The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » I need your help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1569 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Dear fellow Magicians,

I desparately need your help. The unfair should stop here.

It is about one of the most unethical magic company in my country that being become the largest in Asia by selling pirated VCDs and DVDs on titles such as Michael Ammars ECTCM series, Daryl Encyclopedia series... etc

Now, their sub-ordinate compnay, Live Magic, even published 2 new DVDs by Aldo Colombini!

The fact is, they use the money they earn by ripped off magicians to all over the world in order to make them look like a ethcial magic company now. This is no difference than money laundering!

You may simply ignore this message if you were cold-blooded. If you still love magic like me. I think we can do something.

With more than 20,000 members in the magic Café, we can all send a simple complaint email to Murphy's Magic Supplies and tell them what we know about this company. Why we are not going to buy their product and push Murphy to return all DVDs to them!

If you still do not believe my story, please read this blog and go links provide and judge for yourself.

http://www.xanga.com/becoming_the_jerk

I leave you to make the choice. I offer nothing, only the truth how suffering the magic community is happening in Hong Kong.

Once again, the unfair should stop here!

Sadly speaking,
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

http://rubiksdream.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
As you may have heard, IP does not currently exist in magic.
And copyright does not protect ideas.
And some countries don't have to respect copyright from other countrires.
Wait till the Chinese magicians start inventing and re-inventing stuff and bring that material to market.

Wait till mirror images of the P2P files available over there are more accessible here. ALL books will be online, free and available just days after publication.

And that is the path magic is on at the moment.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
1569 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
If that were what you mentioned, then I can say that, the future of magic is dimmed and I have no reason to see there is any chance magic can be preserved as an art form.

All I can imagine is the dying of magic. Just imagine, 20 years ago, when I saw some one do a sponge ball trick to me. I could not sit in front of a monitor and type 'magic' from my keyborad with endless result to show what 'magic' is. Now, everything's changed, but the development of technology simply make preservation of magic worse.

I say the above in very, very sad manner and I want anyone who read my post here know how I feel. Knowing the situation is one thing, can we do something about it?

I own a magic shop, and I spent all my life savings to make my wish come true. Because of those no one respect copyright problems, customers do not need to purchase any magic DVDs, all they need to do is to go to yahoo auction and can get copied once for 1/3 price compare with original ones. One of the worst example I heard is that Criss Angel Levitation is sold at US$1 only in China! No one have the need to go to magic shop anymore. I can foresee this will stretch to on-line magic shop and ultimately to magic dealers and creators of all magic. It is only a matter of time.

Well, I leave this open to any experience magic leaders who can give us some positive thinking about this dying market.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
ACF, here is what folks can do to ensure a future for magic. From speaking out against those who take without permission, no matter now "high and mighty" the community believes them to be... to suggesting to those who invent that it is not sensible to sell their works on an open market. All that and working on new stuff, writing and helping some who've asked for some assistance on their works.

There is a future for magic. Whether those who invent will continue to trade their good works for a few pennies and continuing the problems or not is up to them. Whether those who wish to learn magic will spend their money and time on trinkets and easy answers or learn to read and gain some knowledge from performing is up to them.

It is safe to sell forcing decks and neutral or public domain props. As to the rest... sorry, unless you are selling the works of local inventors or dealing direct, it's a sucker's market to try retail, when the internet and distributors set the margins.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Rock on, man! That's what I'm talking about!
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If these are produced in China, then there is not much that can be done. China does not recognize US copyrights. Or at least, they do not respect them.

If these are exact copies (more or less) of the originals, then they are in violation of copyright laws and anyone making, importing or selling them can be prosecuted. Some of the major distributors of videos do exactly that. They file charges and prosecute.

All you can do is let Murphy's, L&L, Stevens and the rest of the people involved know what is going on.

It won't make a huge difference, but it can hurt some of them a bit. To them, it's the same as producing knockoff Gucci bags and Rolexes.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
1569 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
I have give up my hope on magic, seems no matter how hard or how loud I scream about it, no one ever care the bloody fact is going on. If that were the case, why should I bother?

For me, well, I better stay in my place and remember what magic gave me in the past few years... and my life savings spend on open a decent magic shop with no pirate stuff, in return, I was treated like an idiot by local people and competitors.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » I need your help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL