The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Valentine's Day Effects. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
What are some effects I can use for Valentine's day?
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
382 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Use a torn and restored heart to show how you lost your first love only to find true love as you restore it.
Thetruthteller
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Thetruthteller
You of course realize the Valentines Day was originally a pagan holiday called Lupercalia which celebrated debauchery and liciviousness. A holiday devoted to fertility and procreation.
I only bring this up because there was a discussion last year about Christians presenting effects for Halloween.
If one feels it is wrong to celebrate Halloween then they too must refrain from recognising Valentines day as well.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
The connection between what Valentines day was and what it is now is as different as night and day. On that day I sent cards to the people I love and care for just to tell them that. I take my wife out to eat and get her something nice because I love her. Not because I want to celebrate debauchery, liciviousness, fertility, and procreation, that is the last thing on my mind.

I can promise you if you don't remember Valentines Day there will be a lot of Christian men spending the night on the couch or in the dog house.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Doc Hailey has an effect called the Disobedient Heart. I use it in children's church and goes right in with Valentines Day.

Posted: Jan 26, 2006 9:31pm
Quote:
On 2006-01-26 20:51, Thetruthteller wrote:
You of course realize the Valentines Day was originally a pagan holiday called Lupercalia which celebrated debauchery and liciviousness. A holiday devoted to fertility and procreation.
I only bring this up because there was a discussion last year about Christians presenting effects for Halloween.
If one feels it is wrong to celebrate Halloween then they too must refrain from recognising Valentines day as well.

I guess Christians shouldn't be doing magic either.
Thetruthteller
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Thetruthteller
Quote:
On 2006-01-26 21:20, Darkwing wrote:
The connection between what Valentines day was and what it is now is as different as night and day.

As is Halloween. I just find it hypocritical that some people blast those who celebrate the one holiday but think nothing about celebrating the other themselves.

The aniversary card trick is always a good choice for the holiday as well as an effect using a clear change bag where two people affirm the fact that they were made for each other by choosing the same valentine or sweet heart candy.
A torn and restored paper heart using the cigarette paper restoration method would be especially pretty.
A variation on Andersons "squaring the circle" where a heart shape instead of a square is revealed could play well.
Just some ideas off the top of my head
Belleque
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Belleque
As many of you know Duane Laflin has stopped the mail order portion of his ministry to focus on other areas. His daughter, Rebecca Lock, has opened (with her family)a mail order website that carries all his effects. As a subscriber to her e-newsletter I was quite suprised to find that it contains some great routines - for free! The latest news letter had a couple of great routines for Valentines day including a gospel routine. Sign up for that e-newsletter at http://www.lockfamilymagic.com. I hope this helps!

Brett
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My wife is Lucy. So when she is performing with me it is easy. I use a dye tube that results in my "I Love Lucy" silk. You can make one for your sweetheart. Sharpie Pens work great on real silk.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mommymagic
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of mommymagic
Brett, thank you for the nice comments concerning our newsletter. I have been researching Dad's books, magazines, and lecture notes. I hope to continue his newsletter tradition with a newsletter that provides routines that teach the gospel, as well as routines to cover other areas of magic. In the future, I will be including lists, tips for presentation, and more. Anyone who would like to contribute a routine, lesson, tip, or technique is welcome to submit it to us. I put a great deal of thought, time, and effort into the newsletter and I hope that it helps magicians, as well as other performers, in their work.
STANGMMX
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of STANGMMX
You could always do the good 'ol paper rose Smile gets the ladies every time lol
SMU Class of 2010
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Belleque
Thanks for the Laflin website http://www.lockfamilymagic.com. ,
I've been looking for it for a while.

I agree with STANGMMX, if you know the "Napkin Rose" (same trick, right?), it is "made" for Valentines day. If you don't know it, have access to it, and have a lot of time to practice between now and then Smile , get it.

Steve Smile
gibson99
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of gibson99
Daneil Garcias's Torn using the Ace of Hearts.
triadsong
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
170 Posts

Profile of triadsong
Just a quick note but many of the Holidays we celebrate today were originally pagan holidays that were 'Christianized' to clean out and bring morality to their rituals. While it is sad that the Halloween/other holiday debates will go on ad infinitum, I think its important to hold on to what we have in the present and focus, especially today, on God's greatest Love -- us! God loved us so much that He became us just to save us from ourselves!

Enjoy the day celebrating with those you love!

Vinny
triadsong
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
170 Posts

Profile of triadsong
Just a quick note but many of the Holidays we celebrate today were originally pagan holidays that were 'Christianized' to clean out and bring morality to their rituals. While it is sad that the Halloween/other holiday debates will go on ad infinitum, I think its important to hold on to what we have in the present and focus, especially today, on God's greatest Love -- us! God loved us so much that He became us just to save us from ourselves!

Enjoy the day celebrating with those you love!

Vinny
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Easter too was a pagan holiday - it's name is even pagan. Christmas is held when it is as it was the time of the winter solstace. Really, who cares? There are far more important things to concern us today than flapping about like half-wit versions of Ned Flanders.
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
Halloween? I always thought it was Reformation day. Oh man, Oh man.
Arthur
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Valentine's Day Effects. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL