The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I actually 'performed' a couple of tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I had a class of 20 adults start on Monday and as an ice breaker I did a couple of tricks.

Just a simple silk production and a quadraflex (I think I got the name right) mis-made dollar.

Decent reactions, and a bit of a confidence boost. Once I get back to work (tomorrow, I hope) I'll try an invisible deck or a brainwave effect.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
And there you go. Say good bye to life as you knew it!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
242 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
Way to go, Jim!
stormchaser
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, AB
200 Posts

Profile of stormchaser
Awesome. Today I performed White Bikes for my piano teacher, and by the time I was done she had practically fainted. I love performing. Smile
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician.

Don't run when no-one's chasing you.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Keep performing for people you are nevous to perform for and you will get confidence up. I know it sounds wierd to say perform for people you are nervous to perform for. But it will get you tougher and soon, you wont be nervous at all! Keep up the good work!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Great job! Keep it simple. Remember how cool the first tricks you learned were when you first saw them. The successes add up, and the failures really aren't that bad.

Use that momentum!
-Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Kudos to you Jim, keep 'em coming and keep 'em simple. You said you had a class of 20 adults...are you a teacher? Just curious.
:bikes: Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I am an Intelligence Consultant and Project Manager for one of the courses my company runs. I do a lot of instructing. Someday, I want to work magic into a specific portion of the class that talks about principles applied to certain tasks. Two of them are Logic and Flow. Without going into boring details, I think some magic effects could illustrate this very well.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Well, a motivation trainer that I met in London told me that he uses magic effects to enhence his speeches....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
Very well Jim, magic is the best way as a ice breaker...

Have fun!

Paolo Venturini
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
I'd urge you to keep the I.D. in your pocket in the event of an emergency. It's a great "reserve-chute" to pull in the event that a force goes bad, a break gets lost, etc. My I.D. is an indispensable safety net.

Regards,

-jjg
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Good idea.
Tks
Jim
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Jim, I think you have the right idea by wanting to create meaning with your magic. I think that's really important. It's not just about the tricks, it's about what the tricks can represent.

Anabelle
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Jgravelle, great idea about the I.D. I'll keep it in my pocket and take some more risks with my cards.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Just keep performing them even if they are infront of total starngers and the after you will be able to perform it so naturally it will look like you have performed it for years
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I actually 'performed' a couple of tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL