The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Performance Clothing - Can someone recommend a source (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I am researching performance clothing and would like to enlist the aid of the Café members. Would appreciate it if you could provide me with info on sources for costume makers, etc. Thinking of something distinctive without being too clowny, perhaps a Cirque de Soleil kind of look...not certain exactly what I want but will know what I want when I see it...thanks!

Smartini
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I have a costume designer in Memphis for some of my cast (she works for a theater company making costumes) but I make my own clothing for the show. Maybe you should check with a theater company to see if there is someone who can design you something locally.

I would also suggest you go to a fabric store and browse through the pattern catalogs for costumes. Search online and print out the costumes that catch your eye. Check out Cirque's website and use as inspiration, but don't copy.

Look through magazines and cut out things that catch your interest and start compiling a group of ideas to present to a designer. It is helpful if you give them some images with which to work.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
382 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Many of the tuxedo rental places sell used tuxedo's at great prices.
mjeayres
View Profile
New user
UK
94 Posts

Profile of mjeayres
I use a company in Las Vegas, (even though I am from the UK) They are called Design Concepts and have provided costumes to Lance Burton (his dove coat, where 12 doves fly out was made by Design Concepts)she has also made costumes for The Venetian gondolier outfits and for many of the Lookalike shows. She is very creative and provides good design sketches. If you want to PM me with your e-mail address I will gladly e-mail you a scan of the design sketch, but I am not sure if I have a photo of the finished article though. Her website is
http://www.designconceptsproductions.com

Have a chat with her she is very amicable.

Marcus
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Smartini,
You may want to check out (if you have'nt already) some of the old Vaudeville books and performer books at your local library. Great for brainstorming or looking at options.
If you need old time hats of real quality, there is the "pickling company" that I get mine from that are the "real deal" and will last for many, many years. I can also hook you up with one of the vintage stores that Hollywood goes to called "Trash Can Annie's"...they have things you would'nt believe (including some of my grandmother's original flapper dresses...I'm not kidding! After she passed away last spring we sold off some of her vast collection to the owner. Don't worry, we did'nt sell it all...my house is like a museum!). Hollywood also uses the "pickling company" that I use. I can pm you the info if you wish.
Chris
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2006-01-30 18:27, rossmacrae wrote:
You oughta see http://goodmagic.com/dvdx/bdvid/pants.htm

Ross, you are joking arn't you??? Sorry mate, but I wouldn't be seen dead wearing those Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ross Baby
You scared me for a minute. I know you have a page on your web site dedecated to "don't exspect fine clothing", so when I saw you make fashion recomendations I thought you were selling out on us. When I went to that site you recomended I realized you are still the same fashion tragedy you have always been, please never change. Remember the words of the Billy Joel song "I love you just the way you are".
you big pinyata
Al Angello

Billy Whizz
He's not jokeing, just take a look at his web site.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Ok now thatmy heart has started up again, hehehe I can post. Man if I wore those tie-died pants I don't know what would happen.hehehe

Any ways, I got some really cool jackets and pants and shirts from a men's clothing store called Brigade. I think they are around in different areas and may be online. They basically cater to the fine young gentlemen who wants to make a scene out on the town or in a nite club etc. It is a crazy place but that have jackets and suites and shirts and pants in the most cool styles and colors around. For me, it was a kid in a candy store type of day. That is where I found my red jacket. I also have a yellow one and a blue one in different styles.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Kyle I don't think you have to worry any longer as the tied dyed pants have apparnetly vanished from the site!
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Still there
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Zootsuitsore.com has some fun stuff (they made the suit for Jim Carrey in 'The Mask').
magic-markus
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of magic-markus
I can only tell you some places in Germany. Normaly I make my own designs and give it to the dressmaker but I found an intredting website http://www.heinemann-hamburg.de/
they make special suits for magicians and entertainer. Have a look. Hope that helps ??

Markus
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Markus,

thanks for the info...I checked out the site and did like the style of one of the jackets...I'm going to email them probably tomorrow and see if I can get more info...I appreciate the help...take care!

Smartini
20Robert04
View Profile
Regular user
Midland, MI
152 Posts

Profile of 20Robert04
Ross
I actually have to thank you. I currently wear neon green and orange shoes (mix and matched), I also have bright sweatshirts and t-shirts. I am ordering these pants. I have been looking for somthing odd to add to my wardrobe, and these are them. I wanted neon green or hunting orange, but these are so much better.

Paul
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
If you look for clothing for Renaissance Fairs (Ren Faire) on the net you will find a good number of seamstress that make costumes for everything - and they are usually priced pretty cheap. Example, I am having some shirts made to order. Baggy sleeves, frills on the cuffs and going down the center for $50 each. They are triple stitched and cheaper than if I could find ones pre-made. I have "special things" designed into them especially for magic. Example: I have a leather doublet (vest) with some pulls built in, as well as a toppit. Cost, $150. It is very nice.

I think you will find that clothing specially made for you is the way to go. When you describe your show, it sounds like you can afford it, and it is well worth while.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

CaptainKid,

thanks for the suggestion as it's helpful on a couple of fronts...for my show and for my school which is having a Renaissance Fair next month...I have wanted to find something that matches my performing style/character for a long time and just haven't gotten around to it...until now I've gotten by with a really nice black suit and some other distinctive clothing that looks professional...performance clothing is kind of like buying the sound system and backdrop they help the look of your show immensely but you still think about all of the cool magic you could get instead...cheers!

Smartini

ps. probably could have afforded lots of nice performing clothing if I hadn't bought all this stuff from Chance Wolf
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
20Robert04

Where do you get neon colored shoes.
Back in the 90's I bought every color Reebok hightop/velcro sneaker. I still have and use them. But neon shoes would be cool or hot. That hot! Never mind Paris.

http://www.internationamale.com has GREAT shirts from time to time. All you have to do is ask for a catalog and they will send you one every month. Different seasons have different clothes. Not cheap. I have every color satin shirt they make. Good quality and bright. A little hot, but that's satin for ya.

Ross
I actually have to thank you. I currently wear neon green and orange shoes (mix and matched), I also have bright sweatshirts and t-shirts. I am ordering these pants. I have been looking for somthing odd to add to my wardrobe, and these are them. I wanted neon green or hunting orange, but these are so much better.

Paul
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Performance Clothing - Can someone recommend a source (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL