The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Neilson Latex Dove (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Anyone use this fake? I am thinking of using this as a comedy production and vanish. Will it appear real for a few moments when produced? I plan to then fold it up slowly in full view then vanish using a p**l with a few stray feathers left in hand. Thanks in advance for any replies,( not a real dove worker ) Manal
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Personally I think the Owen Version for US$75.00 looks more real (the best!)...Norm's version not bad...you can try Viking's version at US$25.00.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
I use it for a comedy appearance. Tony Clark actually uses a half Neilson Latex Dove for a toss vanish to to a Phantom of the Opera mask. Just use you finger or thumb to simulate movement. See Tony Clarks' DVD Unmasks II.

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I use it in my production bird cage at the end of my dove act. It's only in view for about 10 seconds, but after working with birds during the act, it passes off as real very effectively.
Where the magic begins
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
Yes, the Neilsen definitely passes for a real dove for a few moments... but as Dave Scribner states, if the audience has seen you produce a few before the rubber one, it will pass for a real one even more.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Thank you all for the helpfull and courteous replies.

manal
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you are going for comedy, it does not matter if it looks real or not. They will enjoy the idea of the effect.

True it is best to introduce a real bird prior to the latex one, as this will cause the audience to wonder, plus it give a moment for the audience to think you simply reproduced the dove in some unique manner.
Eric Redman
View Profile
New user
Washington, D.C
14 Posts

Profile of Eric Redman
Manual

The idea of using a real bird first is great but you also have the option of working it backwards. If you do a fake bird first and do the "harmful vanish" for a laugh then produce real birds later, you can turn the first vanish in to a "running gag". Now when a bird appears the audiance is wondering what will happen. If you milk the suspence and then do harmless vanishes or what ever the audiance will start to feel some tension and release in you act.

Eric Redman
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
For comedy Later Dove production, look at Peter Gross's web page and you will find a funny video of his routine. Also agree with wmhegbli advice.
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
I use the Neilson Latex, to make a dove vanish, the dove gets switch to the Neilson and put into a paper bag, and when I point the bag down a feather drops out then I crush the bag,
And the faces on the audience, well lots of jaws drop.

One of my favorite dove vanish.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Quote:
On 2006-04-11 00:16, Maro Anglero wrote:
I use the Neilson Latex, to make a dove vanish, the dove gets switch to the Neilson and put into a paper bag, and when I point the bag down a feather drops out then I crush the bag,
And the faces on the audience, well lots of jaws drop.

One of my favorite dove vanish.

Maro

Careful with this one,
or you will inevitably have the
Animal Rights Wacko's after you!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Right on! IN Tony Clark's Unmasks II, he instructs that you should make it seem that the dove has vanished before crushing the bag... If you do not do that, they may need to call Animal Crueulty! :-P

-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If you crush the bag and drop the feather at the same time, then you may have a concerned audience. Turning the bad upside down first and allowing the feather to drop, looking at the bag in surprise and then crushing it should not raise any eyebrows even from the animal activists. It's all in the presentation.
Where the magic begins
templetrickster
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania, USA
105 Posts

Profile of templetrickster
Does anyone know if you can learn how the amazing jonathan chopped that dove up in the champions of magic 3 special?
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
Turn the bag upside down, let the feather drop, crush the bag SLOWLY into a ball, shouldn't be as disturbing to the animal activists.
randallmagic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of randallmagic
Who cares what the animal activists think? It isn't real.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I used these over the years, and usually the eye falls out first. I fill it in with a marker.

But, the Nielsen is the best.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Combining ideas from Dave and Neznarf:

Turn the bag upside down first, allowing the eye to drop out. Then, look at the bag in surprise before crushing it. This should not raise any eyebrows, even from the animal activists. It's all in the presentation.

:nod:
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Neilson Latex Dove (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL