The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Ghost Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kdb424
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburg PA
120 Posts

Profile of kdb424
What should I do with it?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
????? I put mine in my collection of cards.
:bikes: Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
DAVEC
View Profile
New user
ENGLAND,MANCHESTER
60 Posts

Profile of DAVEC
I think a bit more info would be advisable ,like what you were planning to do once you had them?.
As in your previous post you asked"GHOST DECK WHAT IS IT"(A BIT BRIEF IMO).
Anyway

"WHAT IS A GHOST DECK":A ghost deck is a pack of cards sold by Ellusionist.
"Buy?Yes or no?:Entirley up to you , just depends on what sort of magic you want to perform.
Give a bit more info on the magic you want to perform!
kdb424
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburg PA
120 Posts

Profile of kdb424
Sorry for the mistake. That was the ghost gaff deck. I like slight of hand moves, but don't know many. Thanks for the help.
DAVEC
View Profile
New user
ENGLAND,MANCHESTER
60 Posts

Profile of DAVEC
I think one good set of advice would be to purchase a set of regular priced cards and a good dvd or book to accompany them ie Royal road to card magic,or some of micheal Ammars dvds.
I take it your quite new to cards some advice would be to learn ALL the basics first,Before trying to concour moves involving gaff cards and such.
Dave .c
P.S Try searching the forumns for begginer books and dvds as there are so many.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2006-01-25 16:52, kdb424 wrote:
Thanks, I own ninja1 and 2 from ellusionist.com and many others. But my hands are somewhat small. so it's hard to do those tricks. thanks for the help!
It is said that the great Malini had hands so small that woman's size gloves were too big for him, but he was an accomplished performer and a master with cards. Don't let the size of your hands deter you from practicing, be persitent and stick with it...you will adapt, believe me. My hands are wreaked with arthritis but it doesn't stop me. Plus my hands are small also and despite these short comings I am persitent.
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Here is some advice; don't worry what other people say about bridge sized cards...try some out! Bridge sized cards are 1/4" smaller in width than Poker size, but they are the same length.
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>

Smile Smile Smile Smile
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Don't use them. since not a lot of people have seen them many will think it is a trick deck
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
From an artist's point of view (I studied commercial art) the cards are beautiful, but I am an longtime amateur and traditionalist and I will stick with standard cards. The thing about this deck in particular, is that it is hard to distinguish the suits from a distance and it does wreak gaffness. But, what a beautiful Ace of Spades design and I like the Jokers too!
<<<DOM>>>

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
In the UK, Bicycle cards are a rarity. Until very recently Poker-sized cards were also a rarity. Bridge sized cards are still the norm. The recent popularity of Texas Holdem is begining to change that but still bridge-sized cards are thew norm and bikes are still a novelty.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
When I began in magic almost 4 decades ago, all the cards were bridge size. Fox Lake and Aviator were the brands. I still have packet tricks from the '60s and '70s that are bridge sized. I have Svengali, strippers, nudist decks from that era in the Fox Lake brand which are no longer workers in this day and age. But what memories they conjure back when you hold them and man what a breeze it is to do the pass with those cards! I remember the countless hours I practiced the pass with those cards, it was easy. Then in the early '80s I was drawn away from magic for awile while in the Navy. I began back in the late '90s, and the poker size cards were the norm. I had to relearn the pass with the wider cards and man I almost quit, but with persistence I overcame it despite my small hands and arthritis. The transition from brige size to poker size cards is difficult for people with small hands, but possible...the good thing is that you will learn how important misdirection is when it comes to the pass! Smile
<<<DOM>>>

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magic Power
View Profile
Regular user
Taiwan
107 Posts

Profile of Magic Power
For collection...
I prefer using tally-ho
:)
"Be Nature"
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Since this thread was ressurected on the same day I got my first 2 ghost decks, I thought I'd make use of it. I came across them in an American bookshop in Amsterdam.

I've been playing with them all evening yesterday, and they feel great! The card stock is slighty thicker than regular bikes, but they don't feel stiff to me. I read a post a long time ago about them feeling like you are shuffling telephone books or bricks... Rubbish! I don't use a card clip, so the thicker deck doesn't trouble me.

The finish (UV500 Air-Flow) is also slightly better than the standard Air-Cushion finish. They are a little more slick, but strangely are not too alive for me. I usually drop a few cards while shuffling a new deck of bikes, until I have broken them in for an hour or so. With Ghosts I don't have that issue. They feel like I can simply break the seal and start performing.

The above is just my personal opinion, I am not writing that to hear your differing viewpoints. I just believe knowing why I want to use ghosts will help you answering my questions below.

Obviously they look different than "regular" cards. I love the design, including the fading edges of the backs. This is my main point in buying these cards, and my reason for bumping this thread. Here is the actual topic I'd like to discuss:

First of all, I feel these cards can work really well as stranger cards in a deck. Obviously red/blue works really well for most effects, but there must be some where it looks even better with red/white (Danish flag, I'm Danish), or with blue/white. I was even considering buying some black backed bikes to see how it looks with the ghosts, anyone tried this?

Obviously the faces of the red cards are less distinctive than the standard bikes, so transformations and changes could be more effective than just using the whole deck for performances.

So the questions become:

Do you know of effects/routines/patter where the colours (or lack thereof) might enhance the spectator experience?

Have you already tried this yourself, and if so, are there things that work particularly well or badly?

Anything else that comes to your mind?

I understand you need some details to better answer my questions. I mostly perform for a small group of people, 3-10 persons aged 25-40. Primarily these are friends or colleagues, and on occasion a few business contacts. This is usually in a bar oo restaurant setting, where I am seated at a table amongst the spectators. I will sometimes get up and stand next to the table, but I can easily clear the space I need.

I am Danish, but live in Amsterdam (The Netherlands) so I had never seen a Bicycle card before I started with magic, neither had any of my specs. They have never asked about the cards, and I don't expect them to start asking about the Ghosts either. Let's not open that debate again ;o)

I hope this can turn into a creative debate about how to best use the colours of our props, rather than fighting over personal preferences for back designs and card prices.

Michael
JeremyM0411
View Profile
Special user
Moody, Alabama
608 Posts

Profile of JeremyM0411
I personal do not like the ghost deck!!!! Ever deck I perform with has a metal card gaurd on it. So when I got the ghost deck I bought the card gaurd. Well even thought the card guard was on the deck they still have buckled and I cant get them back straight!!! I have never had this problem with any other bicycle deck before!! And I have left them in my car all day long in 100 degree weater!!! If someone can tell me how I can fix this or if I should trash this deck please email me Thanks Jeremy.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Try getting the Army of 52 DVD from Ellusionist (or at least check out the demo on their site). It may be what you're looking for to give you ideas. Mine is in my collection - probably won't use it - for a while any way.

Kaylan
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
PS...Jeremy - do you have access to a vice? That might do the trick for you.
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
I picked up a couple of Ghost decks at the local shop last week. I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but I find I am disappointed. They handle well, but I just do not like the design in my hands. As a collector, though, a worthwhile investment.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Jeremy, I had a regular bicycle deck warp really badly for me when I was on vacation. I set them up FU-FD-FU-FD-FU-FD etc. (turn on half face up and faro, or do it one-by-one if they can't faro with the warp) and I left it in the box for a few weeks. They all straightened out perfectly.

My ghosts are never in a clip, and they are still completely straight (same deck as I opened when I posted the above in mid july). Perhaps the Ghosts are just better for my climate than yours?

Michael
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Kaylan, are there tricks using a regular ghost deck with a regular bike deck in the army of 52, or is it dedicated to the gaffs exclusively? I didn't buy the gaff deck yet.

Michael
absynth
View Profile
New user
Tejas
62 Posts

Profile of absynth
I really like the Ghost Deck Jokers. So much so, I had some split and backed with Tally Ho, (I just don't like the Tally Ho Joker).
Jon
When Einstein said insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, he must not have attempted coin and card manipulations...or am I truly insane?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Ghost Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL