The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Top ten tricks you want to throw out of the window » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..17~18~19 [Next]
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Silent treatment...what a bore. Dynamite book test...what a bomb.
Brian H
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Brian H
Dots & Dashes...The coins are badly machined and the routine is pretty dull.
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
I usually go into my local magic shop and ask them to demonstrate any tricks. And upon seeing them performed, I get a feel of how well I could do with that trick. So far I have not bought anything that was worthy of throwing out the window.

Sure there are tricks that once bought and you know the method, it is so easy you wonder why you never saw that coming... but the effect the performance has on the mind.. well, you really can't go wrong if you stick to performing it as written.

So I am happy to say, I have not bought anything that is worthy to put into this post. Maybe someone here that got burned in the past should do the same in the future and watch the effect live before commiting any money to it. For a video could play so many tricks on your mind. The mood music, the edits etc.. all play to pray on the unsuspecting purchaser.

I am surprised that so many post are complaining about Icarus. For that amount of money... wow, you would think that it would deserve a better rating. But then again, perhaps it was the cost that really bothered everyone.

If anyone cares to explain, I too would like to know why the PSI Sharpie is a flop. It does look good.

Oh, I could add that I own the Spider Pen. Although it was an amazing piece of equipment and concept, I found it to be made from weak plastic that tends to break easily around where the pen screws in to the tip. For the money it should have been made out of steel. Here in Canada it sold for $70. Replacing it is not an option anymore... for that kind of money.. there are better ITR's out there to buy.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
The absoulute worst top 3 tricks I ever purchased was,
1 - Killer Red Caps ( totally ridiculous )
2 - Arising Cards - By Ariston ( what hype )
3 - Reality Twister ( big disappointment from Paul Harris)
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Yes, Bracco's Ball and Arising Cards, too.

Although there are some interesting uses for the PSI Sharpie, IMO I think most people felt ripped off because (1) the pen makes noise, and (2) it doesn't really rotate in a circle like the ad suggested.

I kind of like Reality Twister and Straw.

Robert
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
AHHHHHHH a noisy Sharpie... no good at all!

Reality Twister sucks in my opinion but a lot of that has to do with marketing. Has say Tenyo made this and sold it as a novelty trick for $10 it would be OK. But being sold as a legit effect just does not seem right.
multiply
View Profile
Loyal user
England (Olde!)
202 Posts

Profile of multiply
Have read much about Killer Red Caps on the Café over the past year - most of it brutal in it's condemnation.
Well, I decided to look-see what the fuss was about and so went to the H-P website to check out a video demo and/or read the description.
Well, if the effect is as carefully-designed as the wording in the description, I can see what all the venom is about!
Quote:
A practical mental effect that is so deceptive that even the cleverist will be clueless as to how it is done. The perform hands out five red household caps...such as come off some sprays.
Gary B
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
I always get great reactions with reality twister, suppose were all different.

The worst tricks I bought last year:

#1 - Pyro maniac, what a load of rubbish, but thankfully got a lot of my money back through ebay.

#2 - Cant remember the name but it came from HP - you had a metal tube, place a silk inside, then the tube turns to a pile of rings, and, you guessed it, the silk has disappeared. There was so much wrong with that.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Read the review on Shockiing, looks like it may be making the worst of 2006 list.
Liquid
View Profile
New user
Home
67 Posts

Profile of Liquid
I'll add Osmosis by Alex Lourido.. it's so *** obvious...
--
Liquid
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Small hands "liquid" ?

this is exactly what I am talking about (my poison your poison n vice versa)! Osmosis works wonders for me! even have several local beers ready for the go!
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-01-11 20:39, Robert M wrote:
Eric James - Ultimate Card Through Window DVD
Peter Eggnick - Strangers Like Me DVD
Tomas Medina - McDonald's Aces DVD
Morgan Strebler - Spun DVD
Mark Elsdon - Bring Me the Head of a Packet Trick DVD
Masuda's Item - Ambelitious Card

Plus a couple of the other tricks named already.

Robert

Robert I liked Spun. What didn't you like about it?

For me? Let's see. Does Expert Magic ( they did Ultimate Card Through Window DVD )
have 10 items out? That would be miy ten.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
450 Posts

Profile of johnra
Sorry I'm not the best in the english department.
John
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
....sometimes the trick, sometimes the performer. In the old days, you purchased based on demos in your local brick and mortar magic shop....disapointment usually came from catalog purchases sight unseen. Creators and dealers write copy to sell, shame on us, if we purchase anything "unseen" with all the video demos available. Thankfully, this board exists with a variety of opinons on just about anything!
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I must have made good purchases, becauase I don't have any of those effects. Although I almost fell for killer red caps once. Wow am I glad I didn't make that purchase. Well I have spun and that was mentioned. That was not the worst I have seen. The trick that I think looks like a pile of junk is Jay Sankeys Mercuring (thats the ring thing right). I don't own it but just looking at it upsets me.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hm. Did I overlook "Penomenom" on the list somewhere? Or its accessory for those who had trouble getting the as-sold prop to work properly, the Penomenom "Generator?"
$25 for a 39-cent office product certain to misfire under performing conditions -- I almost felt sorry for the friend who bought this over-rated piece of junk Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2006-01-12 05:59, John Bowlin wrote:
Silent treatment...what a bore.

Agree. Never used it. Sold it.

John
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I'd like to add POP SECRET to the list.

Tony
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2006-01-12 05:59, John Bowlin wrote:
Silent treatment...what a bore.

Hmmm. I'm not disagreeing with you, but considering there was a demo of this effect online, why would you buy it if it was so boring?
Liquid
View Profile
New user
Home
67 Posts

Profile of Liquid
I agree with TonyEye, I've bought Pop secret DVD, and honestly since I'm in magic ( 15 years now ) I've never seen something SO BAD! Ok, goodbye vanish is the winner, it makes me sick.
--
Liquid
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Top ten tricks you want to throw out of the window » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..17~18~19 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL