The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Keeping Doves Outdoors? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
Hi everyone. I have a question about keeping birds outside. What should you normally construct the cages out of? And, what about in the winter time? Even though I live in Alabama, it still gets cold (I'm sure some of you who live in below zero temperatures laugh at that remark.) But, if you can leave the birds out for the winter, is insulation or heaters required? Thanks in advance.

-Taylor
Beyond Impossible: www.freewebs.com/illoosionzmagic

"I close my eyes in order to see"
~Paul Gauguin
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
I have a dove "coop" built onto my garage. It looks like a little tool shed. It is probably around 3ft x 7 ft. It has nesting boxes in the top, two round windows on the front doors and square windows on the sides. This allows for a nice breeze in the spring and summer to keep the birds cool. In the winter, I cover these windows with plexiglass. You will need to keep your birds out of drafts! Dove can do fine in the cold, but dampness and drafts will kill them. The coop also has a wooden floor. You might want to check your city's health codes. My city requires a wooden or concrete floor if you keep birds within city limits and prohibits the keeping of poultry (although the health department said nothing about my duck when inspecting my dove coop.) You probably shouldn't need to insulate the coop, but make sure it is shingled on the roof to prevent leaks. In the winter you might also need to put a light over their water to keep it from freezing.

Cris
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Cris,

The inspector would have been on shaky ground. By definition, poultry consists of birds kept for eggs or meat.

You have proof of a different purpose.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Taylor, there is a conversation going on this issue under the lung cancer thread. Indoors/ outdoors cold climates, etc.
Good luck.
Oh yeah, my city lets me have my six chickens they just aren't allowed to roam in the front yard. Wouldn't even mention it to the city.
Cris, sounds like a nice little coop.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
MAGICofSeth
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of MAGICofSeth
I keep my doves outside my garage, under the awning so they don't get wet. They are fine during most of the months but if it gets too cold I bring them in. I think they are happier out there and for sure they stay cleaner.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Where do you live Seth?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
Our city has been somewhat strict with their animal policies. They've confiscated miniature pot-belly pigs because of an ordinance against keeping swine within city limits. They've closed down carnival games at the state fair and Catholic Church carnivals that give away goldfish as prizes. We have an ordinance against elephant rides (any type of paid rides on animals where the rider is not the owner... with an exemption for pony rides). The Shriner's tried to get that ordinance rescinded because they make money on elephant rides when their circus is in town. We also had an ordinance go to vote on banning pit bulls and rottweilers. However, that's been changed to mandate that owners carry at least $100,000.00 liability insurance on the dogs, keep the dogs secured if left in a fenced yard, and to include a warning sign on their house that they are in possession of a dangerous breeds.

At six doves, two canaries, and a duck, I am actually over my bird limit. I'm also over my limit of domestic animals I'm allowed to own (I also have two cats, a dog, and a rabbit.)

Ssssssshhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Cris
MAGICofSeth
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of MAGICofSeth
Portland, Oregon
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I agree with Seth. Doves outdoors stay cleaner. Sun light may be important!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Hi everyone,

I have been keeping doves outside for several years. We live near Dayton, Ohio and it can get very cold.

The aviary is 20 feet by 15 feet by 9 feet high. The frame was built with 4x4 with 1/4 inch chicken wire on three sides, top and bottom. We put it on the bottom to help keep out mice and snakes. One side is wood, facing the north to keep out the strong winds. It is under a large tree for some shade in summer.

About 1/3 of the aviary has a roof so the birds and rabbits can get out of the weather if they want.

There are a lot of branches hanging to perch. (Inside the enclosed part and outside.)

When it is below freezing, we have to go out twice a day to change the water, but that is it. The doves seem fine in the cold. On really, really cold days we used to hang a small heater in the enclosed part facing the perches. But we haven't done that for a couple of years and they seem fine. We do hang a heavy tarp to act as a barrier against strong winds. The doves are not the sharpest tools in the shed, so on really, really cold and windy nights, we go out and put each on inside the enclosed part and close the tarp. It actually is a little warmer in that part. We also put in a lot of straw on the floor of the enclose part in the winter and then clean it out in spring. This gives them something a little warmer to sit on.

I don't think we have ever lost a dove because of the cold. If we have any babies, we will take them in for the winter. We did lose one baby once.

The doves love the rain and sun. They will sit in the grass and raise one wing to bathe and sun themselves. I love watching them.

You can see a picture of it here if you want:

http://www.dakotarosemagic.com/favorite.html

Dakota Rose
Dream things that never were and say, "Why not."

Junior Editor Linking Ring - Youth Forum

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hi Dakota.

You have been most helpful to me with that information. Thanks for the photo of the aviary too. I already have a very similar place built, I just need to add some more wire. Mine is half covered with tin and the north side is attached to a building. In fact your photo looks very similar to what I have.

Do you not have a small cage area for them? I was thinking about adding a small (like 2' x 4') caged area against the wall of the building.

This urge to do dove magic just won't seem to go away. I have tried to put it out of my mind and move on, but it just keeps coming back.

I love your trailer! Who did the airbrush?

Thanks again!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Hi Regan,

I know what you mean about coming back to dove magic. I keep trying to do more routines without animals because it is so much easier to travel, but I LOVE dove magic.

I do have some cages in the aviary that I keep my show birds in. They are fairly large cages. It helps to keep them tamer.

I'm glad you like the trailer. There is a guy at the local mall that has been doing all my airbrushing. I think he likes doing such different stuff than the regular airbrushing he does all day long.

Dakota Rose

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Dakota,

Glad to know about those cages. I was going to build one, but then I couldn't see one in your photo, so I was curious.

You're lucky to have a good artist nearby.

Keep up the good work!

Regan
Mister Mystery
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
I don't have plans to work with doves but I have often wondered if they would make good pets. They seem to deal with the handling in magic better than I would!
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Dakota, Thanks for sharing your well constructed web site and informative dove info. I do need some doves actually. I've got four and they are all female. Don't know how you are about shipping them. Delivery is very timely and I'm sure they need special containment. It's the least I can do to assist your finances to help defray costs of convention hopping. I'm sure someday I'll see your act. You have been very fortunate to have such giving family. You'll go far.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Thank you for your kind words Dr. Solar. PM me and we can talk about getting you some doves. Although, it may be difficult to mail to CA. (might take too long from Ohio.)

Dakota Rose

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Dakota, the time to ship doves does not matter what state you are shipping to. The post office guarantees overnight delivery to almost every area. I once shipped doves not far from me and the post office misshipped them to the wrong state. They worked all night to find the package and got them correctly delivered in 2 days instead of 1 but the doves were fine. They are hearty birds as you know and as long as they can get to some source of water, they'll be fine. I always put a piece of sponge in a seed cup with water for them. They'll peck at the sponge for moisture if necessary. I believe the shipping cost is still about $22 for a box of 4 birds.
Where the magic begins
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Hi Mr. Scribner,

I remember you telling me that. That's why I always put in extra water and food. I sent some doves from Ohio to Pennsylvania and it took 2 days. I was not a happy camper about that one. I just worry too much about them although, I have never had any problems.

I haven't tried the sponge. I'll have to try that one.

Well, talk to you later.

Dakota Rose

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Best thing to do is check with the post office before mailing to get a delivery time. I know there are a few areas that can't use the next day delivery promise. Two days isn't a long time really.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Keeping Doves Outdoors? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL