The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Should I perfrom Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

robzhere
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, WI
3 Posts

Profile of robzhere
I have recently perfromed for close members of my family and freinds. The routine I did that night was Jeopardy by Paul Green, a 4 phase ring and rope routine by Aldo Colombini, B'Wave bt Phil Goldstein, Nana's Necklace by Dean Dill, and NO Way purchased from Willams Magic. They are already looking forward to next years party. They thourohly enjoyed the show. But.... I have heard nothing but the following phrase: Don't perform magic until your ready to perform, but this sounds like a conundrum. Don't perfrom until your ready but how can you perfect your performance without perfroming? I should say that my career is non magic, although some say it is (to be explained later), however where should I go from here. I will keep practicing but, there is a couple of magic clubs near me, I am thinking about making contact, is this a good idea even though I am just a hobbyist?
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
It's kinda like a swimming pool, you just have to jump in. What they mean by, not performing until you are ready, is that you need to reherse, prepare, practice. You need to do all of those, and you need to do them until you don't have to actualy think about what you are doing, in order to do it. Don't be fooled, you have to do this with your effects, but likewise you must do it with your lines and blocking as well. To have a polished performance, you need to have it all worked out and well rehersed before you put it in front of an audience. If you don't it will be them you are cheating out of "The Show that Might Have Been".
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Practice, practice, and practice as much as you can before performing. Then, go out and perform for strangers. I guarantee you'll make mistakes at first, but the more you perform, the better you'll get.

When people say don't perform until you're ready, they mean that you should practice and rehearse until you can do the routine without even thinking about it.

Shane Wiker
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Just a quick question... Exactly who is telling you "Don't perform magic until you are ready to perform...". Is it the people you have just performed for? If that is the case, they may be politely telling you that you need to practice some more... because they saw how you were doing the illusions. On the other hand, if this piece of advice comes from various boards, then you have to keep in mind that none of us have actually seen you perform... So technicaly, we are not necessarily the best people to tell you if you are ready to perform. You are the one who practiced, and you know the reactions you recieved, you are the best person to know if you are ready or not.

Jack and Shane both gave you very good advice.

As for magic clubs, personnally I am a member of SAM. I really enjoy getting together with other magicians and discussing what we do. Of course, clubs vary from lace to place, but generally they are a good place to try out material and get good feedback. And yes, they will accept you, even if you are "just a hobbyist". Remember that most of us started out as Hobbyists.

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
I like Mr. Scratch's swimming pool analogy.

If you're not certain you can swim, then ease in from the shallow end, testing the waters. It seems you've done that with the show(s) you've already performed.

Confident swimmers are never really "in over their heads".

Regards,

-jjg
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
You can practice and rehearse routines forever.
It's not until you actually perform them for an audience that the truth comes out.
Perform.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
If you look around the various boards here you will find "magicians"who book shows and then ask about an act.
These are the ones who are advised to have an act or routine.
I have even seen "magicians" who have bought a trick on the afternoon and try and perform it on the night.

You are not in these classes.
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Just go out and do it and you will find out yourself if you are ready or not.

Remember the saying... If you do handful of effects perfectly is btter than doing 100s sloppy or knowing how 1000s are done.

Zac
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Anyone who does magic for others should be like a Doctor: Do no harm. If you did a great show, then you ARE performing...right? It sounds like what you are asking is: How do I get more experience so that I can tighten up my work, etc. If that's the case you have many options that will no impinge upon the work of performers in your area that need the work to live.

One area is Children's hospitals or wards. You usually have to be vetted in some manner, but that's fine and should be done. Look into any place where the folks simply will not have money to afford a regular performer. Talk to several local charities and find out if you could work their dinners, etc. Think creatively and you'll find places you can get your performing chops up to par.

From there you may want to enter the scene as a semi-pro. That's another discussion I think, so good luck,
Brad Burt
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Quote:
On 2006-01-23 10:40, eddieloughran wrote:
I have even seen "magicians" who have bought a trick on the afternoon and try and perform it on the night.

I actually was able to pull that off once. I needed a 5 minute routine and I only had 2 minutes so I added something else. I did practice the extra routine for quite a while that day, maybe about 3 hours. Bad idea on my part though.
Bardin
View Profile
New user
Jenison, Michigan
49 Posts

Profile of Bardin
You know I love this section of the forum. I had the same question and am in the same position. I don't want to expose effects or make a fool of myself or the art. But the best part of magic is performing it.

The balance is a tough one to strike.

I have heard many others in this section say video tape yourself. You probably are going to be one of your worst critques anyway. The advice about maybe having other magicians see some of you stuff seems wise to me also. Most of these people love the art, and where I live, are extremely helpful (mostly my local magic shop).

Lastly, I would say enjoy it. That is why you doing it right?
Bardin
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Quote:
On 2006-01-22 22:12, robzhere wrote:
Should I perfrom Magic?

Of course you should perform magic!!! Magic is a performing Art.
Much of the skill required to be a good magician is isn't technical, but in how you perform for, include, and entertain the audience. And that will require flight time.
As a newbie to magic, I perform from time to time and really enjoy it. I put together an act suitable for cub scout groups and school classes. I swap in/out a couple of effects for older/younger groups. I recommend that you choose an audience and put together an act and perform it. Perfect it, and get a reputation for it.

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
What do you mean should I perform magic??of course you have to..there are no other way to improve your magic..standing in front of a mirror for hours only doesn't get you anywhere..u have to make the next move....
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
robzhere
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, WI
3 Posts

Profile of robzhere
Thanks all for your responses. I guess I was on the right track: practice, rehearse, perform. I am fortunate to know many people which gives me the opportunity to perform the routines I've worked on many times. I will also look into the local magic clubs, as a chance to better refine what I've worked on, and receive feedback from those more experienced than myself. Again thanks for the words of wisdom, much appreciated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Should I perfrom Magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL