The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dishonest Abe Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I bought Dishonest Abe several years back, and actually performed it a number of times. Then I saw Carl Andrew's version, and loved it even more. Alas, I recently went to my magic shelf intent on bringing this back into my performing line-up, but all I can find are the props. The actual routine is gone (or filed somewhere in the middle of a magic book I suspect).

Would anyone be willing to help me out, and email a copy of the routine? If not, I understand. Just thought I'd ask. You can PM if you are able to help.

Please don't tell me to just go buy another one. I know I can do that. And perhaps that's what I'll need to do. Or maybe I'll get Carl's version on DVD.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
PM'd(or rathering PM'ing as we speak)
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
While you're pondering on which version to get, also check into Nathan Kranzo extremely visual routine, Fun-Tac Inflation...
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Thanks Eric!

SO you finally got a chance to watch the DVD. Smile

I'll have to admit my routine is probably the easiest inflation routine you will ever perform. But it doesn't lack anything when it comes to beign extremely visual as Eric mentioned.

Please PM me if you have any questions Scott.

Thanks,

Nathan
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Thanks guys for the info. I did a little more checking online and actually found the basic routine performed at http://www.penguinmagic.com/gregorywilson.php# .
With that and the props, I can start constructing a routine again.

Scott Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've never done the routine but I think it is a fine coin routine.
Perhaps it is not full of tough slights but it's a short, clear, humorous,
direct, easy to understand and follow routine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bwalendziak
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
78 Posts

Profile of bwalendziak
On Jan 25th Scott wrote:

"Thanks guys for the info. I did a little more checking online and actually found the basic routine performed at http://www.penguinmagic.com/gregorywilson.php# .
With that and the props, I can start constructing a routine again."

I was wondering how many routines that someone stumbles onto online could be reconstructed this way. Could a layman actually do this and develop new methods? Are we actually exposing by posting a performance video online that can be viewed over and over, paused and broken down that way? Just something I've been thinking about lately.

I always think back to that old rule "never repeat a trick"

Brian
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
I have a routine inpired by Dishonest Abe; I call it (The History of Money), and it is a 6 phases routine, I start with a regular penny which I ask the audience for, and by doing a combination of one coin routine moves and spellbound moves, in that prosses I make the penny grow to a half,dollar,jumbo,mini penny size and back to the penny they gave me; I did this rouitne in a chinese new year party last year,which I'm doing again this year and they ask me to include it again in my act, they really loved it.

It is a long routine with a bunch of moves though,but that is why I'm into Magic,LOL. maybe in the future I'll market it; but not now LOL.

Peace out there

Mano.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Quote:
On 2006-01-26 09:15, bwalendziak wrote:
"I was wondering how many routines that someone stumbles onto online could be reconstructed this way. Could a layman actually do this and develop new methods? Are we actually exposing by posting a performance video online that can be viewed over and over, paused and broken down that way? Just something I've been thinking about lately.

I always think back to that old rule "never repeat a trick"

Brian

Well Brian, I actually bought and performed this routine several years back, and I've been a magician for many years. So all I needed was to see the basic routine to refresh my memory, and the methods became obvious.

To answer your question though. Yes, I think if a layman has enough interest to watch a video over and over, he could figure out a rough method for duplicating the effect. To be cliche, this isn't rocket science. But we are in the information age, and if someone wants to find out our 'secrets' he will. As I've heard it said, the only reason we have secrets is because people don't really care enough to find out how to do them. When they care, then they become magicians.
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
I agree with you Scott O.

Mano.
bwalendziak
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
78 Posts

Profile of bwalendziak
Scott,

I wasn't taking a shot at you. Sorry if it came off that way. I couldn't agree more with your post. Very well said.

Brian
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Brian,

No problem. I didn't take offence. I was just clarifying.

I should add that this information glut will probably erode some clasic principles and gimmicks as time goes by. Already the TT is in most kids magic sets. I remember being fried by a simple handkerchief vanish. Now you risk the chance of some 7 year old saying "I know how you did that", and actually knowing the 'secret'. So methods are evolving and growing. And sublties are needed to make these things magical again. So, there is good and bad with this information age for magicians. We just have to think out good routines -- Workers, if you will.

Scott Smile.
Godel
View Profile
New user
California
71 Posts

Profile of Godel
Dishonest Abe is on the new Greg Wilson DVD set also.
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
I used to use this when I was bartending and it always went over well. Clever effect/plot and very visual.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dishonest Abe Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL