The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where are the domino effects? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
Just as a change from cards, are there any great domino effects out there? ( Not sure if some parts of the world are familiar with dominoes - not the pizza - and it's harder to find sets in British pubs these days ).

Here we have 28 little pieces of wood with great mental effect potential and yet they never warrant the attention of, for example, dice. Most people prefer to line them up in their thousands and watch them knock each other over in evermore elaborate patterns.

Any suggestions?
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
How about a PK effect? Set up a dozen dominoes and use a Mesika loop extended from hand-to-hand to knock over the first one which, in turn, causes a chain reaction knocking over all of them. Smile I smell a great TV piece...

Dave
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
375 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Yes, there are some specific domino effects. I have tried kurotsuke with dominoes (changing the ending slightly) and I can think of half a dozen effects where you can use dominoes in place of something else you just need to use your imagination a little.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
wow !!! ESP guy, can you give me the permission tu use this idea in the futur..if by any chance i perform it on t.v, i will send you a copy of the show...

thanks in advance...

take care

KUFFS
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Quote:
On 2002-11-18 10:14, ESP Guy wrote:
How about a PK effect? Set up a dozen dominoes and use a Mesika loop extended from hand-to-hand to knock over the first one which, in turn, causes a chain reaction knocking over all of them. Smile I smell a great TV piece...

Dave

I came up with a very similar idea last year using PK. The first block is gimmicked, and the others regular Dominoes. The advantage was that it could be done under glass. I shared the idea with Chuck Leach, but nothing came of it as far as I know.

The nice thing about using the row of Dominoes, is that your influence looks greater than it is.

I like the loop suggestion. Very clean.

As for other mental Dominoe effects; There is the "classic" piece where you predict the two end values after the participant freely sets up the blocks in a row. I believe Tom Yurasits Productions is selling a set of Dominoes for this effect, although if you know the working you can use your own.
ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
Quote:
On 2002-11-18 14:38, kuffs wrote:
wow !!! ESP guy, can you give me the permission tu use this idea in the futur..if by any chance i perform it on t.v, i will send you a copy of the show...

thanks in advance...

take care

KUFFS

Patrik,

Feel free to use it... and, yes, if you perform it on TV, I would like a video.

Best Wishes,

Dave
Luke Kerr
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Luke Kerr
Only a little idea:
What about taking two specs ,removing one piece of dominoes let them think one number eachr then let them playing with the dominoes.
At the end the two row could be connected with the piece you took.And the two number are the thinked numbers.
Luke
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
Nice ideas, guys.

Perhaps a book is called for. I shall raise the profile of the humble domino until it becomes as indespensable as a pack of cards. There are a wealth of new effects to be created:
"Domino To Wallet", "Dominoes Across", the famous "Three Domino Monte", "Any Domino At Any Number" .....

I think I'll go and have a lie down in a dark room, and then I'll start that book!
We're having a laugh!
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
I used to do the classic domino effect of predicting the end values without using dominoes. I used business-sized cards with 2 colored dots on the back.
Naturally the color of the dots varied from card to card, but it worked the same way as the domino effect,
I also used larger (5x8) file cards with larger colored dots for stage work. I had an easel covered with flannel & stuck a strip of flannel on the back of each file card so they'd stick to the flannel easel. Shades of fundie Sunday schools!
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Quote:
"Dominoes Across", the famous "Three Domino Monte"

Beat to the punch on these... Smile

Three Domino Monte by Ren-Nee

http://www.daytonamagic.com/Close-up/CU1......0REN-NEE

Crazy Dominos by Marcelo Contento (a "domino across" transpo)

http://www.hanklee.net/cgi-bin/quikstore......arch=yes

If the topic is really of interest to you, an internet search will yield a good dozen Domino / Domino theme effects.
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
'Three Domino Monte'

Obviously great minds thinking alike on this.
As for the last domino prediction, I'm sure I've got it in a book somewhere.

Because of the positioning of the dots, the domino probably lends itself to transpositioning better than a card, and as with playing cards there must also be some mathematical principles to be played around with.
We're having a laugh!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where are the domino effects? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL