The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Good Response To: Can You Make Me A.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Marc Levine
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
125 Posts

Profile of Marc Levine
Does anyone have a cute or clever response for a person who asks you to make something you don't know how to make? The best I came up with is giving a comical confused expression and saying "How bout a puppy" with a tonge-in-cheek tone (as everyone knows that puppies are cliche). It gets a chuckle, but I'm looking for a response that comedically tells them I cant make the balloon they asked for but incourages them to choose another. Thanks.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
My favorite response is to make a big deal out of making exactly what they asked for...as you make a basic balloon dog. "TA DA!!! What? Kid! It's a balloon! Ya gotta use yer imagination!!" I follow up with the old classic, "Look, kid, (Said in a friendly W.C. Fields tone) I make over 250 balloon sculptures...is it my fault that they ALL happen to look like dogs." The adults LOVE this bit...right up to the point where the kid kicks you in the shins.

Wear shin guards!
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3733 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Tell 'em that "HEY...this isn't Burger King ya know!...HERE, you don't get it your way...this is Pizza Hut (or wherever) and HERE...ya get it MY way!" Then I make 'em what they asked for!

Steve
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
Skip, I like that. I didn't know that was W.C. Fields. I begin by saying that people are going to ask me what can you make with a balloon. I then pause until they catch on and ask, "What can you make with a balloon?" I then thank them for asking and say that "I can make anything with a balloon...they just look like poodles or swords." This gets a laugh but it is amazing that, later, in line a child will ask me for something and I will say that I cannot make it. He/she will say, "Yes you can it will just look like a poodle or a sword."
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
If they happen to ask for an animal I don't know how to make, or it will take too long to make in the alotted time I have, I say...

"Well you take a daddy ________ and a mommy __________ and when the love each other sooooooooooooo much you get a baby _____________. That is how you make a __________."

Often, though, after I say that, I take the challenge and try to make it anyway. Experimentation is cool. And people like to watch you try something new. Make it a big deal and you will gather a crowd.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I give the kids a "Menu" and they still ask for something that I don't do.
I just repeat the choices. And repeat the choices.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Marc:

As I read your post, I was thinking of the same line that Skip already gave you. The line about making 250 different animals, and they all look like dogs. I read that line somewhere, and never thought too much of it at all. Then, one day at a show, I used it and got a lot of laughs.

I use it every show now - I've never used it as a response to certain requested balloons, but think I will give it a try.

Ron
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Make a magical gesture and say poof your a.... what ever they have just asked you to make them.
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Nucindu .... I do the exact thing you do
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
When I start making balloons I tell the kids there are three rules.
Rule #1 Don't put the balloons in your mouth.
Rule #2 If your balloon pops, you have to throw the peices in the trash.
and Rule #3 You can name any kind of friendly animal you want, and I'll make a doggy.

I reality I can make 50 or so different animals, so if I can't make what they ask for I just suggest something equally cool.
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
How about just plain honesty. "I don't make that... how about a__________"
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Skip said he said the line in a W.C.Fields tone not that the line was written by the man himself. I actually think Mack Painter made that line up, he comes up with quite a few good ones, I'm sure he'll be chuffed to know that one has gone mainstream.

I sometimes say "No, but I can make a Maddaboobou"

George
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
(click your fingers)"and sleep........."
dillingerd
View Profile
New user
Newcastle England
1 Post

Profile of dillingerd
This Works For Me I Say There Are Hundreds & Thousands Of Different Animals In The World Name Any Animal What Ever They Name IE Duck-Billed Platter-puss I Then Say Without Missing A Beat That Looks Like A Poodle & In This Case It's exactly What They Get A Poodle Of Course If They Ask For An Animal You Can Make It's happy Days
pdmedic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of pdmedic
I normaly just give them another choice and try to guide them to something I can make.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
My response is always "Sure! You just have to have a veeeery good imagination".
Steve V
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
I just say "I'm all out of __________ balloons right now... how about a doggie?"
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
Yeah, I do kind of the same as you do Cholly, look through all of the ballonns, or just look inside my suitcase and say "ahh, left the ____ at home today. Too bad! But I see a_____"

If they are trying me (sometimes kids (and parents!) have much fun in trying to name one they think I can't make) I sometimes answer:"No, but can you??" if they say no, I say "too bad, otherwise you could have teached me!"
Or I try to make whatever they ask for and like mrbilldentertainer make a big deal out of "never tried taht one before". or with small children just believe in it yourself thast it is what you (they) want it to be (and if not at least that it is a very extremly special one)and they get along with it.
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
I've not done balloons in years, but I generally used Jewls suggestion, "POOF! You're a _____!"

My favorite was when asked to make a gun. "Sure I could, but there's a five-day waiting period."

Another alternate was to have a memorized (now long forgotten) list of critters I could create. I'd practiced to the point where I could rattle them off REALLY fast. Pausing for breath I'd ask, "Got any ideas?" More often than not, they'd ask for something they'd already seen someone walking around with...and I'm off the hook.
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
michaelwriting
View Profile
New user
Kenosha, WI
55 Posts

Profile of michaelwriting
It's an interesting challenge making new stuff. Sometimes I end up with some nice creations that I wouldn't have otherwise tried. It does get terribly time-consuming though. I had a party where I created pretty good renditions of Tweety, Pluto, and a ninja turtle (and I never made any of them before). The downside is that it took a LONG TIME for each one. Sorry to say that I don't have any brilliant comments for you...Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Good Response To: Can You Make Me A.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL