The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to put together a routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
I've been steadily learning for the past year now and can perform a fair few effects, but....

I'm now at the stage where I'd like to be able to put together a performance. I don't mean a professional performance but say a few varied 10-minute prepared 'impromptu' spots for friends.

I could simply do a trick, do another trick then do another trick but it seems to me that even such a short 'impromptu' show would go much better as a planned routine.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to choose an opener or a closer or make them flow together.

Any suggestions?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Well, IMO you should save your best for last, I think several here will agree with that. When arranging your effects make them where they flow together. Example: You open up with some coin magic, you want to get into cards, you may want to go into a coin matrix effect where the coins vanish from under the cards. You now have your coins out of the way and can continue with the rest. that's just an idea.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4393055
That pretty much contains my thoughts on the subject.

This is the second time I've done this, hope no one has a problem with it, but it just seems to apply.
Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
What a great post - thanks Jack.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
This might help:

For your opener select something that will immeadiately establish your bona fides. That is, make it something that tells your audience that you are serious about your magic, that fools them and that you can do with screwing up no matter what. This will serve two purposes. One, it will help make you less anxious and more confident in the rest of the material. Two, it will make your audience take you seriously which helps immensely with crowd control even if it is a crowd of one.

Fill the middle of the routine with your slower or longer material. Color Monte is a great middle trick, as generally are other solid story line effects and routines.

For the end or Finale, you need a routine that folks remember. It will probably be your best routine or the one you think is the strongest. A solid Signed Card in Wallet is a classic closer as is Chop Cup. Look for that item that PLAYS bigger than most of your close-up routines. Chop Cup or a superb Cups and Balls is good because the production sequence at the end is unambiguous and leaves big impact.

All best,
Brad Burt
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
946 Posts

Profile of Aus
Try this link: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

That should help.

Magically

Aus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to put together a routine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL