The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing a new effect... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I have a unique routine/ or trick and was curious as to marketing it. I know there is an initial investment as far as building up an inventory to be marketed; however, how do you promote this item to the dealers and get the product out for the magic community?

All ideas or experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Bryan
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Bryan,

I market an effect known as, "Match A Flash." A close up routine- where a coin vanishes. A matchbox is brought out and shown to be genuine. You take one of the matches and ignite it on the striking pad. Proceeding on you touch that same match to all the others in the box- there's a burst of flames, and voila all that's left is that same initialed coin.

How did I market it? A lot of it came from here on the Café. I went to the forum page that was dedicated to, 'new effects' or something like that. I asked if anyone would mind testing out this new prototype effect. I sent the first 50 PM (serious inquires) the effect. No charge to them. Along with a critique form. This was the only thing they had to do- was fill this out. I then got feedback from it. Some positive- some negative. But to each their own.

Submit it to MUM/MAGIC/Or Genii magazine. Then just market it off yourself. Do all the shipping, etc yourself. It's in my opinion the best way to go. I would not advise giving it to another corporation to fabricate (hence Penguin magic, etc.) Change that- I would strongly not advise it.

Hope some of this helps. Best of luck, and if you have anymore concerns just let me know!

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Thanks Matt!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bryan,

If this effect is relatively small and easy to explain, I would recommend that you go to George Schindler (Showbiz Services), Hank Lee, or others who routinely introduce new effects. For one item with no existing customer base for other products, introduction by yourself may simply be too costly. You can benefit from the "borrowed image" of a reputable dealer. You still get the credit and hopefully make some money.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Bob is very correct. It can be expensive. I know it was when I tried to do mine solo. I wish I would've sent it to Hank Lee or others in the first place. But now I know for future products. Best of luck to you Bryan; looking forward to seeing it on the shelves!

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bryan,

Have you made a decision? The world is waiting!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Douglas
View Profile
New user
El Paso, TX
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Douglas
Have a friend record you teaching the effect and/or how to make it on a video recording. Check out http://www.customflix.com and see if you like the idea of them duplicating DVDs for you and drop shipping them as they are ordered. See some of the other threads about marketing on the web for little or no cost. You can publish instructions in ebook format and market /sell them yourself or see if somebody like http://www.lybrary.com likes your effect and will market it for you (sell/distribute for percentage of sales).

Hey,just some ideas. Sell it as information as opposed to a product that you make in your basement and fill up your garage with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing a new effect... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL