The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I have a show and I want to TOUR the US how to? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2800 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Doing your homework and the proper lead work can reduce costs, but still, yes, to hit the road does require money. When you're away from home, everything costs, even a drink of water.

To walk into town and say, “I have a magic show, ya’ll come,” will never work, or at least not enough times to keep you moving. Maybe if your name is Copperfield, but for the other 99.5 percent of us, it takes a lot more. Even with him, most don’t go to see the magic, they go to see the name.

To have any kind of success in working the smaller towns, the fund-raising approach would be your best bet. Local folks support each other. You find a good sponsor, do a great job with them, and then try finding a like group in the next town.

Regardless of how good the show is, it all comes down to proper planning, good advance work,and a sack of expense money.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Now this is going to sound horrible and I don't mean it to BUT if you have to ask what "Capital" is, then you will need to do a LOT more research before you even consider starting to do this.

Yes, it is money.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Danny,

THANKS for you willingness to say what needs to be said.

YES, we want to see people to succeed phenomenally, and part of the success requires for each of us to pay a price for our success prize! I'm guessing Danny, Jim, and all who are enjoying the fruits of their efforts that lead to their success will not only agree, but applaud that truth!

THIS thread is yet another step closer to success… CONGRATULATIONS!

Are we discouraging anyone’s success?

NO WAY!

Quite the contrary, we are encouraging the TRUTH in this day of microwave ovens and the instant internet and so on, we ALL could take a lesson from what Danny has offered up here.

THANKS again Danny!

I am, as always at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dean, thank you for your kind words. Funny thing is most don't appreciate my "saying what needs to be said".

The problem certainly is my lack of tact.

I do offer an honest opinion and feel that trying to encourage those who will lose money doing it is really a disservice. I won't do it. It makes me a lot of enemies, but in the long run it is better for them I believe. If I didn't really care I would let it go. Since I do care, I can't!

You're so right, I mean to be encouraging, although it seems the opposite some times. This thread, taken right, is a fantastic step toward the success you speak of and I hope it helps.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
Danny That was a joke.. I know what capital is....... lol no harm...

I do appreciate your input Danny. I appreciate everyone's input up to this point. Like I stated previously, I want to SUCCEED and if it requires you to tell me the harsh realitites then GREAT. I want to know not only the good but also the bad.
Dreams are a matter of choice, not chance. Live your Dreams. -DC
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2800 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
It really is best to look in all directions before leaping, but don’t get discouraged and don’t give up, because if this is what you really want to do, you can. The know-how will always come to the person that wants it, just keep asking until you get the right answers.

My top ten suggestions are:

1. Learn as much as you can about the business side of the business.

2. Make sure you have a great show.

3. Don’t quit your regular job until the time is right.

4. Start close by home and work your way out.

5. Set aside enough money from each show to help finance the next.

6. Work as many small shows in between big ones as you can. (Schools, parties, etc.) Not only is this extra money, it helps promote your bigger show.

7. Don’t get discouraged when times are bad.

8. Believe in what you’re doing.

9. Make each day count.

10. Count your blessings each day.

Always remember,
The success in magic is not in “knowing,” but in “DOING.”

Good luck with your dream/goal,
Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
If you do everything that Tom has mentioned- you'll be right on track. If you ever want to do outside the United States; that option is open to you too. Even probably more so than the United States.

There are certain groups that cater to touring. ALA USO/AFE/or MWR groups; for whom I tour and work. All you need is an entertainment value worth its weight to tour. Some good shows behind your belt, and be a productive entertainment product. You get those things down pat and you're set.

When you get outside the US- things change. I just left Guam. A tropical paradise beyond words. I couldn't believe my eyes 99.9% of the time. There's only one true magic show here and that's Steve Wheeler's show. Think of the possibilities in just this one island. Then you could go to Japan- there's even more for you there. But on the downside- they're in their winter climate now, unlike Guam.

Asian countries and the Western Hemisphere are ideal places to, 'get your chops.' More so if you perform for the military. Only a suggestion. If you're interested; just let me know. Best regards,

Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Matt, could you give me an idea of to whom I might apply?

As an ex-Army guy this sounds like a good way to pay back "Uncle Sam" for the things I've learned..
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Hey, guys, I just ordered Rick's Publicity Course. It should arrive soon. Thanks again for all the good advice.

Posted: Feb 6, 2006 12:14pm
I ordered his course and it's everything you said it would be. Has TONS of useful information in that binder. I haven't read all the way through it yet but hope to soon. Now I have to get my creative brain going to use the info he provided.

Posted: Feb 19, 2006 11:16am
Anton, have any creative ideas to get sponsors for this type of tour? Like using their coupons in the show, etc.?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You need a good salesman and a prospectus and a good business plan.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

I finally bought John Kaplan's course as well. It's the answer to all my problems. Publicity course from Rick Allen is focused on newspaper publicity, where as Kaplan's course is a whole new approach to selling your show, which I love and I am putting together right now and will do exactly what I wanted. Thanks for all your help.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I am sure that both John's course and Rick's course will be of benefit to you, if you study the material, and act on it. Try new things, think, learn, and adapt to create your own style based on their examples.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I have a show and I want to TOUR the US how to? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL