The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Johnny Cash (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I just realised I have over 200 Johnny Cash tracks! That is a lot of Johnny Cash music for one man.

Any other cash fans around?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-01-22 22:40, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I just realised I have over 200 Johnny Cash tracks! That is a lot of Johnny Cash music for one man.

Any other cash fans around?

I don't have a lot, but I do like him. I like anybody with enough of a sense of humor to do things like; "One Piece At A Time," "Boy Named Sue" and "Chicken In Black."

Have you heard his take on "Thunderball?" Apparently, he came up with a different theme that they decided not to use. It's very good, just doesn't go with the whole "Carribean/Water" thing.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I'm a huge fan of Johnny Cash. In fact, I got teased almost to the point of cruel and unusual punishment from my classmates in the 8th grade because they found out I was a fan. My only regret is that I never got to see him in concert. I can remember thinking that when June died, Johnny would soon follow because they were soulmates and I didn't think he would have the desire to live in a world without her in it.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ah yes, The Man In Black. I'm a fan. My daughter saw the movie and now she is a fan. We bought her a Johnny Cash boxed CD set for Christmas.

Regan
Mister Mystery
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
I have the Cash box set. Some of my favorites: Sunday Morning Coming Down, Oney, I Walk the Line, 'Hey, Porter', Give My Love to Rose, Folsom Prison Blues....
"Go Browns!"
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
What kind of a guy was JC?

Back in the 70's I did a radio commercial in Anchorage for a bank for their 'Cash Account'. I did a dead on Johnnny Cash impersonation and wrote the jingle as well and used the actual Tennesee Three backup band (from a record they had put out.)
One day I was interviewing Floydd Cramer on the air and that commercial played. He 'bought it' and said... "I didn't know Johnny did commercials up here!"
I was a smart ass and said.."Oh yeah...he came through and needed the money...hahaha"
Floydd wanted a copy of it which I gave him...probably hoping I'd get sued for publicity sake...

Any way a couple of weeks later I got a call to please take the commercial off the air. Was it his Lawyer? Manager? Nope. It was Johnny himself...he complimented me on the voice but said even though it was a funny spoof it kind of put him in a bad light for doing commercials for a bank in Alaska for little money. Would I please take care of it?

Of course I did and explained it to the bank as I changed the spot to something else.

ALL class that man and someone who was able to appreciate a minor talent trying to 'get by'.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Wow! That's classy.

My favourite albums are his last two (American III and IV) in which he does a lot of covers including Nine Inch Nails, U2, Nick Cave etc. His cover of I See A Darkness by Wil Oldham is amazing.
icicular
View Profile
New user
USA
75 Posts

Profile of icicular
Doug, you made my week with that story. I'm a huge Johnny Cash fan, especially the Sun Records days. He's a giant, an American Treasure.

Cool, you interviewed Floyd Cramer???

What else you got?
A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B. - Fats Domino
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Well I would like to share a true story of how Johnny Cash impacted our show and audiences.

Around two years ago, another magician came to me and said I need to watch this video. He said we should think about adding it to our show, as we do a lot of multi media. He told me who it was and I was like "I really don't think so. Our show is pretty heavy music wise...no way Johnny Cash would fit. I watched the video anyways...it was Johnny Cash's HURT. I was deeply moved by the laying down of his life on this video. It even included scenes from a movie about Jesus that he and June produced.

Needless to say I decided I would work on it. Many here know we do mostly Christian shows and have a message near the end of the show. I started working on a message for this video. It wasnt easy and I wasnt sure if I was going to be able to pull it off. Then we performed shows in Missouri. One particular town we were in was hit with Tornados the day after we left. It devasted most of the city. One woman had five family members and friends killed in the storm. When she stepped outside her home after the storm, she found the neighbors baby impaled in a tree in her front yard. She lost her father and didn't have enough money to pay for her own fathers funeral. If that wasnt enough for a message, just two days later we left a show in Kansas City and we were literally 45 minutes ahead of another tornado that did a lot of damage.

When we made it home, I learned of all the recent tragedy from a ministry we work with that helps people in situations lke this. They help in storms, school shootins, etc. So now I had my message. It was in the video all along.
"Everyone I know goes away, In the end. And you could have it all. My empire of dirt"

So I put the message together about knowing that at any time w could lose everything...about what are we doing...what is it for?

The time came to add it to the show. It would be in Waukeegan, IL. A pretty rough town. We were close to a sell out, just over 1,000 people. I was still nervous and leery of adding this new message to the show. Then something happened, that made me know today was the day to do this. Just 45 minutes vefore we were to go on stage, I got a phone call. The caller let me know that June Carter had just passed away. If ever there was a day to do the message with HURT, today was it.

The show went smoothly, Kristen was focused for her water torture cell escape. It was time for the video. I set the storylne for the audience and showed the video. After it I spoke about how we should not take anything for granted. it can all be taken away in the blink of an eye. I shared the story of the woman in Missouri that lost practically everything. I shared how even just today Johnny Cash lost something very dear to him...his wife and best friend.

After the show we found out that in the back was a group of gang members. As mentioned Waukeegan can be a rough place to live. One of the members was very moved by the video and message and was crying in his seat. His fellow gang members even saw this and ribbed him a little...but even they were moved.

We took a donation at the show for the woman in Missouri. Between our next few shows and the ministry we work with...we raised enough money to pay for the funeral and send a semi trailer full of furniture and food to help her and her neighbors get back on their feet.

This is how Johnny Cash has touched my life. I hope I can do the same for others.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
I've been a fan of JC since I was three years old. My mother had a record album of classic country music that I absolutely adored. The song "Don't Take Your Guns To Town" was included on it. They tell me I made my mother play that song over and over.
I got ragged pretty hard in the late eighties for sporting a Highwaymen t-shirt at my high school.
When everyone was into Garth Brooks and the new country, I had to order JC's "American Recordings" because my local record shop didn't have it.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Love Johnny Cash. Smile Very cool. Very cool. Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Cholly - Its weird how JC has come full circle and is hip again.

I hadn't really heard his stuff until he died and I heard his cover of the Mercy Seat. Was hooked from then!

Dawn of The Dead wins the prize for the best use of Cash song in a movie
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Johnny Cash was ALWAYS cool. Smile
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Scattered Dream
I must say I too am a Cash fan. I like his older tracks but his newer songs are so much more emotional.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I first heard Johnny Cash on my dad's record of his concert at San Quentin prison.

When I got the cd that was released a few years ago I was so pleased that more songs were added that were not on the original record release.

The set of Gospel songs at the end were superb.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Anyone see "Walk the Line" ? Joaquin Phoenix pinned Johnny down as well as anyone could, I'd say. Smile
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
What's not to like? The guy was incredible.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Quote:
On 2006-01-24 16:22, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Wow! That's classy.

My favourite albums are his last two (American III and IV) in which he does a lot of covers including Nine Inch Nails, U2, Nick Cave etc. His cover of I See A Darkness by Wil Oldham is amazing.

It's interesting you should talk about his innovative covers. This was something he always had a talent for, finding great songs, whatever the genre, and making them his own. He was doing Dylan covers before just about anyone else, for example.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Well, he was so distinctive. Standout.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2006-01-30 17:14, magicalaurie wrote:
Anyone see "Walk the Line" ? Joaquin Phoenix pinned Johnny down as well as anyone could, I'd say. Smile

Laurie,

My daughter saw the movie and loved it. That's what got her 'into' Johnny Cash. She thought Reese did a great job portraying June also.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Johnny Cash (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL