The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Slightly alternate Sinful presentation... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

williamtbrady
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
56 Posts

Profile of williamtbrady
Do you think the presentation here benifits from the coin not going in first time?
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=7440

I did it this way once as a mistake, but found I got a better reaction as they heard the difference on the second attempt and it helped sell the illusion.

What do you guys think?

I would really appreciate your comments

Love & Peace

Will
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hi Will,

Very, very good job!
I saw someone do this yesterday 'live' for the first time. He didn't succeed the first time by accident (just like you) and that made the illusion even stronger for me! I was completly fooled, I purposely tried to stop myself from figuring it out, because it felt great to be astonished!

So my opinion is: if you miss on the first attempt it will make this illusion only stronger.
Keep up the good work!

regards
Simon
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Looks good Will, the only reason I see for "missing" the first strike is that you did'nt hit it hard enough, I liked that you striked it harder the second time, I belive the sound the impact makes on the second try is crucial, it has to make a "bang!".
Only thing, try spreading your fingers even more freely when showing the can is sealed both on top and bottom.
Still, great job!

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well I can't view the video where I am at the moment. Internet acess if too slow at the moment. But I have found that holding the quarter in the palm at the base of the, life line is best I can describe it, for a good sound and without hitting the knuckles.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
It is pretty sweet. Well as you guys know I gave a review of this effect a while ago. Well This weekend was the first time I actually did it to anyone. I floored all of them It was great. I also found that if you make a mistake it can work a bit better. My mistake was that I hit the coin with the edge of the bottom. Also I found that if I joke about it and try to make go through the side of the can and say. Come one what am I a miracle worker? No one can do that. The weak spot is right here. Execute step one. Great effect and good job williamtbrady

Oh one more thing when I choose to get the coin out or not let them keep it. I tear it in half. Its easy and I have not gotten cut. Plus if you bend it right you can sometimes alter the can. Making it almost impossible for them to think anything about it.
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Florida
683 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
William & Paisa,

Many thanks for the ideas! I believe this is the single best effect of 2005 because of it's ability to be done in any circumstance with zero set up and nothing added or taken away! Your additions help make it even stronger in my view.

Best,

Bobby
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Anything to help.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
You did a great job in the video. I just learned the trick this weekend. I can not wait to try it on people. Smile
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
People go crazy when they see this. I couldn't believe it the first time I did for a group of people. Do a coin in bottle before or after this and it's even better.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Well a couple comments:

I am indifferent on the not working the first time thing. I tend to like it to work straight away because it gives people less time to think about the bottom of the can, sometimes it really will not work the first time and that is easy to cover.

The two things I think you need to work on is that after the "penetration" you are holding the can at WAY too much of an angle. You should angle the can more downward, NOT upwards as you are... that looks unatural and is not needed for the effect to work. Likewise when you pour out the Coke why on Earth is the can upside down? Maybe that was just a mistake but I think you did it like that intentionally so the coin would not fall out. Trust me, the coin is not going to fall out if you simply pour it naturally. You would never open a Coke and hold the can upside down with the opening on top and you should not do that here either. If you have fear of the coin coming out simply do not open the tab all the way and the metal tab pushed into the can will prevent the coin from a quick exit.

I disagree with an above poster in that I think you are holding your fingers well, PLENTY of space between them, in fact much more space would look a bit foolish.

Overall nice presentation but I think those two things could use some work to polish it up.
williamtbrady
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
56 Posts

Profile of williamtbrady
Hi TeevTee

Thanks for your comments, perhaps I should try to explain, without exposure.

Here in the UK since doing this trick I have discovered there are TWO designs of coke can, one is perfect for 10p and the first slam.
The second design although looks exactly the same is no good for 10p, £1.00 or 20p is needed and the first slam is very tricky, hence the angle and the pour, believe me a £1.00 coin WILL fall out in the flow as you empty the can Smile
Both can designs look almost identical.

But the effect is still do-able with both designs not to spoil it, I don't think most people would notice.

Whatever you do, don't try it with pepsi cans, it must be the tin they use in construction, the coin just will NOT go in ;o)

Love & Peace

Will
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Hi Will...

I can understand that you have some different problems to solve using UK coins... but I still think even having the coin fall out may be better than pouring the Coke upside down. That just looks really, really odd to me. You could always pour about 3/4 out and then slow the pour and start shaking the can in an upright position to prove the coin is in there.

I would also try to hold the can at less of an angle after the first slam. U.S. quarters at least will do what they need to do even if the can is angled quite a bit down, it looks MUCH more natural.

I think you ahve a good presentation but I have been doing this for a bit and the reactions I get are just outstanding!
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Also Will...

If you are going to put a video up on the web why not make sure you have the type of can that DOES work well so you can do the slam and pour properly? It's great that you know there are two different types in case someone hands you the "bad" type. but under ideal perfroming conditions you might as well use the "good" can and do a proper performance. Right?
williamtbrady
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
56 Posts

Profile of williamtbrady
Yeah, true, but I'd just bought a case of 24 cans and set my camera up only to discover they were all the wrong type can! Smile

Next time I'll be in the shop taking a can out of each case trying to slam a 10p in it before purchase, haha Smile

Thanks for all your input.

Love & Peace

Will
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Slightly alternate Sinful presentation... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL