The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Self promotion, how far do you go??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
I have recently designed a little advert for myself, the text goes like this......

"Magic Kev
Shropshire's NO 1 Children's Entertainer and Magician,

Fun, games, prizes,
Guaranteed fun for all the family. Member of Shropshire Magical Society.
Performed at Glastonbury Festival & South Bank Centre London for the BBC and local radio.
CRB Checked."

Now my point is this, I have performed at all the above, which are very well known and famous venues here in the UK, but as a musician, which is a form of entertainment of course. Also I really have no way of knowing if I am Shropshire's No 1 Children's entertainer.

Now am I being in any way wrong to do this, I want to become a succesfull magician, I want work....

(By the way, CRB checked means that I have a certificate from the crimminal records bureue(spelling??) Stating that I have no crimminal record, this comes from my other job working with kids and vunerable adults, all care workers undergo these checks for child protection reasons in the UK)

Thanks for your thoughts.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
This is a good question. I know of many people, not just magicians, who bill themselves as "premiere", "#1" and so on.

My opinion is to only make honest statements. Use other descriptive words like

unique, superb, astounding...

I verbally bill my company as the only entertainment company, because in regards to advertised (paper, phonebook), my company is the only that exists. But in print, I would not put it, just because that could change in an instant, and cause someone else to realize they could be doing the same thing and I would have competition. Also, I don't want to be "called on" something that was in print. If you can't back it up, you may loose respect of other people.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I would only use a description that, if a person checked on it, could be verified. In this case, it seems somewhat inaccurate to use those descriptions, especially since the implication is that you performed at those venues as a children's entertainer/magician.

I know that some entertainers regularly "stretch" the truth when it comes to promoting themselves but I prefer to be as accurate as possible.

Michael
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Generally speaking there are no systems set up to say this magician is better than the next

but many entertainers bill themselves as the best or whatever

so when you say it- your not really standing out and marketing is about standing out

so remember who you are selling to in your advertisment and make a statement about your benefits - Have a look at other entertainers and see what they are doing

many arounfd here say number one, great sleight of hand magic--- who really cares

reduced cost, After Xmas special price--- this is what grabs attention ( I'm just generalising here)
you may not even lower your price - Just advertise it--- because you want them to call you.

That is your reason for the advertising- to get them to call or look at your web site so include something in your sales that screams CALL ME NOW or rather take action now- you'll have to figure out eaxctly what you offer

You could event have a headline---"MUMS & DADS The Pefect Birthday Present here"
because this is what parents think and worry about- you are offering a solution that we all have.

just my thoughts

cheers

oh and iff possible include a great picture of you entertaining your kids
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Oops, I noticed a typo in my post. My company is the only one that exists in my city.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I live in Cincinnati OH with a population of around 3 million people, however I say that we are the ONLY FULL TIME children's entertainers in the area. There have been a couple of housewives that have told me they were full time clowns, but when I asked how many parties they do a month, the answer was 2. I then asked them how they survived on an income of $200 a month and they replied "my husband works."

So as far as I am concerned we are the only full time entertainers in the area. I am saying this because I believe we are the only ones, I also believe (and have been told so many times) that we are THE BEST in the area.

I see nothing wrong with telling the truth as you see it.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

BUT..........

you gotta get inside your customers heads.

being a full time entertainer doesn't mean anything if they skim over your advertisment because your headline didn't yell---LOOK AT ME.

whether your full time, the best in your area doesn't yel LOOK AT ME as a headline
understand why your customers buy and use this info

when you speak on the phone and they book you---do you hear the sigh of relief as they go

phew I have found a solution to my kids party-- This is what they are thinking about.

Your customers are not only people actively looking for a magician but people looking for a solution to their problem- they may not have thought about you and saying your a full timer at the top isn't going to stop them in their tracks

strangely enough- your name isn't all that important in your headline--- an answer to their problem is or ask a question that they may be asking
Are you looking for the perfect kids present? or whatever.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Yes, I think that by putting the comment about being #1 children's entertainer and magician, and also having worked those events (when you haven't actually performed there in that capacity) is being deceptive.

(This next part is more about the comment of being the # 1 entertainer.)

This is called making advertising CLAIMS (some call this "false claims"), and when potential customers see this in print, they see the exaggeration or "claim" and think, "Oh yeah, prove it!" This puts an emotional wall up between you and your customer, before you even try to do business with them.

If they do hire you, they are also much more likely to be cynical about the quality of your services, and more likely to challenge your money-back guarantee, as well.

If you were quoting a customer or a newspaper story which said you were the "#1 entertainer", that would be a different matter. You would have some sort of provable evidence to back up your point of view.

Further, consider this. By putting the claim about being the # 1 children's entertainer and magician, you are likely to alienate yourself from your fellow magicians (from your own club), too, and lose some chances for show referrals.

(This next part is about the claim of working an event as a magician and children's entertainer, but you actually worked it as a musician.)

If a potential customer found out the truth about this, or someone on those event committees found out the truth about this, your reputation as a trustworthy person would be harmed. You may not get hired again for those events, in any capacity. Food for thought.

IMPORTANT -- I also noted that your ad has a few features, but almost nothing in the way of customer benefits.

I think with trying to offer evidence that you have worked certain events, and have a criminal record check, you are putting the cart before the horse.

First, get them interested in your show, get them to call you for further information, then offer testimonials and client lists, show experience, info about criminal record checks, etc., as proof of the quality of shows you deliver.

It is also very unlikely that potential customer want to know about your magic club affiliations. Have you ever had a customer genuinely ask you that, as proof that you will do a good show for them? More likely they want to know what you do, how you involve and entertain the audience, about your experience, and proof that you will deliver what you promise in your advertising (verbal, print, etc.)

Remember the old saying, ALWAYS underpromise and overdeliver!

- Donald

P.S. By the way, I noticed that you used the phrase "guaranteed fun for the family". Do you actually guarantee your show (money back guarantee), or is that that a potential misunderstanding waiting to happen?
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Didn't I say something similar?
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Everyone feels like they are "the best" or "number one." This in and of itself is not a bad thing. However, when selling to a client, you need to take an opposite position of your competition in order to be unique. Otherwise potential clients have nothing to go on other than price. And this is a bad thing, because every market has the guy willing to do $50 birthday parties...or less.

Dunphy is right...hit more on the benefits of your show...what are you doing or not doing that your competitors are or are not, and how is that helping (benefiting) your clients.
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Thanks Guys, Definitely food for thought. mmmmmmmmmm although I was hoping some of the more aggressive advertisers would say,"great, do it" but alas.

Thanks again guys for your comments....
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2006-01-18 07:40, icentertainment wrote:
Didn't I say something similar?

Just in a slightly different way. Sometimes it takes hearing a similar viewpoint, stated in a different way, to get it.

BTW, David, I don't agree with you about using the offer of a discount as a call to action hook. That's not always the best hook, and can sometimes draw the wrong type of prospect / customer to you. It's also poor positioning (see also what Jeff said).

But that's my personal opinion on the topic. Smile

Kev, something that David said off-hand made me think about this. Consider making your ad more focused. Instead of about all shows, just about one type of show. Birthday party shows, for example.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
I would stay away from saying you are #1. If I were the customer that form of advertising would make me ask these questions before hiring you. If you are the #1 entertainer, why don't you have a website. What contest did you win to become #1. Are you the most successful entertainer, how many shows do you do on average.
Being from the states I haven't heard of the town you are from, is it a big place or are you the only entertainer living there?
If instead of saying that you performed at all these places implying that you were doing magic there, you could say truthfully that you have been performing professionally for whatever number of years doing magic, music and whatever else you do. Then if you want to mention some of the events you have performed at you are telling the truth. It also doesn't raise the question, How did you perform magic on the radio?
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
How about saying "one of the best chidrens entertainers in Shropshire"

MrMystic. Shropshire is a conty in England and not a town, I suppose a bit like one of your states.

Rick
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Your right magiker, but its a lot smaller......
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Donald did I see you mention "features and benifits"? LOL sorry callback from another thread!

BUT if you have to exaggerate claims and almost falsify information just to get jobs there is an inherant problem with this system.

First of all if someone DOES check your really in trouble. Not only do you lose them as a potential client, but everyone they know. (rule of 20?) Second of all if you do show up and don't fit the claims, then again you have lost far more than you have gained.

Getting the first job is easy, keeping the client is the tough part and false claims, or exaggerated claims or having to qualify the claim with "well I was the guitar player" really hurt your case.

I knew a guy a thousand years ago in Chicago who claimed he was "appearing nightly on ABC". that was the claim.

How disappointed do you think the people were when he had to explain that he was part of the local news intro for their 5pm broadcast during the theme show and voice over. He was on for 3 seconds max.

Do you think this helped him find jobs or hurt?

Keep in mind also the grander the claim the more likely someone will call you on it. Even if out of simple curiosity or interest/.

PLUS you must consider do you think people want to know why your price is not a lot higher if the claims you make are true? Shouldn't someone appearing nightly on ABC cost more? this is another thing to consider!

Build your resume and let it stand for itself.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Great questions and comments guys!

=> Quick Question:

"Who Cares" if you are the "BEST" or not?

Really, think about it; SURE, it may be NICE to be the best at anything, but as far as others can tell, it's difficult to quantify that claim, and honestly, the BEST "according to who?" (Which was also brought up.)

In my experience, the VERY BEST WAY to serve our community and markets with our promotional outreach is to “find out what our buyers WANT” and deliver THAT (If you can, in fact deliver what they want with integrity!)

This is NOT a marketing lesson, but it IS an important success point to UNDERSTAND now:

=> Our buyers don't as much care that we are ‘the best’ or not (for all the reasons stated and believed anyway...) what they CARE About is stuff like:

Are we professional and will;
- Show Up On Time! (Or early!)
- Be appropriately and professionally attired and with our props and show!
- NOT embarrass them in any manor! (Language, quality of presentation... etc)
- Make Them LOOK GREAT along with whom-ever is important to them!
- ...etc (On and On…)
And most importantly solve and/or support THEIR most pressing considerations, wants needs, desires and success outcomes! - That's IT really… no big secret.

THAT is what our buyers need to see in our marketing and promotions!
- Exactly, how is it that WEW are going to assist them in getting what THEY want, need and/or desire... dig?

This is known as “The Solutions Provider Paradigm”, and is the single most important consideration in all of our “effective” marketing, promotions and outreach if we ever hope to enjoy any lasting success at its peak!

Q: Should we promote our unique solutions and buying advantages??

I say absolutely!

Is the fact that we are "The BEST" (or not) either believable or of interest to our buyers?

Maybe, but certainly NOT as important as "quantifiable proof" that we can deliver on THEIR most pressing outcomes based on what THEY want, need and/or desire!

Others have said it here as well... if you can PROVE “it” (what-ever “IT” happens to be…) and “it is important to them”, then you have influence, BUT if you can’t, and/or it NOT even important to your buyer (Like being the believable BEST) over and above THEIR OWN REASONS for hiring someone of our ilk, then we have completely and utterly wasted our Time, Talent and Treasure with our marketing! – Pointless!

I don't know about you guys, but I “HAVE-TO-HAVE a Quantifiable Return On My Investment” with my marketing outreach! It simply “HAS-TO-BE the most effective it can be for the investments” I make! – That should be true for all of us here as well!

No one “effective” is interested in wasting any of our precious Time, Talent and Treasure on something that is NOT as effective as it possibly can be for all parties involved, right?

So, if our marketing, promotions, outreach and solutions doesn’t capture the interest and imagination (Wants Needs Desires) of our buyers; either by making claims or offers we can't prove, OR doesn’t provide and "wanton" solutions that they “must” have, then we have missed the mark and so has anyone who attempts to promote in anything less than the “Who Cares” (Solutions Provider) type of marketing success.

So the question in all of our marketing and promotions should at-least encompass, ‘the "Who Cares" question’ and the appropriate answer for our market share.

Good discussion gang!

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Again Dean makes a fantastic point.

"BEST" is a meaningless title. who cares. Can you find their need and fill their need simple sales 101.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I will ad on subtle distinction to that old sales adage, "Find a NEED and Fill It".

The honest to goodness fact of the matter is that sales 101 is a bit outdated and even misleading.

I am NOT the first to say it (Like 25 plus years ago...) and won't be the last... Sales and influence decisions are made based on our "WANTS" and are ONLY then "justified" as a need, so the REAL fact of the success sales situation is:

"Find The WANT And Then Serve It." is more appropriately the truth.

I could go into detail and explain the psychological hinge pins of the situation, but I doubt that that would be necessary here, would it?

I think we "Get-It", right?

I know it's possibly semantics, but it is a VERY important distinction we must be aware of if we truly hope to succeed.

THANKS Danny... You da' man!

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dean if you quote Maslow's higherarchy of "needs you are my hero!!!!!!

yoru right about the semantics, they are important
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Self promotion, how far do you go??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL