The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Organizing Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I wonder if anyone has or had this problem of organizing your silks. Last night I was going through my silks getting ready for a performance today and the problem I noticed last night was finding the right size and type of silk to use. Presently I have all my silks in a metal travel type case. My silks are in zip-lock type bags and are marked according to size, type, etc. The problem is I still have to dig through the case to find what I am looking for and end up having to take and retake things out to find what I am looking for. Is there any better way or am I just a hopeless slob?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi:

Another option is to go to Walmart or Target and get Rubbermaid (or Sterlite) shoe-boxes. They cost about $1.00 a piece and are stackable. You buy a number of them and organize your silks that way. Stack them in your closet and label the boxes so can pull one box out without having to go through everything else.

One more idea - get one of those expandable file cases that are found in the office supply section (Walmart, again). Stick your Ziploc bags in the different slots, and label the tags accordingly. This way, all your silks are in one case, but you can thumb through the sections and get the Ziploc you need without disturbing all the rest.

I just thought of that 2nd idea, and I'm going to do that myself!

Ron
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I do the exact thing Ron suggested. I have Rubbermaid boxes that I store my silks in. I don't even know how many I have. I have one for each size, 9", 12", 18", 24", etc. I also have one for diamond cuts I have one box labeled "Specialty Silks".

Regan
Mister Mystery
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I use an accordian file to hold the zip lock bags as was suggested above. Some of my streamers are rolled around cardboard tubes.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
239 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
I separate the silks I use in my show from the extras. Then I put them in my case(s) that I take to the gig. All the silks that can be pre-set, are pre-set. For me pre-set means: Put in the case in so that I can just take them out and do the trick. The ones that can’t be pre-set (for whatever reason) are in zip lock bags, placed in the case(s) ready to be setup when I get to the show.

I don’t practice with the silks I will use in the show; they just sit in the case. If I intend to practice the trick I have a duplicate of the prop. This cuts way down on the time it takes to prep for a show.

Chris
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is something that has bugged me for years and every system I have ever used is not fool proof.

I do use the Rubbermaid boxes. I use the sweater boxes (16 quart) instead of the shoe boxes. Silks are sorted by shape (squares, diamond cuts, streamers, etc.) and size. Printed silks get a separate box. There is also a box for Bag Tricks (blendos, 20th Century, etc.) Tricks are kept set and together in a Ziploc bag or labeled envelope (the reason for using sweater boxes). Heavy silks for Zombies, off stage covers, etc. are also kept in another box.

This is also the way we do many of our other props and tricks (coins, egg bags, wands, rope, fire, eggs, balls, FISM Flash, Mics, Zombies, Rings, sponge, etc.) Labeled boxes are easy to keep straight.

Don't forget to have a "Parts" and "Fix-it Box". When things do get misfiled, it gives you a place to look.

We even have a "color" order in stacking so that we know that red is on top and light green is on bottom (or in the rear). (It speeds knowing how many of that size, shape and color you have.) Silks that are not in one of the thirteen standard colors are kept in another box called "odd silks". (I don't like to use props or colors in my show that I cannot replace overnight with a phone call home or elsewhere.)

Warning: Do not store silk next to paper for long periods (years) of time. It will yellow light colored silks.

Using the bags will also limit the need for ironing.

With two magicians in the house, labeling and having the "right place" matters.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks for the tips Bob. I 'm with you on the "Parts" and "Fix-it Box". I have one that goes with me to all my shows.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

Thank you. The "Parts" and "Fix-it" boxes have saved me a lot of problems. (And it makes me look like I know what I'm doing!)

Sometimes I need one that says "Oops!"

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Sounds like you and I need the same box.
Mister Mystery
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
I use Pizza Boxes.

KeithP
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I really want to advise against storing good silks in paper. I know that Rice, P&A and my company (DoveLite) all sell silks in paper. That is not a good place for long term storage of silks. Remember we only keep them a few weeks. You keep them for decades. The acid and sulfur in the paper will ultimately stain to yellow light colored silks.
Plastic bags are much better.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I really appreciate all the good tips you guys have provided.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Hmmm, and I hang mine up. Keeps them fresh and and crease free. Plus if I want a particular size I can see where they are from looking at the bottom edges, and just pick the right colour. Thinking about light though, I might move them from my ceiling to my wardrobe... I don't really want them fading.
Paul
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Paul,

Hanging your silks is fine. However, if you use clips or pin to keep them in place, consider using the pinch clips used by photographers to hang film and prints to dry. They have rubber pads that won't snag or stain your silks.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Someone deleted my post, so I will post it again. I really do appreciate all the posts. I am probably going to use the file folder system.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Darkwing,

There is certainly nothing wrong with the file folder system of storing silks unless the silks are next to the paper. The tag board that is used for file folders is a very low grade of paper. It will ultimately stain your silks.

I don't know the cost difference, but plastic file folders may be the better solution. Of course, putting the silks into a ZipLoc bag and then the bag into a paper file folder will work too.

We all know one thing, no matter how many silks you have, you plan to have more! A good storage system is needed. It also helps you know your inventory so that as you add silks to it, they really are better planned purchases.

(I had a "silk ironing" here for silks I had in all the wrong places. I was shocked and embarrassed at how many 24" red silks were in pockets, on dresser tops, in brief cases, on my desk, etc. I keep them in several Ziploc bags of ten to make counting easier. Organization helps!)

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Bob this might be a question for you. Where is a good place to get good quality silks? I do like your ways of storing the silks. It has made me think about the storage of my silks.

Thanks

Steven
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Steven,

Silk storage has a lot to do with the life you will get from them.

I sent you an email. There are several good sources of good silks in the USA.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Good point Bob, I didn't think about the tag staining the silks. Since I keep them in ziplock bags anyway, I think I will go ahead and buy the plastic file folder system.

Thank You,

David
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I'm going to take my Rice silks out of the paper and store them correctly. Thank you for the information!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Organizing Silks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL