We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Promotional clip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Please review this for me.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=......=goog-sl

thanks,
Dani
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7454 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Dani -

It's very, very good. Lots of audience shots, of people enjoying the show. This will be GREAT for promotional use. (I am assuming you've handled the video "release" correctly, and have appropriate permissions).

It's also the perfect length for a promo video online! Great for short, online attention spans. I'm really impressed.

Lots of balance between audience shots and shots of you performing. Too many performers want their video to be all about them. You've discovered and demonstrated a key truth that customers are interested in -- that it is about how you impact the audience / event, too, as well as showing that you offer a quality show.

One thing that could be improved, was that I saw no smiles or laughter, until about 20-25 seconds into the video. Then there were tons of great shots of laughter and smiles.

Before then, it was just blank expressions of people watching something, or raising their hands to be picked, interspersed with shots of you performing (and you weren't necessarily smiling either at that point). I guess what I am saying, is that it came off as too serious at first.

So, the video could be re-mixed to show more laughter and smiles balanced throughout it.

One other thing you could do to improve it, is at the end of the video, put your name and contact information (such as telephone number or website), with a call to action, instead of "The End". Something like, "To make YOUR next event more fun, call Dani at ..."

Just food for thought.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Yes I like the clip BUT found it a bit of a rollercoaster ride.
besides that my compliments, great job.
Magic of Dan
View Profile
Regular user
St Charles, MO
115 Posts

Profile of Magic of Dan
Looks great to me!
Dan
The Magic of Dan
Magic of Dan
View Profile
Regular user
St Charles, MO
115 Posts

Profile of Magic of Dan
Looks great to me!
Dan
The Magic of Dan
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Very nice! I especially like the clips you chose, the audience reaction shots and the music. Excellent job! The clip would certainly encourage me to hire you ahead of your competition! (Just stay out of North Carolina! Grumble! Grump!) :o)

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Hey Dani, FIRST CLASS. Well done, I love it. Very professional looking, love the music, very active too. I agree with Donald regards adding your name/contact details to it, and also on Google's page next to the clip.

Best wishes,

Billy.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
First off I thank you Billy for assisting me get this up on google. You wouldn't believe how many times my photographer burned me that clip in different formats until he got the right one.

I also would like to thank you all for your kind and honest reviews and remarks and also your tips for possibly making it better.

thanks,
Dani
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2006-01-12 14:31, danryb wrote:
First off I thank you Billy for assisting me get this up on google.
Dani

Your welcome Dani.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
I wish more guys on here would put up their clips for all to see. After seeing Dani's clip, I now have the upmost respect in what he's saying (not that I didn't before).

Billy
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I know how you feel Billy, that's how it wasis for me too. I remember when you gave us your link to your clip. It realy does make a difference and helps us get to know and respect each other more.
I only wish I could get over abroad to the UK (I was born in London and lived there till I was 11 - I got all my first tricks, starting the age of 5, from Martin at International magic) or to the U.S to all the magicians conferences etc. That way I could meet some of you personaly.
I did tell you all to come to Eilat in september when we had our first "magic at the red sea" - it was great and you all missed out.
If any of you want a great vacation - then come to Eilat and let me know your coming.

Dani
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Yes, a bit too much like a roller-coaster. Fast transitions and too many perhaps. But other then that, very very good. Class act.

-Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Show the kids having more fun, and actually show some magic happening. In Billy's he had a segment where there was no music, just Billy, this may help yours to.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Agree with the above, great video
Dennis Michael
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Dany,

Nice upbeat and fun video clip. The audience reaction shots and the energy and fun shows through in the video. Nicely done.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Dani,

First of all, congrats on your video! Just getting it done and online is the first step to great promotion. Now all you need to do is tweak, and that's the easy part.

Typically, when I review a video, I watch it once and don't write anything down. I want to experience it like a potential client would. Then I make notes, then go back a second time and really disect it.

First run through, I liked. Like Donald and Kyle said, you've got the most important video shots: your audience having fun. Thank you for including so many of those shots. The music was upbeat, making the length of the video seem to fly by. That's good, you'll leave them wanting more.

There were only two shots I felt that didn't add to your dynamic energy. The one shot (about a minute into the video) of a dad (?) with his hand against his cheek, like he was bored. (second watch edit: I saw that he did have a smile, but the first time I watched it, I just saw him leaning against his arm). The other shot was of you at the very end. I felt like the video had all this energy, then just fizzled. As it fades to black, you were turning off your mic and losing energy.

If you have a dynamic shot of your face, I'd use it at this point, freezing at the most dynamic moment. This is the shot they'll remember as it's the last thing they'll see.

However, like I said at the beginning, you've got the hard part done! Awesome job and big kudos for placing your hard work at editing out on the table to be critiqued by your peers. Too many people don't like hearing critique. You're on your way to being very successful!

Warm regards,
Scott
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
While I hate to be critical, because I thought it was a great video, I too noticed the man whose body language might be conveyed as being "bored." He's slouching in his chair and is resting his head on his hand. Since two of us saw this as a potentially bored viewer, you might consider editing him out. I also noticed a shot with a little girl in a jackt that looked like she was walking out during the show. That one was far less noticable than the "bored man," but might warrant a mention.

I think the above comment about the ending is valid. The ending shot could very well be the most memorable, and you might want to have something more "upbeat."

Admittedly, these are "nitpicks." Overall, I think it's a nice-looking video.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Well, thank you all again. My goal here was to put out the best promotional clip I could get and that was the reason I did this show. As some of you might remember I sold tickets to this show and then donated all the profit. It was a highly praised and well advertised promotion for my new show. Having set up in a large local theater, I took the oppertunity to have 2 cameras set up to film from all angles.
I got some realy good footage as you have seen, and as some of you have said, I shall knock the guy with the beard "out" of the picture - (he's gone - as far as I'm concirned). I will also try to change the ending. I don't think I'm going to slow the pace down though - I think the music and fast pace is what leaves them wanting more.

Thanks for all your reviews and support,
Dani
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7454 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2006-01-14 17:14, danryb wrote:
I got some realy good footage as you have seen, and as some of you have said, I shall knock the guy with the beard "out" of the picture - (he's gone - as far as I'm concirned). I will also try to change the ending.

Sounds like a wise decision, Dani.

I also caught the "thinking man" who could be perceived as bored, on my first watch, but didn't comment. I think that's because I went back and freeze-framed that section to double-check what I thought I saw (if that makes any sense). I'm sure a regular customer might not do that.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Grasshop34
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincinnati, OH
308 Posts

Profile of Grasshop34
Awesome video! What did you use to edit it? My favorite part was when the seal looked at you. It was timed with the music nicely.

Jason
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Promotional clip (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL