The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Is Bobo's Modern Coin Magic too old? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I haven't seen it yet, but based on reputation (and while we're waiting anxiously for Mike Gallo's DVDs) you might want to check out Larry Barnowsky's 21st Century Coin Mechanics.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2006-01-20 23:38, photius wrote:
Magicians often think that some trick won't fly today, but that is because we are magicians and used to high tech, slick packaged tricks, and because we know how the trick is done,we presume everybody else does.

Sometimes, because the secret is so simple, we think... that's just dumb. But in actual practice some of the simplest methods are KILLER! I remember when I first read "The Bobo Complete Coin Vanish" (beginning of chapter four). I thought there was no way anyone would ever fall for THAT!!!! Recently, I was getting help on a routine and the magician suggested I use that method. He demonstrated it for me. Even though I knew exactly what he was doing and even the precise moment when he was doing it, I absolutely could not spot it! I thought he must be messing with me and actually using a different vanish. He wasn't. It was just that good! So, when you read through books like Bobo's, don't discount the methods as being antiquated (and therefore somehow unworthy). They still work today as well as they did back then. Yes, you need to update the patter on some things and, no, you can't borrow a half dollar from someone these days, but the essential elements of Bobo's CAN be adapted for modern magic.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
How long did "biting the piece out of a (gaffed) coin" lay in hiding in the Bobo coin book until David Blaine performed it , now everyones doing it. Sometimes we still can't see the forest for the trees.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bobo's is loaded with lot's of gems. Not everything will be for everybody, but there is plenty of great stuff to choose from.

Outdated or too old? Not in my book!

Regan
Mister Mystery
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I did my retention of vision vanish for none other than Mickey Silver. He exclaimed that it was really good and really burned the image in his eye, but it seemed odd that I did it the way that I did. He liked the vanish. It was exactly Bobo's vanish, by the way, it's also in Tarbell #1.

Check out Peregrinating Halves from Bobo's too. It's wonderful. It's one of my staples. I use it along with Gaddabout Coins. In Gaddabout Coins the coins are put into the pocket and keeps jumping back out. In Peregrinating Halves the coins keep seeping through your closed fist, trying to escape from one another.
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
The Bobo book is a lot like Tarbell. Great information that has to be put into a modern context. For the few bucks the paperback version costs its worth having even if you need to read around the dated material. Call it research, history or good magic, its still a classic.
JokersWild
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of JokersWild
Quote:
On 2006-01-20 21:45, tedb wrote:
So what are you saying jokerswild...magic cant be good if its done by old foggies....

koz

No koz I don't think that magic cant be good if its done by old foggies as you put it. I just thought that mabye some of the routines might need a little improving and I just wanted to see what everyone else in here thinks. For example. In the Bobo book it teachs you the Backpalm. I think that that Goshman pinch is better than the backpalm and I think that's what Bobo should have showed us. But mabye it wasnt around back than I don't know. I don't know that much about the history of sleights and stuff like that and also I havent tried everything yet in the book so I cant really speak for it that much its why I posted this thread.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2006-01-22 00:25, JokersWild wrote:
I think that that Goshman pinch is better than the backpalm and I think that's what Bobo should have showed us.

Read Bobo cover-to-cover, that way you won't miss his description and application of the Goshman pinch. (Yes, it's in there!)

Look at Silver or Copper Extraction, Copper Penetration and Expansion of Texture; the combination of the first two is one of the strongest coin routines you can do. I perform it all the time doing walk-around and the audience is stunned.
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
After reading this thread yesterday I got out my Bobo book. Its better than I remimbered and I need to work with it again. People and coins are pretty much the same and the book is a gem for what it costs. For less than the cost of a cheap packet trick its a best buy. Even your change from the purchase can be used to do magic with!
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
I Could not agree with you more JokersWild.
Bobo is old, ancient, antiquated, archaic, it's downright prehistoric! It has Line drawings in it!!! It has verbage from a by-gone era...Pshaw!
It should be banned, removed from the shelf, burned!
Only "Slick CD's should be available showing a routine over and over again, so the viewer can 'clone'the ideas and never have to think, let alone develope a unique style.
No one should ever waste their time thumbing through the pages of such an outrages, passe material pretending to be "Modern" coin magic.
Light the torches and grab the pitchforks!
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Quote:
On 2006-01-22 17:00, Wizzard wrote:
I Could not agree with you more JokersWild.
Bobo is old, ancient, antiquated, archaic, it's downright prehistoric! It has Line drawings in it!!! It has verbage from a by-gone era...Pshaw!
It should be banned, removed from the shelf, burned!
Only "Slick CD's should be available showing a routine over and over again, so the viewer can 'clone'the ideas and never have to think, let alone develope a unique style.
No one should ever waste their time thumbing through the pages of such an outrages, passe material pretending to be "Modern" coin magic.
Light the torches and grab the pitchforks!

Great Post Wizzard! Ha ha ha! Nice try!

Seriouslyn I do agree that the moves are old! I say old because It was written years before I even existed , heck even my mom and dad I guess. The contents are timeless however.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
JokersWild, perhaps you haven't been alive long enough to realize just how hard it is to understand one of the things that you said. Allow me to quote you.

"...No koz I don't think that magic cant be good if its done by old foggies as you put it..."

If I understand you correctly, that is to say, that you think that we venerate veterans are quite capable of performing good magic just like you youngsters, then your sentence is a double negative. One negative (I don't think) cancelling another (can't be good). In that case your sentence might have been more clear if you said,

"...No koz I thing that magic can be good when performed by old fogies as you put it..."

I don't mean to be picky, JokersWild, but I really am left confused. I'm only presuming that you are meaning what I interpreted. You may have accidentally used a double negative when you actually meant a single. Sort of the way people say, "I could care less..." which literally means that they care. If they could care less then that means that they must care to one degree or another, else they would not have been able to care less, or, they couldn't care less - which is probably what they meant in the first place.

I'm not sure what you meant, but I am positive that as entertainers we should probably become familiar with our mother tongue.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Couldn't hurt. Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Bobo's is the source for a good many of todays coin workers.
Lots of the MCM material has been modified. Whether that means 'improved' is a matter of opinion.

ROVs, Shuttle Passes, Edge Grips, "Messiah Vanish" and many other sleights and routines are variations of the stuff found in MCM stuff.

Recently, on another topic, some magicians were wowed by a demo. I was too. The next day I was browsing MCM for something else and came upon the basics of the demo. Like so many others, I had forgotten about a lot of the wonderful things in this great book.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is another way to look at this. When coins cease being round, flat, made of metal and commonly used as money, Bobo's book may be of less use. However, I've done some of the same things with mints, checkers, and keys! We might should just change the name so it will be new!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
The owner of a local magic shop was on the phone. A customer in the store approached me and asked what I'd buy for a boy with an interest in magic.

"I love coins," I explained, rolling a Morgan show-offedly. "For me, the best stuff in the store is here..." I gestured toward the book rack, then produced Kennedy halves one-by-one from a shrinkwrapped copy of "Modern Coin Magic".

She seemed delighted, but then replaced the book.

"Well," she shrugged "He DOES love magic, but I don't think he wants to read anything."

My heart sank. So my answer to the topic is this:

For this kid, and the many like him, for whom a love of literacy was never sparked, Jean Bobo's material is "too old". Not for the age of its content, but for the dwindling literacy of its audience.

Regards,

-jjg
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
I cant see how magic can be 'old' I am 15, and a few years ago I was in the shop with a friend, she doesn't not like magic but she isn't interested in it, and when I asked for a book she looked at the date and commented on how old it was, anyway, the man serving me told her how magic never gets too old, or out of date,

think of how much you use the classic palm, and I am guessing that is an old slieght, and various other sleights, think how long money has been around for and think of how long magic has been around for.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Look at it this way, if it is new and crap it might still sell because it's new. If it's old and crap it would long ago have been out of print.

If it's old and still in print then it must be very good indeed because it is still selling.

Publishers don't keep pulishing books that people don't buy.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Bobo Outdated? Is that a real question? I worked in a magic shop for years, and the nver-ending refrain from cutomers was, "What's New?" In fact, it was so much a part of one customers routine that we called HIM Whatsnew! "Hello, Whatsnew, how's the wife?" Our answer to the question was always, "If you haven't seen it, it's new!"

I'll bet that I can construct, in an afternoon, a coin set from the pages of Bobo that will surprise even its' most ardent supporters. There is THAT MUCH good material in the book.

And, there is a ton of stuff that people USED TO DO, but have forgotten. How many of you do "Presto-Chango"? Mike Skinner featured that trick, I have done it since 1967, and I know at least two other performers that include it in most of thier impromptu work. Yet, if amgicians are present when I do it, they almost always comment on it. Why? It's right there in Bobo, that "outdated" source book...

Classic quickies in Bobo include things like "Silver Lining", "Coin to Key", "Coin thru Hank", etc. All these are entertaining quick tricks that anyone can learn easily, and always have on hand.

More defined presentations that are eternally good include, "The Gadabout Coins", "Expansion of Texture", "Magical Filtration of...", and "Copper/Silver Transposition", all good classic effects.

More formal, standup or stage presentations: Charlie Miller's version of the "Miser's Dream" is without peer. The "Coin in the Ball of Wool" has been a feature of many professional acts for decades, and is as strong now as it was 100 years ago.

And then there are the off-beat effects: "The Pulse Trick", "Mystery with a Half Shell", "Kort's Fourth", "The Purse Game", etc.

Don't forget all the coin box stuff, the gaffed coin magic, specialty items, etc. Add to that the chapter on legends of magic like Downs, L'Homme Masque, etc., and you have a book that offers so much good magic with coins that you REALLY DON"T ever need another book on coins. This is not to say you won't ever WANT another book on coins, but if you learned what is in Bobo you shouldn't ever NEED another...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
I have to say, "Presto-Chango" is "blowing them away" when I show it, a beautiful effect. While on the subject, does anyone have a video of this? I'm wondering about the timing of opening the hand to reveal the change. I've experimented with pausing before the reveal, and also opening the hand immediately the "thrown" coin is in. Do any of our experienced friends here have a preference?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Is Bobo's Modern Coin Magic too old? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL