The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Training and Flying... (VLaraway and Jack) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys...

I just wanted to share my experience with my dove, Jack, so far! So, I shot this video of my an him. This video contains me having him fly around using the techniques I've acquired from Doves 101, and other places...

Hope You Guys Like It!
Dove Training and Flying with Vinnie and Jack

-Vinnie
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Vinnie,

Seems like you're off to the right start. Just remember, doves LOVE clean rooms. Clean you room for him Smile Just kidding. Keep up the good work. You're on your way. Very good progress for the short amount of time you had him.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Haas,

LOL! Thanks for the insight! If you'd like, I can keep you guys updated (video-wise) with his progress on his training and flying...

Thanks again!
-Vinnie
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Good job, be careful with the dove cage in your room. Ask your parents for a air purifier to clean and circulate the air. I've been told that living with doves in your room is like smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. The feather dust can cause problems and isn't healthy.

By keeping your room clean you can also tell how much dust is in your room and when it's time to clean up again. Smile
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Mr. Muggle,

Thanks! I did not know that about the dust on the feathers... Thanks for the warning... I will look into picking up an air purifier...

-Vinnie
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Yes Vinnie,

Doves have a powder the excrete on their feathers. It's much the same as our hair excretes oil. Check it out. War an all black shirt and rub your dove on it, and you'll see the white powder gathers on your shirt. I have parrots, and they have the same thing.

Please do keep us updated on your progress. When the time comes, show me some effects you're using (like a dove pocket and stuff). Okay? Read about the care of the dove. That is the MOST important. Youcan teach a dove many tricks, but if it dies,all those hours training it are wasted. Feel free toPM me if you ned anything.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Before you go out and get you parents to invest in air purifiers, understand that one dove usually doesn't require a purifier. If you keep your cage clean, spray the bird every few days with a mist of water, you should be fine. If you get more doves, then I'd start looking at purifiers. If you live in the same room with your bird, and it looks like you do, just try to keep the room ventilated. Here in New Jersey, you can usually open a window for a little bit each day even in the winter, just keep the dove out of the draft.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Hey guys... I just though I'd share some pics of the cage I keep him in:

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/2343/cage44xe.jpg
(The Cage Closed)

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/4697/cage55cg.jpg
(The Cage Opened)

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/5672/cage17eh.jpg
(The Inside Of The Cage)

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/6509/cage31mm.jpg
(How To take The Food And Water Containers Out)

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/4269/cage23yg.jpg
(The Toy In His Cage That He Never Plays With)

AND, Here's a little video that I shot of him eating some pieces of food...

Jack Eating

-Vinnie
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Hi Vinnie

Good work Vinnie, I would like to see if I can put the video on that site of me training my doves, So you can see my doves doing fly backs and come to me when called, also you should have a dove marker like a Top Hat, Wand, Lamp, ett. If your dove fly around and see its mark then he will land where he is use to hanging out.

FYI: Vinnie, many years ago I had two doves die because of the corn in the food. But since then I now feed them true Dove food “made for doves”

Vinnie do you have your dove routine ready? Let me know by e-mail: Oh by the way seeing your dove eat, it looks more like a Jackie. I always see My female dove eat like that, then you will see an egg.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, doves are not like parrots or canaries. The toy in the cage will most likely never be played with. They are just not players.
Where the magic begins
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Quote:
On 2006-01-23 21:53, Dave Scribner wrote:
Vinnie, doves are not like parrots or canaries. The toy in the cage will most likely never be played with. They are just not players.

I will also say that doves don't care for the toys
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Dave, how about a small bird mirror? When I was a kid we were concerned about my single dove getting lonely; so we put a small bird mirror in the cage. The results were mixed because he would now coo and dance for it all day long thinking it was another bird. In the end the dove was more active...but the constant coo-ing was a headache.

I never put that dove in with other birds. Would a mirror in the cage have an effect on how the dove would later respond if he were caged with other birds?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-01-23 21:36, Maro Anglero wrote:
Hi Vinnie

Good work Vinnie, I would like to see if I can put the video on that site of me training my doves, So you can see my doves doing fly backs and come to me when called, also you should have a dove marker like a Top Hat, Wand, Lamp, etc. If your dove fly around and see its mark then he will land where he is use to hanging out.

Maro, Thanks for that! It'd be great if you put up a video of your dove! About the marker... I have only had him for about a week now, and I think I may start with that sometime this week and see how it goes... A video may be shot also! Smile

Quote:
FYI: Vinnie, many years ago I had two doves die because of the corn
in the food. I but since then I now feed them true Dove food “made for doves”

That's terrible! The food that I feed him have some exceptionally large pieces that are hard as a rock! I'd be more than willing to look into the kind of food you feed yours!

Quote:
Vinnie do you have your dove routine ready? Let me know by e-mail:
Oh by the way seeing your dove eat, it looks more like a Jackie. I always see
My female dove eat like that, then you will see an egg.
Maro

Well, My dove pan has not come int he mail yet, but I have 3 routines that I can choose from... Once I get the pan, and practice a bit with Jack, I'll shoot a few videos... And my mom says the same thing! She says Jack looks like a female... I have no clue how you could distinguish a birds sex just by look... But, the breeder told me it was most likely a male, and I like the name Jack... Even if it does lay an egg, Smile I'm still going to keep the name Jack... ;-)

And Dave, Thanks... I understand now!
-Vinnie
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hey Vinnie,

Good work, you must have a smart bird. I have worked with birds for a long time, and had no idea that you could train them so fast. Mine must all just be stupid...

As far as the air filter goes, make sure that you do not get an ionic breeze. I can't remember the name of the organization right now, but a government organization did research on the ionic breeze and the studies show that it's actually bad for you. It actually creates too much o-zone and becomes harmful to breathe. I wish I could remember the site to authenticate this post, but for the life of me I just can't remember it... however it IS a government site. Hope this helps.

There's an ad in BirdTalk every month that is for a good air filter. I have seen it in there for years... always a full page, b&w ad. It is expensive, but so are doctor appointments and funerals. His website is http://www.aircleanersforbirds.com I would seriously consider this, ESPECIALLY if you are keeping the birds in your room...

Good luck!

Dave

Dave
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Dave,

Thanks!! Well, I only have one dove... So is it neccesary to get one of those air cleaners?

-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
Dave, how about a small bird mirror

Mr. Muggle, I used a mirror with my very first bird and she ignored it just like any other toy. Since then, I haven't used one. Every bird is different. If your's likes it or reacts to it, I'd say no harm done. I wouldn't be concerned with mixing a mirror adoring dove with other birds. Now if you put the bird in with a mirror and it lays a shiny egg, I'd be concerned. Kidding of course. :rtof:

Vinnie, if your room is well ventilated, I wouldn't be concerned with getting an air purifier just yet.
Where the magic begins
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
As Dave said, I don't think you'd have to worry about it if you only have one right now. You'll be able to tell; if you have a lot of dust on your table that you keep the dove on, then you need to take further action... whether that action is cleaning the cage (or you room) more often Smile... or possibly misting the dove more... or maybe even a filter.

Food for thought.
Dave
jcorb
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of jcorb
I didn't see any grit in your cage. Do you give your bird grit?
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-01-25 00:07, jcorb wrote:
I didn't see any grit in your cage. Do you give your bird grit?

Well, I haven't gotten around to getting it, but am going to pick some up this week, along with some vitamins and treats... Should they have all of this in a regular Pets Mart?

Thanks
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, you should be able to get grit and vitamins at the petsmart. Treats come from the grocery store. You can use apples, hard boiled eggs, frozen peas, leaf lettuce ( not iceberg or head lettuce).

Make sure the grit is small and made for canaies, finches etc, not parrots or cockatoos. Don't wait too long for the grit. Doves absolutely have to have it to digest their food. If they don't get grit, the food will not pass through them and you'll have a real problem on your hands.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Training and Flying... (VLaraway and Jack) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL