The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Helping hands » » Is being an assistant a good way to learn? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I was thinking of a bit of an apprentice role under the guidance of an experienced magician.

Thoughts?
Jim
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jim,

Being an insider is an excellent way to learn and observe. Even the masters make some jobs harder than they should be. There are also wheels that don't have to be reinvented.

Most of all, the motivation for doing something is often only available to be known if you ask the people doing it.

I think you have a worth while project ahead of you. Enjoy it!

The things I have observed and learned from more experienced magicians and other entertainers have been priceless. I consider it time very well spent. There are so many of them I would love to see one more time.

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
joegow
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of joegow
I think being a magician's assistant is a great learning tool. I have had two that are now magicians doing their own show.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
In the old days many professionals got their training as apprentices. This included lawyers, doctors, and others who needed to hone their skills and their judgment in a supportive learning environment. In the magic world today its easy to get DVDs and Videos and sit alone in a room and practice by ourselves. Sure we can "learn" from the pros on a DVD but there really is no feedback and no constructive criticism. A magician's assistant role can be a useful tool in preparing for the solo career, or in finding that your real asset is helping others in some way. And there really is nothing wrong with that. Also, a paid assistant may not have to do all of the marketing that many entertainers struggle with.
:magicrabbit:
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Today good medical schools teach by having the student "see one, do one and teach one" for medical procedures.

It is a time-honored tradition because it works!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
justmatt
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of justmatt
I think being a magician's assistant is a great way to watch, participate and learn! Just get in there and soak it all up ! Experience is great knowledge and will only make you a stronger magician!

Good luck!
matt
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
I started this very way 45 years ago.
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
DVDs are nice but having someone there to help might be even nicer.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Yes, I would say that assisting is a fine way to learn. One of Hans Klok's former assistents went solo and has quite a career around these parts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Helping hands » » Is being an assistant a good way to learn? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL