The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Favorite Coin Book(s) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
I think it is pretty well established that Bobo's, Roths Expert Coin Magic and Kauffman's Coin Magic are the top three coin books for experienced coin workers. What are some of your other favorite coin books?

Craig
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Dan Watkin's CoinVanish Vol. 1 & 2 have several awesome routines (I got the e-Book versions). Troy Hooser's DesTROYers (although not strictly a coin book) also has some great material. I've heard good things about Karl Fulves "self working" series. Does "Self Working Coin Magic" live up to that reputation?
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
Coins on Edge by Kainoa!! With CoE and the roth and kauffman books you really have all you need for coin work.
Deckless Wonder
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
I heartily endorse Cpontz's recommendation of where to start . We are so lucky, there are lots of excellent choices to follow those with. I probably bought Hugard's "Coin Magic" just because most of my money had gone for Cpontz's 'essential three.' For an older booklet, "Coin Magic" gave me a lot of value: historical perspective and tricks. Brewer's "Unexpected Visitor" is a beautifully laid out book that does a terrific job of explaining neat routines. Bauer's "Gadabout Coins, Revisited" amazed me by showing how easy it is, with a well-structured routine, to perform magic with no gaffs. Thanks to all these and all the still unmentioned wonderful coin gurus and the Café for guiding me to them!
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I've always been a big fan of Introduction to Coin magic by Shigeo Futagawa.

I would also suggest Doug Brewer's The Unexpected Visitor and Joe Cole's Micro Economics. Both books have excellent workable material for the close up performer....
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
How about two, an old one and a new one.

Stars of Magic-great lessons by Vernon, Slydini, Bertam, and Scarne.

21st Century Coin Mechanics- the retention vanish chapters alone were worth the price of the book for me but there was so much more
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Thanks Eric for the kind words.

A few of my Favorites are "Coins on Edge","Cointopia" by Kainoa Harbottle and "Deceptions in Paradise" by Curtis Kam. If not for these two gentalmen, I might not have ever been interested in coin magic. Also I'll second Doug Brewer's "Unexpected Vistor." all are great books, worth your time to check out.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Don't forget "Coining Magic" by Marlo, Farelli's "Convincing Coin Magic", and the Ireland book, "Bull's Eye Coin Tricks". Also, Edward Victor set the stage for some of Vernon's better known coin work, like "Spellbound", and the "Coins to Glass", in his series "Magic of the Hands". And of course, T. Nelson Downs wrote a book. Robert-Houdin begins his ground-breaking work, "Secrets of Conjuring and Magic" with several excellent coin effects, one of which I use all the time. If you read "Magic Without Apparatus" you will find the original version of the "Expansion of Texture" by L'Homme Masque. There are lots of great coin tricks out there, but not all of them are in a compendium of coin magic. You have to search the older books for individual effects. Devant, for example, has a great trick in one of his early books. "Greater Magic" has a coin section, Tarbell has lots of stuff, including a great version of the "Coin in Nest of Boxes". More recently, Gary Kurtz did multiple sets of lecture notes, all on coins. Dave Neighbors has produced a lot of material. Jim Lewis is another fine coinman. There is really a lot of material out there, if you look...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I also loved Larry Jennings on Cards and Coins and Johnny Benzai's book as well.
<BR>
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
548 Posts

Profile of travisb
Downs' book is really good. There's stuff in there you may be really surprised to see, including a fan of several borrowed coins vanishing from one hand and instantly appearing in the other—with the hands palm up the whole time (there's also a version with a single coin visibly disappearing from one palm up hand and appearing in the other). True, it's not the most immediately workable solution but it's there and it'll get you thinking. There's a sort of proto-Fickle Nickel in there as well, and lots more thought provoking material.

And it's super cheap, too.

-Travis
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I'll just make it short and easy, "Bobo's."
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5474 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Aside from the three standards you mention in your original post (Bobo's remains my all-time favorite) I would have to agree with Paul regarding Marlo's Coining Magic. I also find quite a bit of workable material in Steve Dusheck's "Coin Magic" volume of his Magic Series (number 2). Other than that I love the material that has appeared throughout the years in the various magazines (especially Apocalypse).
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
I agree with Magiguy - there are a lot of good magazines like Apocalypse that has excellent coin magic. The Apocalypse Books also contain a lot of othre great close up magic.

Lets expand this post and include favorite magazines with coin magic in them.

Thanks

Craig
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
I agree with Godhandz, unexpected visitor by Doug Brewer is a great book and Mike Wild's e-books @Sundragonmagic.com are very good as well
bwalendziak
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
78 Posts

Profile of bwalendziak
Hey guys,

How is the DVD for Unexpected Visitor? Is it all the same routines or is there different things on it. I love that book, just wondering?

Thanks,

Brian
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I own both the DVD and the book and I have got to say that the DVD is a great teaching aid for those who want to see the timing of some of the moves and routines in action, and even better for those who have never been exposed to Doug Brewers brand of magic. I think you'll be suprised how much doable, entertaining magic you'll squeeze out of the DVD. I love his Wishing Cards,PayOut, and Hook Revisited routines.

Pick it up as soon as you can at http://jazzmagic.home.att.net/

Ok, doug there you go.....I did it. Make sure you get my check in the mail tomorrow......lol Smile
<BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Favorite Coin Book(s) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL