The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Party For 11 Year Olds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
In a couple of weeks I'll be doing a birthday party for around ten 11 year olds. I must admit, this will be the first one for that age group as I usually do parties for kids between the ages of 3 to 7. I do have the repertoire to cover a 40 minute show for "older" kids, and I will be using audience volunteers. When I do shows for the younger kids I get them involved in the show with a lot of hand clapping, finger waving, miscalling of colors, shouting out magic words, look, don't see...well you get the point. I really don't think that this will work for this age group. Will kids of this age be able to do more "watching" than 5 or 6 year olds? Do they think shouting out magic words is kinda dumb? Any advice would be appreciated from those that perform for this age group.

Thanks,
Harv
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Do not talk down to them. If you treat them like 5 year olds they will leave the room in the middle of your show. Kids 11 years old need a mental challenge, so I would do an adult, or family show, but I never do kiddie magic, so I might not be the right one to ask.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Harv:

If you perform for adults, I recommend you do the same show for this age group. Stay clear of all the normal comedy stuff for the younger audiences - magician in trouble, silly magic words, look-don't see, etc.

Perhaps a guideline to go by is to think if adults would think a particular line or situation is funny or dumb. Then, treat this audience as an adult audience. Teaching them some magic (ala magic class) would be terrific.
A rope routine will go over well. Simple mentalism like Jumbo B'wave too. Danger effects like a hand chopper will be a big hit. Other things I can think of are McCombical Deck, Pom Pom Pole, linking rings, and bill/card to wallet. If you have any "killer" close up effects that really fool people, you can do that for a small group of 10 or so.

Just remember...the typical 11 year old really fears being treated like a little kid, and will dislike you very much if you treat him/her that way.

Good luck to you.

Ron
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
Ron,
I was reading your post and it just sort of hit me. Teaching them magic would be wonderful. That age group is a difficult group to entertain. If somebody did a show that was more like a lecture with teaching they may get into it even more. I like the idea.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Hi,

I have performed many a show for this age group and older aswell.

Infact, in order to be more prepared for these "one-off" bookings (because they are certainly not as common as younger birthday parties), I have produced my own special 8 and ups show. I call it "my advanced show" when I am asked by the parents what programmes I have to offer.

It includes stuff like: ring and rope, a block penetration, thumbcuffs, rising card, zombie ball, juggling etc etc.
Each routine kind of outlines a specific form of magic - for instance: the Zombie is a levitation, thumbcuffs are an escape, the block is a penetration and so on.
I present the show in a way where I kind of go down a list of what the magic world consists of and show an example of each by presenting the illusion.

So, this is not a magic lesson where I teach them tricks but it is a fun and "showy" way of presenting each trick because the kids become alert and willing as the show proceeds as they know that there is a new surprize for them trick after trick and not just some quack up on the stage trying to make them laugh at a poor attemp to show them some very childish tricks.

You could try this and see if it works for you. All you have to do is go through your material and knowledge and repertoire of routines and pick out the individual routines and magic that each have there own stand: levitation, penetration, escape, comedy, sucker, production, vanish, close up, transformation, teleportation and the list goes on...

Enjoy,
Dani
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Gentlemen.........thanks for the advice.

Harv
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Party For 11 Year Olds (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL