We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Too many effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
860 Posts

Profile of boydy
There are thousands of effects and gimmicks out there.

What is everyones opinion as to rather than buying and trying to learn every single effect that you can get your hands on, why not just learn a dozon or so tricks really, really well as opposed to learning lots and lots of tricks and performing them badly.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I agree.
A few quickies for walk around and a couple of longer coin routines as well.

Keep in mind that a lot of people are undecided as to what they want to do and are exploring the possibilities.

Impulse buying can become an expensive habit.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Do you have any idea how hard it is to find those "right" dozen or so routines that will serve you over time and realistic circumstance?

It's never been about finding the latest and greatest. Just seeking what works or offers the most pragmatic magic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
I agree with Jonathan. It takes a long time to master the basics and even longer to figure out and refine what works best for you. Eugene Burger is always talking about reducing the number of effects that you do.

However, unless you put in the time, you will always be just doing someone else's tricks. If you become dedicated to learning, eventually you should be able to create some of your own routines or slights.

Good luck

Craig
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Using Eugene's train of thought, I have been scripting a show so that I can know not only what I want to perform, but why I want to perform it as well. The script and the effect working together to compelete the greater goal... entertainment.

Saturday I put on the show for the first time (in front of a audience) so we will see what works for them, and what needs to be reworked.

RevJohn
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
RevJohn:
GOOD LUCK with you show.

Bob
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thanks. Kind of excited.

And I actually hear that some people are going to come.

UH OH! (grin).

RevJohn
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
RevJohn: Let us know how it works out and good luck!

Craig
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
"And I actually hear that some people are going to come"

That reminds me of a Halloween show I did last year. It was a corporate event and I did walk around for about an hour before the show. That went over really well. I do a Benson Bowl routine with my hat which culminates with a giant 6 inch ball.

Anyway, the corporation had an open bar. When they ran out of booze they decided it was time for the show. They didn't want the show while everyone was drinking and partying. It sounded like a good idea to me. Altogether there were about a hundred people.

I went backstage. I had set up everything before hand so I only needed about a minute to shrug into my coat and make sure everything was just right. I open with a high power routine with a silk appearing from a fireball. This is done to driving music. Out I came, all hyped, ready to burn up the world.

All but about 8 people had left. When the booze was gone, so were they.

(sigh)

Oddly, I got three gigs from that show
astoundingbruce
View Profile
Regular user
Burlington, WI (USA)
127 Posts

Profile of astoundingbruce
Getting back to the original question:
Quote:
On 2006-01-23 15:01, boydy wrote:
Why not just learn a dozon or so tricks really, really well as opposed to learning lots and lots of tricks and performing them badly.

I agree. My opinion is that learning sleight-of-hand is the best overall option, as the magician is then able to perform with just about any coin(s) and at any time. Play around with these sleights (and perhaps a gimmick or two) until you have one or more solid routines. And of course, presentation is everything! Think about what you will say, why you do what you do, for whom you will perform! Don't just do tricks, make magic!
:spinningcoin: Smile
“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1094 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Well, I guess I'm a classic example, because I love all magic.

I do this full time, and make 90% of my income doing stand up/stage shows in schools, large church events, etc.

Yet, here I am in "show me the money". And what am I currently reading? A mentalism book by Chuck Hickok.

So, I love it all, but I make my living with some of the same few tricks that I've been doing for years and years. Those tricks are my living....and I guess I view the rest as a hobby....and learning about other areas of our art makes me a more well rounded entertainer.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Godel
View Profile
New user
California
71 Posts

Profile of Godel
Defintley learn a few tricks well instead of accumulating tons of secrets etc. Learn a few good coin tricks from Ammar's coin set-Shadow Coins, etc. I like the torn and restored bill where you tear the center and restore it. Funny and quick routine.
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
880 Posts

Profile of nique
I agree it's hard to find those few effects that become a staple part of your act. On top of that, after you learn the effect, over time you'll eventually end up tweaking it to become more of your own; in terms of handling or effect. But I guess that's the process that's enjoyable to us? Smile
"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You can only learn so much magic. Why so many of us specialize. And the top pros of the past (with maybe the exception of illusionists in the post TV era) had limited numbers of tricks they did, they just did them so much better than anyone else. Tony Slydini didn't do 10,000 tricks, but the ones he did, well nobody did them better. When it comes to coins, get a good two or three sets and stick with those.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
I hate to agree with Johathon (although as a lurker, I silently do.... and as a compliment), but he usually makes the most intellectual sense. This is usually the fist and the last starting point, but it is between the first and the last point that we find what we want to do.......We really have to read the people first, and the half dozen or effects we first think of would do are just fine (or better) if we pay attention to their reaction and mindset... More than half of the people I encounter want believe in magic (or want their children to)... that is more than enough....
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2006-01-23 15:01, boydy wrote:
There are thousands of effects and gimmicks out there.

What is everyones opinion as to rather than buying and trying to learn every single effect that you can get your hands on, why not just learn a dozon or so tricks really, really well as opposed to learning lots and lots of tricks and performing them badly.

If magic is a hobby to you, a dozen will be good for you. A lot of magicians do magic as a professional. They will need more than a dozen because the ones who work at restraunts will see a lot of the same patrons. It won't be right showing them the same thing over and over. Some magicians get repeat calls for a birthday party. The children will get bored watching the same show. And there are always more tricks/illusions being invented with improvement.

One of the rules of a "Real Magician" is to "Practice." That way there will be no "performing them badly" unless he/she is a fake magician.
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
The Slydini reference from Photious is a wonderful example. Magic should be not only entertaining, but also fill you with a sense of "wonder." Remember back to the first time you were truly amazed.
Tony Slydini.......no one did it better!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Too many effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL