The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » PC Software (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
einhorn
View Profile
Regular user
London
183 Posts

Profile of einhorn
Does anyone know of any software packages that can consolidate all client information and allow mail merges, contract and invoicing etc at the touch of a button and possibly accounts as well? I have seen Magic Base which I don't like the look of and have heard of ACT but looking at their website there are lots of versions so not sure which would be suitable.
It may be that I can tie it all together in MS word/excel etc but if anyone has any advice I would love to hear from you! I currently use basic features of MS Word.
Thanks
Nicholas
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
If you own a Mac, Ralph the Great ( Ralph@RalphtheGreat.com ) has an incredible client & marketing management program that absolutely ROCKS! He's working on a PC version of program but, at last mention, still did not have it on the market. This program is so good that I've put a MacBook Pro into this year's budget so that I can start using this package.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Hi Nicholas,

I assume you're using Windows (and for that I'm sorry, I sure wish I could use a Mac *lol*, I'm an old Mac coder from years ago, forced to change for business)...

As far as keeping contact information, I use Outlook (NOT EXPRESS) for all of my contact information. I've used ACT, Goldmine, Sidekick, along with a few others I don't remember and Outlook does everything I need. It's main problem is that it's not really easy for non-programmers to customize.

Dave
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I'm on a budget myself. OpenOffice, from http://www.openoffice.org is free. Compatible with the various MS products as well (office, etc).
Wayne M
View Profile
New user
Bucks
24 Posts

Profile of Wayne M
Hi Nic

Congrats on the newborn!! I am currently using Goldmine but I don't know if this is just my PC but it seems to have a lot of trouble working with Microsoft Word and there are a few other weird goings on with it to. I lterally just receieved yesterday a brochure for a new comp system I am looking into but can not for the life of me remenmber it or find it. I am also looking at a Mac as they are meant to be good for what we need them for.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I guess I should have mentioned the PC options. I currently use Quickbooks Pro and Quickbooks Customer Management as my client system. It integrates very well with all of Microsoft office and is reasonably customizable.

While I love the software I absolutely ABHOR Intuit's (Intuit owns Quickbooks) bottom-of-the-barrel level of customer no-service. Houdini forbid that you should ever have a problem that requires Intuit customer support. Fortunately, I'm fairly computer savvy and can figure my way through most difficulties...but the two times I have had a problem that required assistance or guidance convinced me to never again buy another Intuit product.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Well I use ACT. Is has some good and some bad things. The best part is when I input a cleint it prints everything at one time. The Invoice, Reminder letter, Poster, Thank you and the envelope. Then all I have to do is send it out.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Openoffice is a good alternative to the MS Suite. I’ve never used it, but I’ve heard great things about it. The only complaint I ever here is the power of the database included. It’s not really friendly.

Dave
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Wayne,

I use Goldmine and love it. I might be able to help you with your Goldmine issues. PM me if you like.

Best,
James
einhorn
View Profile
Regular user
London
183 Posts

Profile of einhorn
Thanks for your excellent advice guys. I think I will play around with Outlook (seeing as I have it already) and see how I get on.
Regards
Nick
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Hello nicklause I personally use MS word for all my operations wityh this regard.

criss
ziggy
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I also use ACT and have for the past several years now. I just like the power of being able to easily customize and create my own fields. This allows me to be able to create a database that works best for my own magic business. ACT makes this very easy to do.

It also allows for mail merging and works well with a lot of other programs that can connect to it. I love the ability to run reports and have every single bit of client information right at my fingertips. I have ACT 2000 and it has worked great for me for all my needs to date.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
pezmagic
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
21 Posts

Profile of pezmagic
Hello,
I just wanted to know if ACT does the acounting part of the business, or just the contacts. We are starting this year as an actual business and plan to go full time. I have been told that quickbooks is good for small businesses, but will it print invoices and keep track of the kind of customer information that ACT says it does? Can anyone help me figure out what software to buy without wasting money? Thanks for the help.
--Not so technologically savvy,
Tricia
Do you know what the difference between genuis and stupidity is? Genius has limits.
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Tricia,
I haven't used it, but I know that Quicken has a separate customer management software you can purchase (I think the price is under $100). It is supposed to integrate with Quick books. This might be worth checking out.

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Quote:
On 2006-01-11 13:18, flourish dude wrote:
Well I use ACT. Is has some good and some bad things. The best part is when I input a cleint it prints everything at one time. The Invoice, Reminder letter, Poster, Thank you and the envelope. Then all I have to do is send it out.

What are the bad things? I'm looking at getting something like this and Act was at the top of my list right now.

Thanks,
Richard
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Richard,

I use ACT all the time and I really have nothing bad to say about it from my angle. As long as you spend the time to really construct your perfect template and the feilds you want to use, it will work wonders for you.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Richard,

I've used ACT for several years now. However I only use it as a contact program eventhough an ad on program allows for billing from within ACT as well. The contact and reminder features of ACT are amazing. You can't go wrong for the price. The program is very powerful and does consolidate client and billing information.

Here's a cut and pasted portion of an e-mail I received regarding our copies of ACT software and available installs.

For 2006 SAGE has announced some 40 Add-On Partner Solutions including:

*single-click data entry that automatically extracts contact details from Web sites, emails and documents and enters them into ACT!; also schedules calls, meetings and to-do's for incoming leads.

*Runs credit card charge approvals from within ACT! (for up to three ACT! users).
*activities with due dates and billable/non-billable hours.
*captures lists of contacts from Web sites and documents and transfers them into ACT!.

*Pinpoint Marketing Tool by pinpointtools -- creates marketing plans consisting of letters, emails, calls, meetings, and to-dos, in any combination, for specified delivery.

*ReportAbility by CompanionLink Software, Inc. -- creates reports for any table or field in ACT!; supplies alias and notes/history tables for easier report writing.

ACT! helps individuals, small business and corporate workgroups improve bottom-line results by automating and customizing key aspects of the sales cycle to provide better forecasting and opportunity tracking. For more information call 888-ACT-2006 or visit http://www.act.com.
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I also use ACT and have mostly good things to say about it.

www.anthonysisti.com
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
I use ACT although I haven't figured out much more than using it as an address book and log.
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Tom,
Stop by your local book store and you should find books on ACT in the computer section. It is a great tool that helps with marketing, mailings, etc. I know I'm not using 1/2 its capabilities and my business has become much more productive with it.

Tony

www.anthonysisti.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » PC Software (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL