this time.

H D X!

--Lydia 19 end of the line

Posted: Sep 13, 2006 7:31pm
Seven Lydias, Isso, Dr. X and Little Dougie gone, all gone. 7777777777777777777777777777777777777

Lucia

inner being worker
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
It has been a good summer for fairy tales,

Farewell lydias, X's, isso's and doug's...

Corona.
Eman
View Profile
Regular user
Bloomington, Indiana
141 Posts

Profile of Eman
Quote:
On 2006-09-13 19:36, Corona Smith wrote:
It has been a good summer for fairy tales,

Farewell lydias, X's, isso's and doug's...

Corona.

It was especially good for making our own, at least in my opinion.

Farewell Isso and Lydias! May your search for X prove successful!
And Corona, best of luck to you on your search for Doug! I live in the States, and if you ever need help searching the Midwest (especially Indiana) send me a message.

-Enigma
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Mom made one thing clear in her fairytale research....unless the protagonist follows the magical animal's instructions explicitly, all is finished.

Posted: Oct 21, 2006 9:15am
Crocodilla on the floor
Crawling, crawling toward the door
Crocodilla wants some more
Yeah he wants a cappuccino
Crocodilla in the villa
Wants a cappuccino pronto
Let him play the grotto lotto
Lucky number eight eight eight

All Hail Dr. X for Halloween!!

Lucia and Isso and Solara

inner being worker
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3793 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I write my own fairy tales like "the X-Mas Gift", IRMA, "the Russian Princess", "Captain Vanderdeken's Tobacco Pouch" and many others. You can find some on my website and in my books.
Belgium has a tradition of magical realism.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Yes, Curator. Once Isso and the Mechanic found a radioactive black diamond in a Belgian import's carburator.

L

inner being worker
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Work with fairy tales (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL