The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favorite Annemann Effect (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
Interesting point Bob. I know that there are other errors and mistakes in Abrams's book but I wasn't aware of this one.
The jinx is a goldmine of miracles, mentalists should simply read it very carefully.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
295 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
One of my favorites of Annemann is the Original Effect is the Thought Foretold section. Never read of this mentioned much on here.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
I have used, and frequently modified virtually every billet based routine devised by Annemann. I still firmly believe that billet work, done properly, is the most valuable technical skill a mentalist can possess.

Who am I to argue? I've been performing The Telephone Drama and Living and Dead test for many years. I use my own modernized presentation and it never fails to get hugh reactions from the audience. Although Annemann developed the basic effect the inspiration and many of the details came from Bob Cassidy. In fact, I believe Bob secretly communicates with Annemann.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Tervil is my favorite Annemann published effect.
I shall see you on the other side.
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
But it is Orvile Meyer's.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2015, Seethings wrote:
But it is Orvile Meyer's.

You beat me to it. It seems that many of the great names in mentalism will eventually be forgotten if everything they contributed to the Jinx is attributed to Annemann.
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2015, E.E. wrote:

He mentioned that he published the effect, not that he invented it.
-

Prometheus
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
So, I would love to know what actual new principles have been 'invented' since the Anneman/corinda era.

Very few I imagine. There are phases of popularity (DR springs to mind), but unless anyone tells me otherwise, very little original. Advances of technology help, but I have yet to see any technology that actually improves an effect, or can be recreated though other means.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2015, sjdavison wrote:
So, I would love to know what actual new principles have been 'invented' since the Anneman/corinda era.

Very few I imagine. There are phases of popularity (DR springs to mind), but unless anyone tells me otherwise, very little original. Advances of technology help, but I have yet to see any technology that actually improves an effect, or can be recreated though other means.

Simon

Simon, I think that would make a great new thread. I'd also love to know which actual new principles were invented *during* the Annemann/Corinda era. My impression is that most principles were borrowed from mediums, spiritualists, and magicians even before their time.
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
There are a lot of new principles published, and also new applications for old principles.
I'm sure that if Annemann and Corinda would still be with us today, they would be fooled by a lot of new performers those days.
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2015, Seethings wrote:
There are a lot of new principles published...

Specifically, can you name a few of them? How many are "a lot?"

Quote:
I'm sure that if Annemann and Corinda would still be with us today, they would be fooled by a lot of new performers those days.

I'm not so sure. You've probably seen the show where magicians try to fool Penn and Teller. I saw another one in Hebrew where the objective was to fool Max Maven. The same effect can frequently be accomplished by a variety of methods. Even in the cases where Penn and Teller are fooled sometimes, I don't think it's because the contestant magician utilized a method unknown to them. More likely, it was a creative and skillful use of a known method in an unexpected way. If that's what you mean by fooling Annemann and Corinda, then even people of their own generations likely fooled them plenty of times. But were they fooled by methods that they didn't know about? I suspect not.
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Tervil & 4TD. For me anyway!
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2015, Prometheus wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2015, E.E. wrote:

He mentioned that he published the effect, not that he invented it.

Yep.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Regardless, I think you'll agree that Orville Meyer, as the creator of the effect, deserves to be mentioned, for it is one of the best billet tests out there.
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Fifty Shades of Annemann (The Jinx, Issue 21):

"Harry Dreilinger's idea of new twists on old tricks is shown in his version of the well known vest turning trick with the hands tied. Harry turns his trousers inside out with his ankles tied! However, many a magician's wife has done the same trick during the darkened hours."
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Regardless, I think you'll agree that Orville Meyer, as the creator of the effect, deserves to be mentioned, for it is one of the best billet tests out there.

You're right, Bob.
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2011, Rebecca_Harris wrote:
Not so much the effect but I love his map pin force. I've adapted it and use it in a number of my routines

You know...whenever I do this, the audience goes nuts. Well...my version of it which is better. But still, it amazes me how something so basic can kill the way this does. Definitely in my top 5 list!
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1873 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
For a very long time, most mentalists appear to have passed over Annemann's "Extra-Sensory Perception" because of the challenge of making the prescribed gaffed slate. All of that may have changed in the last year or so with Richard Osterlind's "Extra-Sensory Perception Expanded" prop and routine. The slate is ingenious and the added third phase of the effect is just what it needed.

George
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favorite Annemann Effect (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL