The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Johnny Cash (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I used to do a DEAD ON Johnny Cash impersonation. A bank in Anchorage asked me to do a commercial featuring their 'Cash Account'. I was interviewing one of the Nashville great Floydd Cramer on the radio and the commercial came on. He heard it and commented he was surprised Johnny did that for a local bank. I kept my mouth shut. But a couple of weeks later I got a call at the station from...you guessed it...Johnny Cash. Not his lawyer but him. We talked a bit and he complimented me on the rendition and that for a minute he had tried to remember when he had done it...then he politely asked that I have the bank remove the ad since it didn't identify me as the celebrity voice and he prefered to get paid for his voice. (with a chuckle.) A gentleman? I can say that. What he got a kick out of most was that I had used an album featuring the Tennesee Three doing the music they had released. He promised not to tell them. haha. Johnny Cash was top of the food chain.
That punk that played him in the movie is a joke.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4142 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2009-12-28 18:12, Doug Higley wrote:
That punk that played him in the movie is a joke.

Agreed, I do not recognize JC at all in Phoenix's performance.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
There was joy in Cash. The depressing Phoenix had the range of a turnip.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
andini1
View Profile
New user
UK
93 Posts

Profile of andini1
I'm a massive fan of "The Man In Black" and have a huge collection of his CD's & DVD's.
I got to see the JC Show three times (1971; 1986; 1992) - fantastic!
Love to watch the YouTube videos; it would be good to get a copy of some of those rare recordings.
Cash was cool before it had been defined.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2913 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
His brother, Tommy, will be doing a tribute show for him locally on Saturday. I'm hoping to go check it out.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I am not a big Johnny Cash fan, but every time I hear a haunting Johnny Cash song I put it on my ipod. I now have 27 Johnny Cash songs on my ipod that I just couldn't live without. My favorite Johnny Cash songs are "cry, cry, cry", "Delia's gone", "The Beast in me", and "How High's the water, Mama".

WOW
I just looked up the page and I saw the almost exact post that I made a year ago. It's kinda spooky. I have picked up the pace a bit in the past year because I have downloaded 15 more Johnny Cash songs on my ipod since then.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-05-01 20:02, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-01-23 10:57, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-01-22 22:40, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I just realised I have over 200 Johnny Cash tracks! That is a lot of Johnny Cash music for one man.

Any other cash fans around?

I don't have a lot, but I do like him. I like anybody with enough of a sense of humor to do things like; "One Piece At A Time," "Boy Named Sue" and "Chicken In Black."

Have you heard his take on "Thunderball?" Apparently, he came up with a different theme that they decided not to use. It's very good, just doesn't go with the whole "Carribean/Water" thing.

How about "Dirty O' Egg Suckin Dog" and "Oney" and "The one on the right is on the left"? Johnny had a great sense of humor!

I heard "Dog" on one of the prison albums, "San Quentin" I think. I've never heard "Oney," I'm not certain WHO I heard do "The One On The Right Is On The Left." It might have been Cash, I remember hearing in on the old Floyd Thaxton TV show while he acted out the "guy in the rear."
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
andini1
View Profile
New user
UK
93 Posts

Profile of andini1
"Dirty Old Egg Suckin Dog" is on the Folsom Prison album.
"The One On The Right Is On The Left" is on the Everybody Loves A Nut album.
"Oney" is on the Any Old Wind That Blows album.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
So odd that this came up at this time. I was just listening to Folsom yesterday and thinking how cool it would be to do a Cash trubute.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I used to have both (to be fair, they were my father's, but they fell to me when he took off.) and couldn't remember which "Dog" was on.

BTW, you want to hear awesome cool? Here's a video of the title sequence for "Thunderball" set to Johnny's version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3rqS98seNA

It really doesn't fit, but #$%$! it's cool!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
That song cracks me up every time because I actually have a golden retriever who kept eating my chickens until I finally just gave up and torn down the coop.
~Will Rogers
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2913 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Tommy Cash puts on a great show!!! Lovely tribute to Johnny, indeed.

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2913 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
andini1
View Profile
New user
UK
93 Posts

Profile of andini1
Magicalaurie,
That's a great picture.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2913 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou, andini1, I was not surprised, but still very pleased that he allowed photos.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Love Johnny Cash, got all the CDs and records I could find, 2 days worth of music so far, about 1000 songs plus a few dvds

in a cd shop I found a CD with Johnny Cash signed on the cover in gold pen, I managed to get that for free and noone knew if it was johnny cash's real signature. It doesn't look like all his signatures but I have no explanation as to where it came from, a nice little addition to my collection even though I don't know if it's real or not Smile
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16251 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6756 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-09-28 18:34, tommy wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylal5gfj_kY

Tommy, this is a music related thread. Music is against the law in afghanaistan under the taliban- your favoured national leaders. Please, stick to your guns. Don't concede that we're not a police state by admitting we're allowed to listen to music. I'm losing respect for you. I liked you better as an anarchist.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I was watching Hellyeah's video for "Hell of a Time" yesterday and the lead singer is wearing a Cash T-shirt. Everybody loves the man in black.
~Will Rogers
PutASpellOnMe
View Profile
New user
OK
27 Posts

Profile of PutASpellOnMe
Jackson is my all time favorite song!
"A friend is a present you give yourself"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Johnny Cash (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL