The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Phil Kannon The Corporate Connection by Jon Jensen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of T.House
This book was praised by Denny & Lee. Has anyone purchased it? Could someone provide a review?

Thanks,

Bruce
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1091 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I'm wondering the same thing.

Anyone?
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
(Disclaimer - I have mixed feelings about these kinds of books - I have a love hate relationship with them having published my own - that being said...)

Some people are going to LOVE this book, especially if they have little or no knowledge of working corporate events. Phil and Jon did a GREAT job in compiling a book in an easy to understand interview/conversational style that is an easy and informative read.

It covers a lot of ground, too. From defining the corporate market, to tips on working the various different venues, gaining clients, add on's, promo material, etc. there is a lot there.

I think some established corporate workers will find some good tips that may make it worth their while, but a lot of the material may seem kind of elementary or re-hash to them (this is simply my impression). But it's not that expensive so whatever they would gain from it would probably be worth it anyway.

Here comes the love/hate part of this genre of book. Often reading a book like this leaves me with more questions that I started with! I think a lot of people feel this way. The Corporate Connection isn’t too bad in that department. But the seeming lack of specifics in the book like many others in its genre annoys me.

Take for instance “Production Value.” So many books stress production value elements like sound and lighting, yet don't really go into the nitty gritty about it. Well - if it is THAT important (and btw Kannon is 100% CORRECT! IT IS that important!) let's get into detail about it. At the time of writing what actual equipment is being used, etc...? Saying you use four construction flood lights and a portable sound system really doesn’t give the serious student of this market much to go on.

I guess the one thing that I wish was different about the book is that I wish some of the sections went into further detail (maybe less sections and more specifics – I realize if they went into detail on every point made in the book this thing would be a 1000 page monster).

All things considered - is it worth it? Only if you'll actually use it! Yes. I’d say it is.

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have the book. BTW, his name is spelled Kannen, not Kannon. This makes a difference when you are doing a search. Actually, the one I have is called Trade Show Secrets Revealed. This may be a different book.

It has plenty of good information, but it's not a complete course on how to be a trade show magician. There isn't one. There can't be one. Nobody can spoon feed an act to you.

As far as the nitty gritty on sound systems and lights -- that changes from year to year. You need enough light to be seen and enough amplification to be heard, but you can't interfere with booths around you. That's a big no-no.

In some places, you MUST use battery power. Why? Because if you don't, your client will be dinged for an hour's work or fraction thereof by a union electrician who comes over to plug it in. McCormick place is one of those.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Two different things Bill. This one is about 80 pages.
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The one I have is about half that.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Phil Kannon The Corporate Connection by Jon Jensen (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL