The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Co-workers are superstitious (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
I live in south africa where the african culture is steeped in superstition and witchcraft etc. While most people are westernised and understand sleight of hand magic VS witchcraft a select few still believe in witchcraft.

My co-worker is one such example...how do I make him understand without tipping methods? any ideas?
madmaxa
View Profile
New user
Serbia and Montenegro
61 Posts

Profile of madmaxa
Teach him something, some easy to perform, but efective tricks. Who knows, maybe he'll love it just enough to assist you in future performances.
Life Coaching and Covert Hypnosis Coaching in Serbian or English language.
Serbian website: http://www.newera.co.rs/
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
LOL how deep is his belief? Is he afraid of you? I say if it does not pose and threat of any kind. Let him think that way. If not then just perform more comical or friendly type of effects.
Sfarad
View Profile
Loyal user
Israel
233 Posts

Profile of Sfarad
That's our aim right? To seem magical to people...Unless it is your goal reveal him the methods. Seriously though.
'Magic is the bloodstream of the universe. Forget all you know or think you know! All that you require, is your intuition'.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
MacGyver, sorry about his luck. If he believes that magic is actually the "work of the devil" there is nothing you can do, nor should do, to convince him otherwise.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
I recently tried to wean a co-worker from her horoscope dependency by providing a written cold reading. This is a somewhat personal campaign for me, having had close friends and family fleeced by new age charlatans.

My co-worker was astonished that I "knew" so much about her. I explained what a cold reading was. I explained how everybody sees themselves in vague, complimentary generalities. And I explained that I'd gotten the script from some guy's site on the Internet...

...to which she replied, unblinkingly:

"So, how did HE know so much about me?"

Perhaps this is as much of an indictment of my teaching skills as anything, but my final analysis is this: Fooling people is fine. Exploiting them is not. Recognizing where the former becomes the latter is our responsibility, and it's also the fodder for lengthy debates that you'll find in the archives of this wonderful forum.

Regards,

-jjg
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Sometimes it's best to just smile warmly and back away slowly...
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
I know what you are talking about.

It happen to me about 19 years ago when I was in kenya, performing in a turistic village; to impress the staff I've called a security guy and I perform the "Hypno Heat" with him: He became "letterally" white, he was scarve for my "powers" and from that night he was looking at me as a "sorcerer", the most dangerous person to be in contact! Poor guy, I felt bad for him and I'd never convinced him that it was only a magic trick...

I second madmaxa, it could be good to involve him (as an assistent), teach him something easy, and in relaxed manner.

Good luck!

Paolo Venturini
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
In my own opinion, I have always felt best, that for me, to let the people think the way they will, If I think it is reasonable and not harmful to my reputation. Magic is mysterious,there is not supposed to be an explanation. Otherwise, people wouldn't care. I find that the people yelling "No! magic isn't real, Magic is not real!", Are the ones trying to convince themselves. I agree with Sfarad. Exploit? of course not, after all we are "highly trained" professionals, But Magicians and actors we still are at heart. Fooling people into the impossible is possible is what we were put here to do.

Again, Just an opinion.

Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
In my own opinion, I have always felt best, that for me, to let the people think the way they will, If I think it is reasonable and not harmful to my reputation. Magic is mysterious,there is not supposed to be an explanation. Otherwise, people wouldn't care. I find that the people yelling "No! magic isn't real, Magic is not real!", Are the ones trying to convince themselves. I agree with Sfarad. Exploit? of course not, after all we are "highly trained" professionals, But Magicians and actors we still are at heart. Fooling people into the impossible is possible is what we were put here to do.

Again, Just an opinion.

Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes

Again, Just an opinion.

Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
madmaxa
View Profile
New user
Serbia and Montenegro
61 Posts

Profile of madmaxa
Well. I just sad that, if he feels like in danger situation, he should teach that guy a few basics, to show him what the magic really is, or just to move away. As far as possible.
Life Coaching and Covert Hypnosis Coaching in Serbian or English language.
Serbian website: http://www.newera.co.rs/
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
I'd have fun with it personally. Check out David Blaine in Magic Man when he goes to Africa and has to deal with just that.
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Its not fun considering that in some places in africa if you're considered a witch you will be killed..

I know how wierd this must sound to westerners -hell I find it strange..I think I'm gonna teach him 2 tricks one being Smileo as I do..and the second probably a french drop..what do you think?
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Yeah... I understand. Those would be great. Tell him it is all in fun. Magic is an Art.

Just make sure he doen't tell anyone...Smile

Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Co-workers are superstitious (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL