The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Unique (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I recently got Eddie Gibson's Coin Unique. I like it a lot. It's well made and I came up with a reset that is quick, easy and very discreet.

I do the Bare Hand Vanish and hand the coin to the spec as part of the trick to take suspiscion off the coin.

So far, this has worked very well and no one has noticed the gimmick (except one guy, but he has also done magic as a hobby so I don't count him).

It sure seems to me that the gimmick is much easier to spot than in Scotch and Soda, for example. I guess the key here is to do as I have been doing and take the heat off the coin.

Does anyone have any experience with Coin Unique? Any suggestions?
Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
I've used coin unique for years, don't know if you're in UK or US, but I'm in the UK, I use 2 pound 2p version. I don't hand the coin out at all, cause it won't stand up to scrutiny, casual handling is ok. Partly cause as it gets older it slackens off a bit, and tends to rattle a little, but that's not a problem. And why should they check it out? It's just a coin after all!

IMO the strongest thing you can do with a coin unique is to cleary put both coins into the specs hand at the finger base as described in the instructions, they can see them both there as they close the fist. Now you show your hand empty and make a fist. Have them think of one of the coins, they open their hand, the coin they thought of is gone. Open your hand, there it is. This freaks people out.

When they open their hand I pick up the 2 pound to show the 2p isn't underneath it, and to get it to safety! And if they think of the wrong coin it doesn't matter, patter covers this. i.e. "Think of one of the coins, we're going to get rid of one of them, which coin do you want" Suitably ambiguous, look you've got the coin you wanted, I've got the other one.

Having them open their hand first ensures they've nested. You probably don't have to have the spec say which coin they're thinking of, you could just say "open your hand". I havent tried this cause I think it's open to them saying "you got the wrong one".

Anyway this is such a strong effect it's about the only thing I do with my coin unique. To finish I vanish the coins. Since they stick together you can sleeve them if you're brave (too much risk of losing it for me!). PM or email me if you want to discuss details.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I'm in the US. I use the half and quarter version. I like that effect to. The only reason I am leary of it is because my coin unique is not reliable. It sometimes requires a little bit of manipulation to get it to nest. Even when everything lines up properly, it sometimes sticks out a little and needs to be pressed into place.
Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
hmmm that's unfortunate. It might improve as it slackens a bit with age. You can always tell the spec to squeeze tightly. That plus the correct positioning of the coins on their hand should be enough to get them nesting.

Here's a link to a really offbeat application of coin unique.

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=244
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
pg1013

If the coins don't nest fully then all you have to do is turn the coin over to show both sides and in doing so pinch the coin yourself.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I've tried that but there's a telltale click when they nest.

Thanks for the link, Andy!
Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
nest and un nest your coin unique over and over and it will smooth the edges of the insert. After a while it will nest more easily.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I'll do that. I also just discovered that when it sticks, if I shake it lightly in my fist, it will nest fully without making that loud click. Just a little shake does it, it's almost not even noticable. That should help.

I like Coin Unique a lot, I think the intstant reset alone is very valuable and the coin is very well made. No one notices the gaff as long as your presentation takes the suspicion off of the coin. Even when I hand it to them, they only glance at it and get right back to looking for the vanished quarter.

Thanks everybody!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Unique (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL