The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Need a review of "Dream of Aces" by Gary Ouellet (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
HI everyone,

for those of you who have used this trick, I would really like to have your opinion on it, and please tell what you like (and dislike) the most about it and is it really such a strong trick?

Thanks for your inputs!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
magic hands
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
176 Posts

Profile of magic hands
I have this..I was not that impressed with the way the cards setting up is handled..

I love McDonalds aces and was looking for a better way to get into the set up that looked fairer but do not like dream of
aces..Just my opinion though..
You cam PM me for better description..

Don
kermitthefrog
View Profile
Regular user
France
128 Posts

Profile of kermitthefrog
I'm a Gary Ouellet fan, but am not crazy about this particular effect. As you presumably realize, it is simply his handling of McDonald's Aces, which also is available in many other forms (including vol. 2 of Michael Ammar's series, one of the old Dai Vernon books, Derek Dingle's big book, etc.). Ouellet's handling involves revealing two of the packets to be "aceless" at the same time, which isn't my preference. If you're a big student of McDonald's aces, I recommend the tape as a handling worthy of your consideration. If not, I might suggest getting to know the effect through one of those other handlings.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2288 Posts

Profile of Logan
This product, in my opinion, is just like any other McDonald's Aces effect. The only difference is the method involved and possibly the patter as well.

The booklet you get talks on the history of McDonald's Aces and the moves taught a pretty cool, like there's one cut where the deck is cut into four, and on top of the 4 packets is each ace.

What i like about this handling is that you can show the aces to be clean. You can show front and back and THEN you set out 3 seperate cards at 4 locaions on the table. You then 'chuck' the aces down and then put the deck away and pick the aces up again and its done, the switch for the gaffed cards are made! It's really cool as I was quite fooled with that switch!

Anyways, I learnt alot from this, but maybe you may not, it depends.

If this is your first go at McDonald's Aces, then I think you should get this, if you know how it's done but looking for a different handling, you MIGHT want to get this, but then again, it's up to you.

Cheers,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
This is only a second-hand opinion, but I have it on good authority that D of A is a bit disappointing. I'd recommend working out your own handling of the McDonald Aces.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I disagree. I think this is a beutiful, magical and theatrical presentation for an already powerful effect. I think it flows much better than the "standard" handling (references for which were given in an earlier post above), and I have seen Gary do it in person in front of laypeople--they absolutely freaked out! In my opinion, this is the most beautiful and strongest handling for this classic effect I've ever seen.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Stefan Rupar
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Stefan Rupar
Please note that my critique of Dream of Aces
is directed ONLY at the presentation. The technical aspects and handling are quite good.

But the presentation could be problematic for many magicians and their lay audiences.

You are asked to frame the trick with a story which is banal and designed to tug at the heartstings of your specs; to bring this off with a card trick will take a terrific ability on your part for dramatic recitation and a heightend empathy with your audience. Good luck.

Then, your audience is expected to follow along without any explanatory patter on your part whilst you coordinate all your moves to an emotional musical piece (you'll need to pay royalties on the music of you are getting paid}.

I think this was Gary's (God rest his soul) PIPE Dream of Aces.
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
I've used Dream of Aces many times without music (in fact, I've never used music). My set up is a little shorter than Gary's. I have never (and would never) use this as a walk-around piece. The reset is not a quick one. This is a piece like Aldo Colombini's Pre-Deck-Ability. It has to be done as a closer in a group set up for major impact as it just can't be followed with anything else.

If you can't tell. I highly recommend this version.
Just my two drakma worth,
Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
aposjf12
View Profile
New user
New York City
91 Posts

Profile of aposjf12
It is a handling of MacDonald's Aces as previously mentioned. I do like the way the cards are 'set up' even though it can look fishy. It works for me though. I find that the Ammar handling is also quite ideal and looks more natural.
maratekin
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of maratekin
One common misconception about this effect is that it's the version that David Copperfield uses in his "Grandfather's Aces" routine. There are some similarities (for example, the patter and music are similar to that used by DC), but the effect is not identical to the DC version.

The package comes with the instructions, necessary gimmicks, and an instructional video. Gimmicks can be ordered (online, I believe) at Camirand Academy.

Not a bad purchase - just make certain you don't buy it to learn Copperfield's version of the ace assembly.

Take care -

Mark
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
Copperfield has one extremely hard sleight that I don't think a lot of people have the guts to do.
and if you don't practice its easy to screw up. (unless, I don't really know what I'm talking about)

can you guess what the sleight is?

no, its not the halfpass or the pietforton hiphop popout move.

;)
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
When I first did the dream of aces switch I was amazed by it way it slides under the radar. I had thought everyone caught me on it but, no one noticed. I think if you do some variation on the vanishes it looks a lot better. Great effect and well worth the money.

Lee
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
The part that concerns me is that if you can't hide the 3 d*** aces under the leader ace and just put 3 "supposedly" unidentified cards in the beginning, it lessens the effectiveness of the cards vanishing and coming back.

but if you do manage to do that, and perform this regularly, there'll probably be a time when you'll screw up Smile
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17309 Posts

Profile of joseph
Want to see how this looks done to music? Watch Justin Flom perform it here:

http://flommagic.com/justin/aces/

Smile Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
I must agree with Mr. Guinn on this one. I have used this version in my show for years. No matter what else I do...people are always talking about "the card trick". This is one beautiful piece of magic!

I will say this concerning this particular version. I think that this handling is better for stage than for close up. Close up is a different type of envoronment and I personally think that there are better methods for this venue.

The endearing story and the musical choreography with the cards really makes this a very theatrical (and memorable) stage effect.

I use this towards the end of my show using a projector and camera. In fact...I felt that this effect was so strong...it is the sole reason I invested in the projector and camera! I call this the $4,000 card trick...but for me...it is worth so much more...

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Get it for the layout of the cards. the switch is absolutly brilliant !

Nimrod , Israel
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
Thanks for the clip Joseph!

I guess "Cousins" is the standard music to use this trick to all the time.
I guess if ever I manage to get around actually performing it, I don't have to worry about DDCI suing me Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8736 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It's been 10 years since this came out? Time goes by so fast....

This was a BIG release at the time ( on vhs, now transferred to DVD ). It still holds up as a major release. What they did was take McDonald's $100 Routine ( Dai Vernon's More Inner Secrets of Card Magic ) and turned it into elegant, magic theater.

Hard to believe it's only $22.50.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S5954
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10734 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2012-09-28 02:18, Zombie Magic wrote:
It's been 10 years since this came out? Time goes by so fast....

This was a BIG release at the time ( on vhs, now transferred to DVD ). It still holds up as a major release. What they did was take McDonald's $100 Routine ( Dai Vernon's More Inner Secrets of Card Magic ) and turned it into elegant, magic theater.

Hard to believe it's only $22.50.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S5954

I have owned and Loved Dream Of Aces for many years - it is something special.

I need to dust it off and re-learn the moves again as I used to be really good at it in the day.

Even close up I always got strong reactions to it.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Fairhaven, MA
315 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
Great routine! Also have it. Amazing how these old threads pop back up from time to time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Need a review of "Dream of Aces" by Gary Ouellet (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL