The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » OLEP fake fruits/egg? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Hey everyone!

I would like to purchase the "fakes" for this routine... does anyone have a reference for a good place to purchase fake (hollow) fruits? Would you recommend using a wooden egg for the one you vanish? Also, what is the best thing to use for an adhesive to hold them together? Even with the real fruits, I used rubber cement and wasn't too happy with it!

Bryan
Vanish
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Vanish
Contact John Shyrock.
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
Hey,

I am waiting patiently for my new OLEC table and cage. I found fruit that will work nicely at our local Hobby Lobby. I found a fake lemon and a wooden egg that I painted white. I also found a fake orange but will only use that for display.

This fruit is not suitable to cut apart to make the gimmicked fruit. I will be using the lemon and egg for the initial vanish in the table. I will be using real fruit for the gimmicked version. But this fake stuff will work perfectly for the initial vanish.

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Bryan,

I have noticed that at certain furniture stores (Ikea, Expo, etc.) they have display fruits that are made of plastic. I can't quite remember if they are hollow or not, but if your in or near a furniture store, I'd check them out!

-Vinnie
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Thanks for the advice so far guys!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bryan,

Some that I use in a Crystal Silk Cylinder came from Dollar Tree and the rest from a craft shop.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Vanish
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Vanish
By the way, John Shyrock offers pre-cut rubber fruit especially made for the OLEC.
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
Do you have his contact info?
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Oh yah- I'd like to get that as well!
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
The lemon that I use came from a Dollar Tree type store. It's hollow and very realistic. The egg I got from a craft store. They used to sell fake eggs at Cracker Barrel gift shops too. The fake eggs that you get at craft stores tend to be very heavy and I hear there are some excellent and very realistic sponge eggs on the magic market now.

To glue the fruits I just use Elmer's glue, but you will need to apply it to the edge of each piece of the fruit and let it get dry and gunky before you actually assemble the pieces. Stupid me tried to just put the thing together with wet glue the first time I tried. You're also going to want to make sure that the glue on your assembled lemon is completely dry before you assemble your orange.

I've also heard of people using airplane glue, but have never tried it. Anyone on here have luck with that?

Cris
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I use a glue used on model airplanes...it's basically a thick super glue and it's fantastic. It is common in most hobby and it works perfectly for me.
Zaubern Smile
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Thanks for the great advice!

I am still looking for John Shyrock's contact info...and not having much luck..

Bryan
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
963 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Paraguppie,

Who's version did You go with ?
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
Hi Wayne,

Mine is a custom built table in my color scheme (purple and yellow) that is one of a kind. It was built by Chance Wolf of Wolf's magic and uses a Chalet cage. It's not the table you see on his site, it's totally different. He built 2, one for himself and one for me so I guess it's not quite one of a kind, but close enough. He told me he will never make another one like it. It will be here this week! I can't wait!

Keith
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
I should also add some kudos for Mr. Doug Malloy. He was very cool about helping me with the fruit. He uses real fruit for the final load and explained to me how to put it together. It's much like what you guys were talking about earlier with the glue. If you haven't worked with Doug, he's a great guy and has some killer routines/props out there. Good stuff!

Keith
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
963 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Sounds great Keith , bet Your very pleased with the end result.
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
It's not here yet, should be this week, but I'm sure it will rock!

Keith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » OLEP fake fruits/egg? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL