The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The best close-up mentalism trick (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I no longer do. That was when I was a kid.
Jon Stetson
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Jon Stetson
Quote:
On 2007-02-05 02:02, Dynamike wrote:
I went around the brass pole too many times. Smile

Let me ask again did you READ 13 steps? I understand and admire your enthusiasm. Every time I check in over here you seem to be chasing after the next shinny balloon that floats by. When someone asks you a serious question, you come back with a flippant remark.

I wish you all the best in your pursuit of mentalism. But to real succeed you are going to have to focus a bit more. Don’t just read but study the books that have been recommended to you. Spend sometime alone with your notebook. Don’t spend so much time here. Don’t worry everything will still be here when you return.
Good luck with your studies. I sincerely hope you achieve your goals.
AJX
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AJX
Like it or not Dynamike is more amusing than most of those who take his bait. If it were a reflection on the respective shows which you all put on, I know which one I would go to- got to be Mike all the way !!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I have not finished the whole book. I'm studying the chapters that interest me first. That is where I learned CT. I purchased the book last year in November. Early last year before I even heard of 13 Steps... I was asking where can I find CT because I had no idea what it was. I pictured it as an object at first.

I would say more, but I think I see a balloon passing by.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Mind Power deck has to be right up there. The layman is used to "picking" a card, not merely "thinking" of one (from an apparently fair deck of 52)
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
346 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
Quote:
On 2006-01-20 16:15, sjdavison wrote:
It is hard to beat a CT, or any peek, to reveal a personal piece of information. I cannot think of a stronger effect, if it is sold corectly.

That aside, with cards, it is hard to beat the ID, BCS, or radar deck. Osterlind's watch routine is a firm favourite of mine also.

Simon

I could not agree more. Revealing secret information, however obtained is very strong. After all this is bread and butter for the 'real' psychics, who people believe in and spend lots of money phoning, daily.

Merlin
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Any effect where the process literally involves a 'thought of ...'. Not written down, picked out or handled in any way, simply thought of. Think about it, there are quite a few effects around of this nature these days.

By structuring the effect around the perception of a thought of possibility amongst many, layman just cannot begin to fathom what might have given you any clues and therefore often come to the conclusion that it may have been the real thing. Some will refuse to believe it wasn't.

Often the key with these type of effects is the subtlety and confidence of your pumping skills. My 3 favourites are the Cassandra Deck, Mind Power Deck, Kennedy's Standed Mission.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
For quick and simple I prefer P-PICK Prediction Cards. I never have to touch anything as it can all be done in the spectators hands without any participation on my part...just a few words of introduction to make it interesting for the spectator. I won't even know the predicted sign until the spectator causes it to appear on the card that they chose.
RickThibau
View Profile
Loyal user
Brazil
255 Posts

Profile of RickThibau
I want to update my favourite close up effects:
-Coin bending (with spectator's coin and in her/his hands)
-Mind reading (ct, or any peek)

With Cards
-Card Calling (with Mnemonica) or Kolossal Killer
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2006-01-25 04:55, Mesaboogie wrote:
The greatest mentalism trick??

For example, one of the best routines in my closeup mentalism act is "coin in hand", why? Because it's a very interactive effect that builds and builds and builds to a wonderful climax. It's taken probably a good 6 months to get the effect where I wanted it as far as presentation, misdirection and patter. However, that doesn't mean that if anyone goes out and buys MIDAS to do that trick that you'll receive the same results.

Which coin in hand effect is that?
Cheers
TJ
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2006-01-25 04:55, Mesaboogie wrote:
The greatest mentalism trick??

For example, one of the best routines in my closeup mentalism act is "coin in hand", why? Because it's a very interactive effect that builds and builds and builds to a wonderful climax. It's taken probably a good 6 months to get the effect where I wanted it as far as presentation, misdirection and patter. However, that doesn't mean that if anyone goes out and buys MIDAS to do that trick that you'll receive the same results.

Which coin in hand effect is that?
Cheers
TJ
Hostile18
View Profile
Loyal user
London
231 Posts

Profile of Hostile18
I think this is a very strange topic. It seems like people are trying to analyse pieces of mentalism as if they were card gimmicks. Context and execution are everything if you're trying to perform mentalism close-up. You could make Osterlind's Watch Routine dull and pointless, or you could make a simple billet switch profound and shocking mind-reading.

The best close-up mentalism effect isn't going to be something you can by for 20 dollars, it's going to be a unique opportunity that you manage to capitalise on, and turn into something beautiful. When that happens, you have something worth discussing.
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
Center Tear or Acidus Novus. Psychological Touches

Robert
BERMINI
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of BERMINI
Ring of Truth or P-Pik Prediction cards. KIS.
Vinzent
View Profile
New user
París, France
98 Posts

Profile of Vinzent
Psicocynethick Touch. Positive Negative.
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
I can do full solid one hour Close Up without repeating the same routine, only carry my Peek Wallet and my Predator Wallet...by carry both of them I can do 10 sets of Close Up Mentalism...so I never leave home without them...since I use them as normal everyday wallet also Smile
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Now . . . if you could just get rid of the wallets!

Smile
J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Fogel At The Pentagon (Maurice Fogel)

This Way Out Outdone! (Stanley Jaks + Paolo Cavalli)

NW Number Prediction (John Carney)

Prevaricator (Patrick Redford)

Shades Of Mind + Into The White Combo (Paolo Cavalli)

Of course those are just a few that were now on top of my head... but it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for me to list all of the amazing things I could do.

There is NO such thing as ONE best effect, rather MANY best effects.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
NW Number Prediction (John Carney)

Where can this be found?
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Quote:
On 2007-04-07 12:18, TT2 wrote:
Now . . . if you could just get rid of the wallets!

ouch.....

I can do Body Magic.....require only my word and the body part of the subject
that would be 10 different effects to do Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The best close-up mentalism trick (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL