The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » "Fat Hat Magic" Buskers and Sideshow Shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi, Folks!

Just to let you know I am in the final stages of launching my shop "Fat Hat Magic". UK based with world wide service. It will be on line very soon.

Fat Hat Magic presents street buskers, performer and sideshow websites showcasing-in-action.

Enjoy finding, reading, and learning about about other acts.

Buskers, street performer’s and sideshow websites will be added, if you want us to host your website then email me ASAP and we will probally host it, as long as it is Child friendly. LOL

I hope this is going to be a fun development.

Officially, will be launching it at the Blackpoll Magic Convention in February but it will be online within days. I have been entered for the Blackpoll Magic Convention UK Close up Comp. This is the biggest Magic Convention in the world, what have I done?

If you have any ideas towards this real humble beginning then please add it to the thread.

Happy New Year,
Mario
PS I am just saving up to buy a Flea Circus.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Dear Mario,

Best of luck in your new venture, we look forward to seeing it as it develops.

Yours,

Paul
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thanks
For sending me links we will host them under shows in next few days.

http://www.fathatmagic.com

Let me know your thoughts.

Mario
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Mario

The site is coming on, looking good!

However, I am a little disappointed to see that you have collapsing swords for sale, I don't think that I am the only sword swallower who is annoyed by those things. Sword swallowing is an old, and very dangerous art. That props cheapens it for everyone, performers and audience. I don't think that any site which respects the history of sideshow, and the performers, both past and present should be selling an item like that.

Sorry to jump straight on this one, its a touchy subject for me that's all! I am still liking the site otherwise Smile

By the way Mario, I am pretty sure we met at Covent garden a few years ago. You were doing the cup's & balls, with the melon as a final load. You asked me if you had the melon loading covered when we got chatting afterwards.
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thanks David
I will asume you don't want to buy one. LOL

The truth, Dave, is I use this in my Comedy show and I think a gaff pales into insignificance when it is compaired to the real thing.

To say it cheapens ones act, I think plays in your own head fueled by your passion.

I to am sorry but I think this is a fantastic prop. If we are going to mention history, well, they have been around for decades and have been worked in sideshow and circus acts with success. I have got a lot of millage out of it, I do work it as comedian.

In the same breath when you say my act cheapens yours I would say you need to have more confidence in your own presentaion, skill and show.

Just like real magicians that have the **** taken out of them by comedy magicians. So shall it be for real sideshow workers. To say this cheapens ones act is a little to arty farty for me. The point is a show is a show. Why don't you buy your self one and you can expose the fake and demo the real onr? I will even send you a free love offering with it.

Your a real worker so work it.

Love,
Mario
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Want one, I already have one, and I expose it any chance I get, and let the audience see the difference between that, and the real thing.

The point is though, you might use it as a comedy prop. But there are people out there taking sword swallowing jobs, then going on stage with one of those, pretending its the real thing. Invariably they just re-enforce the perception that sword swallowing, and other sideshow skills, are fake. This damages the whole proffession, and makes a mockery of the years of work, and real danger a true sword swallower has to endure. The fact that the audience is often not so stupid as to fall for it, or the booker picks the prop up backstage and realises that the 'sword swallower' they have booked is a sham, harms us all even more. It also means that next time, they might not book a sword swallower.

It is ridiculous to suggest that this is not a matter of confidence in my own show. Anyone that uses that prop and pretends it is the real thing, lowers the AUDIENCES confidence in any sword swallower, as well as the bookers confidence in booking a sword swallower. meaning that I, and other sword swallowers, have less chance to show why we have confidence in ourselves.

If an layperson, booker or audience, see's something done with one method, then they assume that's ALWAYS how it is done. People like me are risking life and limb, if just one person thinks that I, or any other real sword swallower is cheating with something like that, then what we all do is damaged.

David (not Dave) Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I can see your very good point,

I don't advertise my self as a sword swallower and use this gaff. I don't know any performers that has.

To me that is know worse than a so called close up magicican performing gaffed tricks but many will disagree with me.

If someone phoned me and asked for a sword swaller I whould say cantact you for instance... you. (you may wan to send me a link)

If they do so as a fake I think it will be short lived and may even result of them not getting paid, I would not pay them if they don't deliver. I think it would be more of the case that they wont get booked again.

I am on your side but I do beleave you are reading way to much into it.

The bottom line is this, does this old time gaff have the right to live?
In the tradition of sideshows I say yes.

This is what I will do I will look to reword this for you. Which will include in braccets all words to that effect.
(Fat Hat Magic strongly disicoureges you advertising your self as a sword swaller if this is the prop you intend to use)

How does that sound?

I will still state that this is a sidehow gaff weather we like it all not, sorry.
The first time I sore this it was performed by a mine artist in "No Fit State Circus" it was great and very funny. I don't beleave any one would leave bealeving that it is all fake and so on. I have seen the gaff performed on the same night as the real deal in my mind it made the real deal look that much more better.
This was the Brithish Juggerling Convention 2005, the Renagade stage (One of Britians toughest open mike nights).

We may have to agree to dis-agree on this one but I will do my best to help you David.

Mario
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Mario

I will come back to this properly later. For now I will say that there are performers claiming to be sword swallowers and using this gaff. I won't name names here, but I know of a couple, there are surely a lot more!

My Website
Add me on facebook
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
In that case can I suggest you start your own thread on this, I have heard this thought.
I can not stand polictics.

Let me know if you want that wording thoe.

Mario
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi David
Just to let you know that I have reworded this, I hope this helps in some way.
Mario
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
As promissed Shows are being added in Fat Hat Magic under shows.
Mario
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
To fill this pot a bit more.
It was back in the late 60s that Taurus Supply (D Lever) Put out a gaffed sword (Made from a car aeriel and small headlight case)Tommy Cooper used it as a gag followed of course by many more including myself.
It was some years later before I started to swallow for real and still used the gaff as a come on to the real McCoy, done in this way at that time seemed to biuld as well as lengthen the routine.
To overprove the real swallow I used to drop the sword point first from mouth hieght onto a piece of soft wood which seemed to work as a natural applause cue.

Later I made the mistake of giulding the lilly far too much by switching the gaff with an identical model which did not fold in, this I also swallowed then handed out,,,,,, this was an anti climax and immediately ditched.

I have had many versions of the gaffed sword but all including the very expensive Italian model under little inspection look nothing like any of the real swords I have used. So I don`t think that there is any problem useing them and having them mistaken for a real one.

Also to advertise as a swallower and not be able to deliver the goods is a very stupid thing to do,,,,,ask any working girl!!!!

Ken (Who since B Walls death has never swallowed a sword).
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Just a quick question.

Does the feeling regarding fake swords used in sword swallowing acts extent to balloons also?

I've seen many people perform a swallowing routine using a modelling balloon. Ok, this too is mainly done as a comedy bit. But I just wondered.

Cheers,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Trinket
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
40 Posts

Profile of Trinket
I do the balloon swallow bit but if there is a sword swallower working in the house, I ask permission first. If they feel uncomfortable, I ditch it out of respect to their craft. It's supposed to be a comedy bit, but usually just turns into a lot of marriage proposals. . .
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
That's very nice of you Trinket and your a fine model to follow.
Mario
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Personally I’ve never been bothered by the balloon swallow bit. Actually I’ve always found it to be rather amusing Smile (But I love performing my magic just as much as I do sword swallowing… perhaps some purists may not feel so likeminded).

Bye-the-by, thanks for adding me to your new site Mario.

Cheers,
-Matt (TK)
whoton
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of whoton
Surely it is the EFFECT and not the METHOD that is important. Does this mean that because the human pin-cushion is performed for real, that nobody is allowed to do the gimmicked Needle thru Arm?
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I knosw that what I say won't mean much here,But the real VS fake sword is no contest.Some of you know that I can no longer swallow swords, but a fake worker demeans everyone who does the real thing...Pride and money are factors.
Fakes and gimmicks are ok for magic, but not for sideshows.
Slim Price

See Slim's Red Head Torches
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
If it can be done for real, then keep it real!

I don't do either sword swallowing or human pin cushion, but they should be done for real.

Fakes just makes those that do it for real look like fakes.

Although I have no problem with mixing magic and real sideshow together to blur the lines a little. In fact, I love doing this. Keeps the audience guessing.

Just use effects that can't be done for real.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » "Fat Hat Magic" Buskers and Sideshow Shop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL