The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » MLK Jr poll..please read. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Don't take this the wrong way but, is it my fault that people can't find jobs with more sick/personal/vacation days in their job. Come on, teachers have the whole summer off(well most do), bank tellers, postal office has every holiday off and some I never heard of...
My point is , there is no reason for everybody to take off every holiday so that everybody is off on the same day of the year because some hero died years and years ago.
I think we have to many holidays, especially when we don't contribute to what that person did. The only holiday I can probably say is legit is Xmas.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2006-01-19 15:23, inidyls wrote:
I think we have too many holidays, especially when we don't contribute to what that person did. The only holiday I can probably say is legit is Xmas.

That's rich! If I had to explain why I think that statement is funny to someone, it would lose something.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-01-19 15:23, inidyls wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way but, is it my fault that people can't find jobs with more sick/personal/vacation days in their job. Come on, teachers have the whole summer off(well most do), bank tellers, postal office has every holiday off and some I never heard of...

That's why they're called Holidays. You get them off. I worked in retail for the first half of my life and never got any holiday, apart from the big two of Thanksgiving and Xmas off. Now that I have a civil service job I get all the Holiday's off, even those you never heard of. I can tell you life is better on this side of the counter.

Quote:
My point is , there is no reason for everybody to take off every holiday so that everybody is off on the same day of the year because some hero died years and years ago.

Never go to Paris in August then, everyone there takes the month off. A grand idea if you ask me.

Quote:
I think we have to many holidays, especially when we don't contribute to what that person did. The only holiday I can probably say is legit is Xmas.

I think we have too few. We need at least one bank holiday every month so we get 12 three day weekends a year.

The Calender should look like this

January
New Years Day
MLK Day

February
Presidents Day

March
St Patrick's Day

April
All Fools Day

May
Memorial Day

June
Summer Solstice Day

July
Forth of July

August
Bastille Day

September
Labour Day

October
Columbus Day

November
Veterans Day
Thanksgiving
Day after Thanksgiving

December
Xmas
Boxing Day

That would be 16 days off for everyone added to their horribly meager personal, sick and vacation day.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
As a sixty-year-old who was in Montgomery, Alabama before, during and after MLK, my real advice to you is to remember that creating illusions is a piece of cake for those of us in the business. As a published university marketing professor who taught advertising and is a lifetime professional at personality marketing let me remind you that MLK was introduced to you by the same folks who brought you the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and Pecos Bill. The fiction is many times the size of the facts. Some of the people and events are pure fabrications.

That said, the first racial incidence I ever saw was in New York City in the summer of 1964 when a black in the Village got into a white cab. MLK was not there. I do remember blacks in the name of MLK turning over cars and burning them in the streets of Montgomery and their firing deer rifles into white radio stations in downtown Montgomery during that period. It was civil unrest. It was not remotely related to civil rights of any of the races.

No place in the USA today violates the citizens' voter rights and property rights more than the city government of Selma, Alabama. It is advertised as one of the most important places in the voter rights movement. It is essentially an all black welfare city of about 18,500. First you will find that the local citizens had little or nothing to do with it. Secondly, more whites than blacks supported the effort, took part, or were injured in that pursuit. Thirdly, raising money from whites to aid blacks is a business that rarely helps blacks or anyone else.

Go see it for yourself. Fooling yourself is one thing. Letting others do it to you is another. Magicians are not the only ones in the illusion business. Professional marketers are pros at it. (And it pays more than being a magician for a reason.) The news belongs to professional marketers. We create it so you will see our ads and buy our products. We feed your ignorance at a profit. Become a knowledgeable consumer. That means look at the news with the same suspicion that you do our ads. We wrote and approved both!

MLK is neither the problem nor the solution. It is just another brand and logo in the marketing game. It's the people who count. Give up the color discrimination and make some progress. I meet heroes every day. Take part instead of just a position. Identify a real problem and work on it. Contribute to a solution. Your skills and efforts are needed by real living breathing human beings.

Only the productive pay for holidays. The others have no investment.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Well Im kinda getting tired of this thread but I still fail to see any valid points made by inidyls. First, I must say I find it crazy that you say the only holiday you could see as legit is Christmas. Why should everyone get a day off for this day when not everyone is christian? How does that make more sense than everyone getting a day off to honor someone who taught this nation to treat each other equaly? Or how does it make more sense than honoring the great leaders of our country. Im sorry, but I just don't see it. At least these holidays effect a broader range of people. (everyone)

Secondly, believe it or not, but Americans do not get as much time off as much of the world. (And at the same time, many countries have almost none) When I had a french exchange student come over he was amazed by how little Americans get off from work. I think a few select days that are meant to honor certain individuals is a good thing and sure isn't taking too much. And of course, the day off is appreciated.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2006-01-19 12:59, Doug Higley wrote:

Soupy Sales Day would have been a hit with me!

There SHOULD be a Soupy Sales Day! I knew it was MLK Day only because I home school my son, and it was part of the lessons. However, I could not have cared less, and I am over 30.

Is it just me or does MLK sound like some sort of a "title" for a serial killer? Smile
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Dpe666,

Its a sad day when the contributions to society of a great man place second to a performance of an entertainer. Soupy was funny and talented but he did it for the fun, bucks and fame. Nobody ever took a shot a Soupy Sales. MLK did his job for mankind. MLK wasn't about Black rights.....he was about Human rights and we ALL owe him.

My original point of this thread was to point out the fact that such great efforts are soon forgotten. Although I never got to run that poll your post made my point perfectly for me.

Best,

Tim
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
King's ideas on demonstrating for civil rights were through peaceful means.
During that time there were also the revolutionaries who believed that solutions would be through violent means.
I'm not saying violent methods are right but both groups made the public aware of their dispair.

I have a great deal respect for King's work and feel he deserves to be remembered.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-01-20 10:01, Jaz wrote:
King's ideas on demonstrating for civil rights were through peaceful means.
During that time there were also the revolutionaries who believed that solutions would be through violent means.
I'm not saying violent methods are right but both groups made the public aware of their dispair.

I have a great deal respect for King's work and feel he deserves to be remembered.

Jaz,

For the most part I have no trouble with what you have to say. However, I was there. Peaceful means is a media term coined by those who were not there. It was hardly peaceful. That part is a myth. Otherwise, perhaps some good came from it.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » MLK Jr poll..please read. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL