The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Seeing through a Woman (Disembodied Princess) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
Does anyone know if there are any plans for sale of the Disembodied Princess (Seeing Through a Woman) Illusion?

I am going to build my own (only because I want to specifically theme it) and although I know exactly how it works, the exact technical specs of the construction can be a little tricky.

Julian
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Hi Julian,

The plans I used came from Paul Osborne. They are very clear and give every detail, and I was in the same boat- I knew how and what I'd be building, but wanted to make sure that I didn't miss any important details. Paul's blueprints are great! PM me and I can give you a few additional things I found when building mine. Good luck!

Phil
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1321 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Hi Julian,

Jim Steinmeyer did a variation for Doug Henning's road show that can be done surrounded. He published the plans in Genii. If you're interested, PM me and I'll get you more info.

Thanks,
Richard
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Get the recent Paul Osborne Classics Volume 2. It has Two versions of the Disembodied Princess as well as how to make facial molds.
Dennis Michael
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Rtgreen,

It was in the November 2003 issue. Good article in there as well.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
Thanks, Dennis! Ordered it today...
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Now that's how it's done .. well done boys. Magicians helping magicians. Just to let you know .. one of the most difficult elements of this illusion is the life cast. This must be done right and be convincing .. otherwise you're not fooling anyone .. only yourself. Good luck ..

Steve
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
I found this great kit for the life casting at http://www.artmolds.com/product96.cfm. If anyone has any suggestions or advice for this stage illusion that they can pass my way, that would be most appreciated.
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
PM me for detailed info.
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The Disembodied Princess, is one of my favoriates. I absolutely love it.

Here are some thoughts on this topic:

Use of Assistant:
When the assistant isn't a life partner, then the box has to be redesigned for a new assistant with new molds or, an assistant needs to be selected to fit the box. This can be a potential problem.

Use on Self:
Never need to cast another mold, or make a new box when the assistant leaves. Assistants act as the faciliator for the magician. Lance Burton did this quite effectively on his Secrets of Magic DVD. John Kaplan did this on his Halloween fundraiser VHS tape. It's an optional alternative to the above.

Eyes are Deceivers:
The effective presentations have the performer where sun glasses because the eyes don't blink. They are dead giveaways on this effect. So is movement of the head, so head must be fixed.

Performance:
Take a look at John Bundy's Halloween performance, watch for the misdirection using the blades. It is presented quite convincingly. Also notice the combining of two illusion put the performace in a different perspective. See: John Bundy's Weird Science

Hope this helps.
Dennis Michael
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
Thanks, Dennis. Those are great tips.

I do remember the Lance Burton version - I think that's my favorite of all, just for the "**** switch" alone. Undetectable! That's brought back memories.
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
OHCollector
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of OHCollector
Bumping this up because this new member is getting caught up on some of the older threads. Does anyone know who built Copperfield's?
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
880 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I believe it was David Mendoza, but I'm not certain...
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
153 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Hi Guys

Have a look at Russ Stevens version of this illusion (Link Below). It's fantastically well built by the looks of it. I also love Russ's presentational idea of it being an escape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKB7m5bHFw

Rich
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
I remember seeing him perform this. Love it - and a great piece of apparatus.

Too much black for my liking - this could be done with fairly bright lights.
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Frank are you sure?,I thought I seen Copperfields in Bill Smiths photo album when I seen him last year. I could be wrong though.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
I think Mendoza build the one for Copperfield & Bill Smith build one for Kirby Van Burch (special arrangment with Copperfield)
The one performed by Russ Stevens was build by Mendoza for Wayne Dobson and is now in the hands of Christian Farla...
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Don Wayne said he built Copperfields illusion
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Julian - what is about yours? Did you finish it?
Or didn´t you? If not - what where the reasons - changing assistants, no adequate stages, building probs,... ?
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Guys,

The Disembodied Illusion that I performed was indeed built by David Mendoza, but had the spike unit constructed by Peter Hart. Anyone in the UK wanting superb quality and design should consider Peter, who is also Johnny Hart's brother.

Best,
Russ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Seeing through a Woman (Disembodied Princess) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL