The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Different Fickle Fire?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Hi all,
My friend told me that there is a Fickle Fire that is smaller and rounder which can be Downs palmed. Does anybody know a source for this???
Thanks
Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
You might ask your friend where he heard of it.

It sounds interesting, and I too would like to know about it. I asked a magic shop owner friend of mine who stays pretty current, and he had not heard of it. (If he had heard, he would have called me...)

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
rossrice
View Profile
New user
Ross Rice
1 Post

Profile of rossrice
Joe:
I have been using Kikuchi Fickle Fires in my act since 1976. I have three sets of them. They are neither small nor round. They are big and boxy and give off one heck of a flame. I'm used to them as I’ve used them in thousands of shows. However, I have seen the ones you speak of years ago. They were the predecessors to the ones I have now which at one time were the de-facto standard of "fire in hand" effects in the world.

The round ones were shaped like pocket watches and were made about 30 years ago, so the only way you would be able to find these little beauties is to keep looking in the magic auctions but stock up on plenty of burn ointment.

Kikuchi dropped the earlier, round design for the newer box design because people were burning themselves on a regular basis. There was very little protection. I love mine because there is an ample hand shield and they’re easier to manipulate than the round ones. Best of luck to you.

As an added note I would like to say that my old friend Dave Powell makes the best fire in hand gimmicks in the world. Dave and I worked for several years together at the New Port Beach Magic Island in the 80’s. I saw a pair of his gimmicks on ebay; they’re made for precision, safety and maximum effect.

Ross
http://www.rossrice.com
Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
The Dave Powell gimmicks are called Omega Fire and I second Ross's comment that they are the best fire in hand gimmicks in the world.

They have enough material in them, that they act as heat sinks and let you hold the flame longer, they have enough weight in the Doors, that it only takes a flip of the wrist to open, or close, and when closed, they seal up and go out immediately. And the striker mechanism works just fine as long as you have fresh fuel.

I haven't seen anything else that comes close in practical use. And I don't think that an electronic ignition would really make much difference since I never had the flint fail.

I like the precision of the hinges and striker, and the weight of the doors, and heat sinking ability to hold a flame.

These are what is shown in my avatar. And we took a lot of shots, so many that I had to reload the fuel twice, and I held flames for much longer than you would in performance.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Different Fickle Fire?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL