The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » General posting attitudes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
I spend way too much time reading posts on this board, but have learnt so much from so many. One thing I have started to notice more is how rude some people have become in their posts to each other of even a new poster asking what may be a very simple question. Have others noticed that?
. I always try to be very polite in anything I write, but the internet seems to give people a green night to behave in a manner that would never normally see the light of day.
I see people asked genuine question and another poster go off on them for no reason other than they said something that wasn't quite right.
Now I will say the vast majority on this board are always polite and very helpful, just I am noticing more and more new member how seem to t treat people on this board with very little respect.

A sad sign of our times? We are all aiming toward a similar goal, to better ourselves, why some feel the need to think manners are not required is beyond me?

Kind regards

Steve
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
I totally hear what you are saying.
My biggest thing...."Why don't you do a search" ....That drives me nuts. Ok a lot of things get talked about on hers, I do not have time to read them all, espically if the were posted a long time ago. I would rather hear what people have to say now.
Ryan Parsons
[email]ryanparsons@comcast.net[/email]
http://www.magicformiracles.com
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I agree, some people do get rude on here. I am sure I have been known to do it. Especially when you have one person that starts 50 posts the same day all titled "what is the best". That gets extremely annoying, and most times it is people that just want to get into secret sessions. Ryan, I answer people to do a search, But in the same post I will also answer their question. There are so many topics on this forum that it is nearly impossible to do a search and find exactly what you are looking for. Granted the new search tool that they put in last year is better than the one here when I first started, But It still turns up a lot of crap..

Corey
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
This has always been an issue with forums and message boards. I, personally, believe that the ability to post anonymously and remain hidden behind a meaningless and supposedly clever faux name has a lot to do with it. I also believe it is a measure of the individual who feels superior and has to flaunt this self-assumed importance.

You'll note that most of the true talents and masters on this forum post using their real names and go out of their way to be helpful. It also helps that Steve and his crew take very real pains to keep the forum on a high and professional level. But, even this excellent staff can't catch everything.

My advice...ignore the anonymous, self-important blow hards who find their pleasure in belittling the serious posters and their legitimate questions and advice. Once they realize that they've lost their audience...they'll find more fruitful and less professional fields to trash.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
This topic has been discussed before. Why not do a "Search"?

(I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself!)

Cheers! Smile Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2006-01-12 14:53, Stanyon wrote:
This topic has been discussed before. Why not do a "Search"?

(I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself!)

Cheers! Smile Smile




Ignore him...he's from that "other" Car'lina.

Skip :o)
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2006-01-12 13:19, Skip Way wrote:
I, personally, believe that the ability to post anonymously and remain hidden behind a meaningless and supposedly clever faux name has a lot to do with it.

I’m sorry you feel this way Skip and I disagree with you entirely and completely. I have addressed this issue NUMEROUS times here on the café and will continue do so time and again.

Let me start by saying that on my side of the keyboard that I would like to post my “real name” and with any luck I will be posting a picture of myself (and hopefully not crack anybody’s monitor in the process) someday soon.

However, with the way the internet is and all the problems that can arise when someone uses their “real name” I decided not to. To be honest I like the fact I know your name, I compare posting with a “username” with that of a car alarm, if somebody is bent on getting your car they will succeed, posting under a “username” is nothing more than a deterrent in my mind.
Quote:
I also believe it is a measure of the individual who feels superior and has to flaunt this self-assumed importance.

I am important. Just because I choose a username doesn’t make me any less so.
Quote:
You'll note that most of the true talents and masters on this forum post using their real names

An assumption.
Quote:
and go out of their way to be helpful.

As do people such as myself and others that prefer to use a username.
Quote:
My advice...ignore the anonymous, self-important blow hards who find their pleasure in belittling the serious posters and their legitimate questions and advice.

I’m glad I didn’t take your advise.

As I have written in this here forum before, I frequent other forums besides the Café, one of which is a forum for vintage Ford Mustangs, I, like the vast majority here, post under a “username” there as well.

And it is because of these fine, fine people, not in spite of them, that I have been able to save time, money, energy and bloody knuckles (ouch, looks like I won’t be doing coin rolls this week.) on my project, the same holds true here at the Café, minus (with any luck) the bloody knuckles.

It also amazes me just how belittling your post is to the majority of people (username’s) who post here on the café, may I also suggest that you look at the topic for this thread “general posting attitudes”. Does anybody else find Skip’s post ironic?
Quote:
Once they realize that they've lost their audience...they'll find more fruitful and less professional fields to trash.

Take a look around, the MAJORITY of folks that post on this here forum, and are still here go by a username.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Quote:
However, with the way the internet is and all the problems that can arise when someone uses their “real name” I decided not to. To be honest I like the fact I know your name, I compare posting with a “username” with that of a car alarm, if somebody is bent on getting your car they will succeed, posting under a “username” is nothing more than a deterrent in my mind.


Yes, but think of it this way. With phone books, you can find thousands of people's names and phone numbers, and use that to get their address. You can find anyone on or offline. The real question is, what do you plan on doing that would make someone WANT to track you down?

Shane Wiker
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Report inappropriate posts to the forum managers. They control the product.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Kihei, you're entitled to your opinion and your annonimity. I am likewise entitled to my opinion and I stand by every comment I made. Feel free to disagree and continue your attack.

My opinion,
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Shane, I agree with that statement. Also remember. If someone wants your info bad enough on the internet all they have to do is track you down. It really isn't that hard. You just have to know what you are doing. If I wanted to, I could find out anything about any one on this forum, Using their real name or not. I chose not to. Because I don't do that.....anymore. haha. I had a message on my board on my wrestling site posted as being criss angel. I tracked it down. I know exactly who did it, And I also tracked them down to this very board. In the long run it helped me to take every percaution of blocking them from posting on my board.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Anonimity is just one of the many problems, not the only one. There are people who choose to hide their identities and are still helpful people adding costructively to the community. Others are hiding and using that anonimity to feed a weird little power to themselves.

The other problem is, some people are just mouth-breathing chowder-heads. The world is full of them, so it stands to reason that some will manage to knuckle their neanderthalic selves onto our lovely forum. Don't sweat these chumps. I've had a few of these cheese-brains hassle me lately, and yes, they make me quite sick of the whole thing, but the truth is that come the morning, they still have to wake up and look into the face of a bitter, spiteful little troll while they look in the bathroom mirror and you are free to spend the rest of the day thanking the gods that, if for nothing else, you are not them.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
You know, Kihei, I was going to let your post just float on by...you are, after all, entitled to your opinions. But, as I read over it again, I realized that you took my post completely out of context and turned my words into a personal attack against anonymous posters in general. Oddly, the post you attacked was in response to an anonymous poster and I don't believe any of my words attacked him or his legitimate and worthwhile observation. I can't allow your mistranslation of my statements to stand uncontested.

For example:
Quote:
Skip wrote:
I, personally, believe that the ability to post anonymously and remain hidden behind a meaningless and supposedly clever faux name has a lot to do with it. I also believe it is a measure of the individual who feels superior and has to flaunt this self-assumed importance.

Kihei wrote:
I am important. Just because I choose a username doesn’t make me any less so.


I neither stated nor implied that anyone who posts using a false username is either unimportant or assumes a sense of self-importance. I did not state that one uses a false name due to a self-assumed sense of importance. In context, I stated that those who respond to legitimate requests with rudeness and insults do so through an assumed sense of self-importance.

In context, it is my opinion that an individual...not every individual...who hides behind a faux name is more likely to respond to a legitimate request for assistance with a smart-*ss remark or insult. My opinion. You're entitled to yours.

In context, it is my opinion that the individual who responds in a rude and callous manner does so as an expression of his or her self-assumed importance...anonymous or named. If one chooses to perceive this as a personal attack against oneself...the perception is theirs...not mine.

Quote:
Skip wrote:
You'll note that most of the true talents and masters on this forum post using their real names...and go out of their way to be helpful.

Kihei wrote:
An assumption...As do people such as myself and others that prefer to use a username.


Again, you overlook the fact that I qualified my statement with "most"...and I stand by that opinion. I did not say, as you have transposed, that those who use false usernames provide no service or viable posts. Quite the opposite. I have seen some very wise and professional remarks from many with usernames...certainly worthy of learning from. I also note, and this is again my opinion, that the overwhelming majority of rude, crude and insulting remarks come from those who hide behind the false names. Once again, note that I said "majority"...not all.

Quote:
Skip wrote:
My advice...ignore the anonymous, self-important blow hards who find their pleasure in belittling the serious posters and their legitimate questions and advice.

Kihei wrote:
I’m glad I didn’t take your advise. As I have written in this here forum before, I, like the vast majority here, post under a “username” there as well. And it is because of these fine, fine people, not in spite of them, that I have been able to save time, money, energy and bloody knuckles. It also amazes me just how belittling your post is to the majority of people (username’s) who post here on the café, may I also suggest that you look at the topic for this thread “general posting attitudes”. Does anybody else find Skip’s post ironic?


I have never suggested that my advice is for every one. Quite the opposite. I offer what I know and encourage every reader to choose their own path based on their own beliefs and goals. You prefer to be anonymous for security reasons. I accept that. I prefer to face my critics and peers face on. We're merely viewing the same coin from opposite sides.

Nor did I at any time state that anonymous posters in general belittle others. The full context was "anonymous, self-important blow hards." If one is not an "anonymous, self-important blow hard" I fail to see where one might take offense at this statement. Had I stated something as ridiculous as "anyone who hides behind a false name is a blow hard" then perhaps you'd have an argument there. As I wrote it, only those who see themselves as "anonymous, self-important blow hards" should be offended...and I stand by that sentiment wholeheartedly.

I can't help the fact that you find my post insulting. It is my experience that one may read personal insult and injury into the most harmless of statements if one tries hard enough or refuses to look at a statement with a mind open to diverging thoughts. I don't see your remarks as insulting...merely as defensive statements against a perceived slight because you chose to read my post as a personal attack. Once again...this is your right. But, I will thank you not to put words into my mouth or to redirect my intent.

Quote:
Skip wrote:
Once they realize that they've lost their audience...they'll find more fruitful and less professional fields to trash.

Kihei wrote:
Take a look around, the MAJORITY of folks that post on this here forum, and are still here go by a username.


How does one read into my statement, "Once they [the anonymous posters in general] realize..."? The pronoun "They" directly and clearly refers to the "anonymous, self-important blow hards" mentioned in the previous statement.

Once again...you are entitled to your opinions and I respect that. If you view my post as a personal attack towards all anonymous posters...so be it. I stand by my comments and my opinions as I wrote them...not as one may misread them. The value of a forum such as this is diversity of thought and divergence of opinions for the sake of growth.

The primary point of my post remains that the "blow hard" insults and rudeness levied towards posters who are asking for help or against those who may post an opinion that differs from their own should not be tolerated...with or without a face.

My opinion,
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
Ahh crap I didn't mean to start anything here!..lol I use a 'username' no statement offended me. The fact is people do hide behind their 'usernames' and it struck me that it is an excuse to be rude to other poeple. Don't get me wrong, I have seen posters who use their real names behaving justr as rude. I think it is more to do with the protection of their own little world, I find poeple who are rude within posts general are lacking something in their lives. You see this time and time again on the board, well respected names in the business who if anyone has the right to say " don't ask stupid question" they do, yet treat everyone with respect, I am all to aware that the poster that seems to think rudess is a way to conduct yourself, lack value in their life.
A was told once many years ago, be nice to poeple on your way up , cause you have to pass them on your way down. A very true statement.

Regards

steve
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-01-12 14:53, Stanyon wrote:
This topic has been discussed before. Why not do a "Search"?
(I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself!)


Ah you beat me to the punch Stanyon. That was funny.

I actually do like the search feature here. When I want to know what others thought or currently think of something magic related, the first thing I do is a search. Posting a new topic is not enough for me as I want to know what everyone had to say about the topic or product in the past - everything possible.

I may then revive an old topic if I have a comment or want more information.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2006-01-12 17:44, Skip Way wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-01-12 14:53, Stanyon wrote:
This topic has been discussed before. Why not do a "Search"?

(I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself!)

Cheers! Smile Smile




Ignore him...he's from that "other" Car'lina.

Skip :o)


Now Skip, y'all 'aint gonna' start with that North vs. South thang are 'ya? After all I am a victim of the "YRP"...Yankee Relocation Program. In fact I am a "D*** Yankee"...a Yankee is a Northerner that goes down to the South...a D*** Yankee is a Northerner that goes down to the South and never leaves!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Stanyon, naw...ain't no need t' go there...One Car'lina's as good as th' next! :o) Boys from both our states held their own at Shiloh and Gettysburg, after all! On the other hand, being an Ohio State grad I do hold some animosity towards Clemson. Imagine getting a man like Woody Hayes fired over such a minor thing as tapping some poor Clemson player. Tsk tsk tsk! Now there's cause fer a grudge!

But we digress from the thread...once again!

You didn't start anything, Steve. Some people just have a thin skin and look for any excuse to spout their defensive rhetoric. Your points are completely valid.

:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
I have been a victim here with people bashing my opinion. And in this great world we live in there are many opinions. When it gets out of hand I have been told the best way to handle it is to report it. It is not helpful to keep arguing and thus getting off topic of the real question.

I think it's OK to have many posts asking the same question for it is a real pain trying to read thru a zillion pages on one question most of them arguing about someones opinion. Thus creating alternative post on the same topic, sometimes the question gets answered a lot quicker.

Most people that do use their name on this board are actually using it as advertisement. It is the norm to use a handle when posting on the interent so that two things happen.. first it give a non bias opinion to the answer given so that no one actually is left with the impression that so and so said it so it must be true or not... and second it allows the person to be free from freaks that might try and hunt you down for your opinion.

Most people do not have the time or the know-how to track people online with a handle... why make it easier for them using your real name? Sure you could go out of your way to track someone down but you are also leaving a trace of that search and therefore could be used in a court of law should things get out of hand.

I find that there is the old school of though and the new school of thought. All opinions are valid and whatever your situation it might apply this way or that. Let's keep the peace on this board and not try and be arrogent and let's stop some of the snide remarks that some of you - even on this topic - are prone to do.

Is that a tennis match I see going on above me? It's if your word is the final word... we really don't care who said what in the end... it's the magic that counts and if we learn something new today, it will make us better magicians. Oh, ya, are we not here to exchange ideas and learn? It seems that this board is full of people preventing others from learning or getting into magic. It's a shame what has been happening lately.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » General posting attitudes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL