The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Appearing/Dancing Cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
STANGMMX
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of STANGMMX
So Prom is coming up for me, and I have to get my hands on a good cane. I need one that is solid, nothing flimsy and plastic like, I KNOW someone is going to one to see it, so, it has to seem pretty solid. Dancing would be nice... I heard of one guy being able to make the cane dance while taking his gloves off... I find that hard to believe, but if there is a cane that can dance independently like that, please let me know. Peter Loughran's cane looks cool, I like the flame. I really like the flame actually. Dancing isn't really all that neccessary, in fact, lose the dancing. A good, solid, appearing and disappearing cane would be ideal. Thanks
SMU Class of 2010
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Fantasio's main brand, that's the only one I know by,
honestly, how solid can an appearing cane get?
and..
Quote:

So Prom is coming up for me,

I really don't understand the relation between that and you needing a cane?
STANGMMX
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of STANGMMX
...Prom... You wear a tux... I'll have a cane with my tux... lol wow
Solid as in not plastic... I've heared Fantasio is flimsy...
SMU Class of 2010
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
If you want a nice Appearing or Disappearing Cane, check out the metal Walsh-style canes available. They cost more but I think are worth the extra money. You can get them from most good magic stores or on line.

Check them out at Hank Lee's
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/pr......p;page=1

Hope this helps
kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Neither the dancing cane, nor the appearing cane should EVER be put into the hands of a spectator.

There are other makes of canes besides the Fantasio, many are made of metal, but they still should never be examined by a spectator. That is not the intended use.

The dancing cane is not something that is easily performed... correctly. Poorly done, it is little beyond pathetic. In fact, an appearing cane is somewhat akin to a weapon in the wrong hands. Neither is something to stroll a party with.

I know of one young person who can take off gloves while performing the dancing cane. It is like Cardini taking off gloves while manipulating cards. It has nothing to do with a special cane... it has everything to do with talent and hard work.

Oh yeah... we were supposed to lose the dancing... better still... lose the cane. Just go to your prom and focus on treating your date like a lady.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Ditto Mr Baker.. that's what I tried to say.
The appearing cane can be a weapon in someone's hand used incorrectly, but disappearing cane? Oh man, I've seen raw hands, completely raw, because they used disappearing cane incorrectly.

Besides, walking around with it?........
I neither understand nor recommend walking around with it. It could call a disaster and that would be worse than doing a floating cane with a regular cane wouldn't it now?
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I have seen people walking around with a cane once in a while. I didn't think anything of it. Some people just like to use one (some out of necessity). In any event if it fits the persona the person is striving for, more power to him.

As to the statement that the cane should NEVER been given out for examination, Fantasio used to make a Cane gimmick that disconnected. It was meant to be used on any cane Fantasio made, but the idea could be used on any cane if you understand the physics involved.

As for my experience, I had no place to practice the cane; so I went to a local nightclub. I figured I could practice before they opened as the DJ was getting set up and stuff. As I got more proficient, I started practicing later and later until I was practicing while people were dancing. One night, a guy across the room stood up and started walking toward me demanding to see the cane. It was then I was given a miracle. The gimmick broke as the cane came around my back and the cane traveled about 10 feet to straight to the guy, maintaining it's vertical position (or close to it). My hands were pointing towards the guy when he caught it. He looked it over and continued to walk towards me. I dropped the gimmick on the floor (it was dark) and he handed the cane back to me. He shook my hand and said it was the most amazing thing he had ever seen.

The story grew throughout the night. And in the end, the manager heard about it and I became the house magician for the next 3 years.

Moral? Never say Never.

Personally, I don't do the cane. It's not me, it doesn't fit my act, and the cane has been sitting in a packing box for the past 25 years. And there it will stay. Hmmmm...maybe something else to sell. Anybody interested in a Dancing Cane?
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-01-28 23:08, Michael Baker wrote:
Oh yeah... we were supposed to lose the dancing... better still... lose the cane. Just go to your prom and focus on treating your date like a lady.

You think she would appreciate that? LOL!

Hey as long as she never finds out that a stick once held higher priority than she.
The GodFather
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of The GodFather
Anything that you choose can be transformed into a dancing object. A hat, a cane, a pool cue, a sword etc. so usually performers choose the prop to go well with their style and theme. I believe you must first buy a cheap dancing cane to see what is it and how it works and then to do your own. Jeff McBride has a nice teaching tapes where he explains the dancing cane too.

One more thing to know, the dancing cane is not for everyday use. It's a prop that is strictly for stage since the gimmick is very visible in a regular environment. Moreover, if you ever perform it in a regular environment your dancing cane performance must be less than 10 seconds to be convincing.
"My goal is to spread around happiness and entertainment, by erasing the illusion of time and live in eternity "

The GodFather Magician
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
I think that if you really want to use a cane, I would just get a vanishing cane and have some flowers inside it for her when it vanishes. Unfortunately, you could get 5-6 fake flowers or possibly one real one...

Derek Merdinyan
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I just got my appearing cane in the mail. I got it at Stevens magic. The brand is harakhan. They are by far the absolute best appearing canes I have ever seen in my life. If you want to spend a little and have the best bar none, go to http://www.stevensmagic.com and search for "cane", it will come up. If you have any questions about it let me know...

DJ
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Just had to jump in on this forum to tell you about my Dancing Cane DVD and Cane. It is the finest of it's kind. This is not an ad, it's just the facts. There is at least one appearing dancing cane on the market by Sorcery Manufacturing. But, If I were the gentleman who started this thread, I would follow the advice from others...don't do it!
http://www.precisionmagic.com
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Dmann-
I watched the demo video. You've got some nice moves. Way cool!

Derek Merdinyan
STANGMMX
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of STANGMMX
WOAH, yeah that demo for the dancing cane. WAY CLASSY.
SMU Class of 2010
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
It's been a while since I've seen Dmann's Dancing Cane demo but what I saw was really good stuff. His approach is as creative as his Multiplying and Shrinking Hot Rods. Really creative. He's slick.
magician211
View Profile
New user
Key West, FL
63 Posts

Profile of magician211
I do the dancing cane and I would suggest David's if he had some. He should get some by March 1st I think. By the way I am the young person Michael is talking about, I take off my gloves in my cane act. It is possible think about it;).

By the way, a dancing cane would be nice. An appearing cane would be great to walk into the prom and while everybody is sitting there get in the middle and pow, it opens. That would be a good opener. If you find a good one you might be able to fit the fantasio gimmick on it which turns it into a dancing cane and fire one I think. I haven't tested it. Does anyone know how the gimmick is? Is it well made? Good luck with finding stuff for prom! I have another 2 years before I can go.

Christian
"Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination." Gene Wilder
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
I grew up using Fantasio Products and have read all of his books! Tremendous stuff! But, I don't believe that an appearing cane (of the metal type) can be adapted to fit the fantasio gimmick. The cane does not appear at a consistent length or width. So the gimmick will always be too small.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-01-30 19:17, magician211 wrote:
By the way I am the young person Michael is talking about, I take off my gloves in my cane act.

Verified. I've seen Christian do it. That's one reason why I booked him for SEAM this year. He fries people with his cane routine.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magician211
View Profile
New user
Key West, FL
63 Posts

Profile of magician211
Thanks Michael for the kind words! I can't wait for SEAM!

Christian
"Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination." Gene Wilder
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
I just wanted to jump in to let everyone know that Chris Compton one of my personal interest protege's (sorry if I didn't spell it right) and friend to many of you on the forum just took second place in the Juniors Division at the Columbus Magi-fest convention. Needless to say I am very Proud of him! I rest my case on the Dancing Cane that can be done longer than 15 seconds. Christians routine is 7 minutes long to the second.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Appearing/Dancing Cane (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL